Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

No.1 Quality 20s-30s

What, no posts here since July? Time to add more. This one owned has been passed around a bit and though still in nice shape, shows the most wear of any of my old westerns. Color is coffee + 1% milk.

Steam cleaned with open crown

tanNo1_1.jpg

Creased, crown 5 1/4 at highest point, 3 1/2" brim

tanNo1_2.jpg

tanNo1_3.jpg

sweat stained ribbon, a small bit of moth love and some old stretch marks on the sweat... signs of a life well-lived.

tanNo1_4.jpg

I have to restitch a bit of the rear sweatband seam and add an old bow.

tanNo1_5.jpg

tanNo1_6.jpg

112211_2.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Beautiful No.1 Quality, Alan!! I love everything about the hat. I love that the ribbon shows some age, it really gives the hat some character. You wear this style of hat so incredibly well. I especially like the coat/hat combo. Great find!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Alan, that little hat is remarkable. Are you planning to give it the ol' Garve treatment? Maybe tough to justify, what with that nearly-as-nice size 7 cousin in the house.

1920s-30s Stetson Nutria Fur western

Finally, the holiday company is gone and I've found a few minutes to clean, brush and photograph this nutria fur Stetson western. I hoped to find a date somewhere behind the sweatband, but no such luck... though there are the numbers 28 above the lot number (see below). I suspect this might be a 1920s hat, but it's only a guess. Very soft and thick fur finish... the brim would be floppy without the turned, grosgrain bound brim. Dimensions are large - 7" open crown and 4" brim that extends 3 1/2" to the end of the curl. Overall, it is in very good condition - felt is perfect, light wear to the sweatband and the top edge of the grosgrain edge binding, some stains on the cream colored ribbon.

nutriafur5.jpg

nutriafur10.jpg

nutriafur9.jpg

nutriafur14.jpg

nutriafur6.jpg

nutriafur7.jpg

nutriafur8.jpg

nutriafur19.jpg

The sweatband is soft and supple, marked as "orange peel sheepskin." A few markings are shown below. The taped rear seam is sewn through to the hat body... a later job, which makes it difficult to see the Stetson manufacturing tags. I haven't removed it.

nutriafur15.jpg

nutriafur17.jpg

nutriafur13.jpg

nutriafur16.jpg

nutriafur12.jpg

Three Stetson Nutrias

3nutria.jpg

Each of these Stetson nutria western hats is branded differently. All have a very soft finish. From left to right:

Real Nutria Fur. The two black hats are older than the tan... of the three this is the softest.

Stetson Real Nutria Quality Boss Edge Kettle Finish. The felt is firmer on this hat than on the others... it is most likely 1930s. The detailing on this hat is extraordinary.

1X Nutria with The Fray sweatband. Soft and supple, but less so than the fur finish. The more modest dimensions on this hat wears a little easier and seem to work well with a fedora bash.

Very nice old Western Alan, congrats for find this amazing historical Hat.
Looks good on you.

Thank you, Manfred... I was happy to get it. In addition to the history, the softness and comfort of these older hats is very different from their contemporary counterparts.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful addition to your nutria group, Alan. That's a whole lotta hat to have survived these 90-odd years in such great condition.

(I, too, am glad your company's gone. ) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82