Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DRB

One Too Many
G Man, congratulations! Have you put your crease into it yet? Fed IV's give the wearer a special feeling, at least mine did.

bendingoak

Vendor
bowler

Heres another gem I picked up a few weeks ago. Again, never been worn.

DSC_3605.jpg
DSC_3604.jpg

G MAN

One of the Regulars
DRB said:
G Man, congratulations! Have you put your crease into it yet? Fed IV's give the wearer a special feeling, at least mine did.

Thanks DRB, I'm still not sure how I want to crease this one but I'm thinking
of a Teardrop bash thanks to jimmy the lid and his teardrop workshop thread.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
G MAN said:
I'm still not sure how I want to crease this one but I'm thinking
of a Teardrop bash thanks to jimmy the lid and his teardrop workshop thread.

Do show us photos - curious how the Fed will turn out in a non indy bash...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
bendingoak said:
To me hats are to be worn but i can do both.

I see. I appreciate bowlers and Homburgs but I won't wear them myself. It does look like a nice one. Enjoy ... ;)

deano

New in Town
daughter's 1st hat

This is my daughter's first hat.
I took her to my local hatter and she picked out this panama.
Origanaly she when for a red fedora. But I think the brim was a little large for her small face. She is only 9, and I'm sure in time she will be going for wilder looks.
298d64c4.jpg

ca23e4da.jpg

a3a4d560.jpg

bobjoy30

New in Town
Hello

I am new to the forum, but I am looking to hopefully both give and receive some valuable information. Recently, I won a 55 year old Stetson balibuntal fedora on ebay. I am sure that it is the signiture style Sinatra is known for wearing. This is really the only type of fedora I will wear. Telescope crown and a brim of 2" or less. A vintage stetson like this and the one in my avatar may pop up every blue moon and the only modern hats that really compare are the Dobbs Bishop and the Miller milan fedora. If anyone has any info on where I can find more hats of this style, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

stetson.jpg

jwalls

Vendor
Welcome

bobjoy30 said:
I am new to the forum, but I am looking to hopefully both give and receive some valuable information. Recently, I won a 55 year old Stetson balibuntal fedora on ebay. I am sure that it is the signiture style Sinatra is known for wearing. This is really the only type of fedora I will wear. Telescope crown and a brim of 2" or less. A vintage stetson like this and the one in my avatar may pop up every blue moon and the only modern hats that really compare are the Dobbs Bishop and the Miller milan fedora. If anyone has any info on where I can find more hats of this style, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

You will fine a diverse group in the Lounge, enjoy them all!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
The 1980's Custom Made Stetson "Lord Cavendish"

Almost two weeks ago I bought this on Etsy:

etsyfind.jpg

It arrived in the mail today in darn near "like new" condition. No moth nibbles, no sweat stains, no wrinkled up liner and no warped sweat band. Perfect.

Here are the specs:

Color: Beige/Fawn

Ribbon Color: Dark Brown

Crown: 5"

Brim: 2.5"

Ribbon: 1 1/8" grosgrain.

Now for the pics!

100628-170116.jpg

100628-170141.jpg

The crown was so tall at a little over 6", I couldn't do my favorite Center Dent Pinch crease that I like to do without loosing proper proportions so I gave it the "Mario Diamond" treatment and it came out just fine.

100628-170651.jpg

Here's my mug under it and I'm very happy with it! A buttery soft, thickish felt that takes to steaming nicely and has a very sturdy and wonderful raw edged snap brim.

100628-182828.jpg

RJ

Edit to add: Not sure if this is a Stetson. That's what the sale ad on Etsy said but the crest doesn't match. Anyone? Anyone?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Don't know anything about who made it, but I can't believe it's 1980s. To find someone making a crown that tall and straight in the '80s is almost unheard of. Of course, it says it's custom made, so anything is possible. The proportions look more mid- to late-'30s than anything else, though it probably isn't that old.

Nice find!

Brad

DRB

One Too Many
RJ, that looks better on you than the dummy head. Sounds like you got a wonder buy. This one looks like one of your better ones. And some beaver too !!! Oh Oh the beaverO!

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
Don't know anything about who made it, but I can't believe it's 1980s. To find someone making a crown that tall and straight in the '80s is almost unheard of. Of course, it says it's custom made, so anything is possible. The proportions look more mid- to late-'30s than anything else, though it probably isn't that old.

Nice find!

Brad

Hey Brad!

Yeah, this one has me stumped a bit. The stove pipe proportions harken back to the blocks of the 30's and as far as I know, the only hat maker back then with stove pipe blocks with no taper were the likes of say Herbert Johnson such as the "poet" block used in Raiders. This definitely has similar proportions. A very tall crown with no taper what so ever.

It is a very nice find as the thing is practically new. Now cracking or warping of the sweat band and no incongruities in the felt. It took shape readily and easily.

@DRB- It is a lovely Beaver. All my hats are. I love the smell of it when it takes the steam. Intoxicating. No innuendo there either!:rolleyes:

RJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe