Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Real Nutria Quality 1930's Visalia Stock Saddle Co. Priced@$13.00

001xeg.jpg

002sei.jpg

003cfj.jpg

1920s Stetson Clear Nutria

Western or soft dress hat?... that is the question. This hat arrived with a 2" black grosgrain ribbon with wide box pleat bow at the front of the hat. My sense is the ribbon was not original to the hat - perhaps a later milliner's adaptation for a woman wearer? It is, after all, a fur hat.

The hat also came with a very finely woven horsehair band. The dimensions are modern dress western - 5 1/2" crown, pencil curl brim to 3". I removed the ribbon for the time being and will wear it with the thin horsehair band. And wearable it is... with timeless styling and excellent condition inside and out. The felt is kitten soft and very formable. The original The Fray sweatband has worn like iron over close to a century.

clearnutria10.jpg

clearnutria11.jpg

clearnutria12.jpg

clearnutria13.jpg

clearnutria14.jpg

clearnutria15.jpg

clearnutria16.jpg

clearnutria17.jpg

clearnutria18.jpg

clearnutria19.jpg

*a very special thank you to the Lounge member who steered me in the direction of this fantastic hat.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a go to winter hat to me. Man, that felt looks luscious. The bonus is we know you will wear it often! And well!

B

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, Alan, that is a gorgeous hat! Crown shape and brim curl are magnificent. The green moster is barely being contained over here lol.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice looking nutria. Apart from the hat, I think the photo illustrates the importance of the right coat to go with it. It's important to pay attention to compatible clothes. This "outfitting" aspect of hat wearing was sort of surprising to me when I started to wear them, and took some getting used to. Some hats go with certain jackets and shirts, and some just don't, at all. It's important to spend some mirror time before picking the right "outfit." However, doing that in advance is a good idea if you want to look natural in the hat.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

OH WOW, Alan!!!!!!! That hat is simply superb. It looks a thousand times better in your photos than in the auction photos. Congrats!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

As to the question of if its a Dress hat or Western, I think this type of hat could have actually been used in both. Even though a 3 inch brim is pretty wide for a dress hat, its still possible. This is the kind of hat that could have been sold in both the dress hat and western hat market just by changing some things like ribbon, liner, and sweatband stamps.

Thanks Josh.

The heck with historical perspective... I just wanted to be sure to put it in the right thread. :D

I'll have a couple of furry hats to bring with me. If I fly, I might just have to ship them to you in advance. I guess that would be OK, right?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
There is a little dirt under the tail of the two. When you look at it in the sun with a magnifying glass it is a two.
005ax.jpg

Last edited:
Gruene Bros. Stetson No.1 Quality

Lightweight (4.1 oz) body circa late 1920s. 6 1/4" crown, 3 1/2" brim which is curled to 3" width. Easy dimensions for city slicker wear.

gruene7.jpg

gruene8.jpg

gruene9.jpg

gruene710.jpg

gruene11.jpg

gruene12.jpg

Unfortunately sweatband was as soft and flexible as a ritz cracker.

gruene4.jpg

gruene5.jpg

gruene13.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82