Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DRB

One Too Many
Thank you gentlemen. This is a hat that stands out as being nice but does not stand out as too flashy. Perfect for rural Vermont.

P. & C. Habig

Very nice brown P. & C. Habig, size 58cm, 1966 that arrived last week.

4717401006_114d64f9e6_b.jpg

4717402278_fc31393c79_b.jpg

4717404966_759df5ddb1_b.jpg

M. E. G. & Cie. Straw

I received this old M. E. G. & Cie. straw last Friday. I took a chance but it turned out to be a real gem. It measures 58cm and is in fine condition. My guess is 1930s or older although I couldn't find anything on the company.

4718568388_20ea96e582_b.jpg

4718567158_eed54d705f_b.jpg

4718768470_2dd6aefbeb_b.jpg

Mr E Train said:
That looks amazing, MW. It's a much finer weave, but it is as stiff as a regular boater?

The straw is not as stiff as a regular boater. The straw is Milan like and is pliable enough that I could shape the brim a bit with steam.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Mr E Train said:
That looks amazing, MW. It's a much finer weave, but it is as stiff as a regular boater?

I'm really digging this pana-milan-boater look. We need more of these.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Spats McGee said:
Lots of nice hats here, but I especially like this one:
IMG_1586.jpg

Very nice! :eusa_clap

I like that one too. I have a Miller Hats (made by Biltmore) pork pie in the same color, and it looks exactly like that, minus the pin and feather. It's one of my favorites.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Good Fathers Day....

Got 2 Porti and 1 Alexander. The first Portis is a great sand color with a box ribbon and NOS. The second Portis still needs some crease work. Has a great ribbon. The Alexander is older mid-ribbon w/unreeded sweat and a great color blue.

B

Portis Beaver Blend:

portis_sand_1.jpg

portis_sand_2.jpg

portis_sand_3.jpg

Portis Crest Quality:

portis_grey_2.jpg

portis_grey_3.jpg

Alexander:

alexander_blue_2.jpg

alexander_blue_3.jpg

alexander_blue_4.jpg

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
A little package from West Virginia finally arrived...

The wife took a phone pic of this wonderful package that wandered onto the front porch while I was at work and sent it via phone to me. Nice!

540228559_1910720232_0.jpg

And this was in it.

Worthington.jpg

It was a little sad, but after a light sponging and brushing and puttin' her to the kettle for a new block job, this is what she transformed into:

540228722_1910720844_0.jpg

540229133_1910722356_0.jpg

540229357_1910723225_0.jpg

Here's some pics of the inside info. It's a 1940's Worthington (out of San Francisco, CA).

540229582_1910724039_0.jpg

540229823_1910724938_0.jpg

540230187_1910726262_0.jpg

It's been bakeized! I suppose it is some sort of water repellent treatment.

Apparently this belonged to a fella with the initials ECH. Got the first initial right for me anyway.

There is no moth damage nor is there any sweatband damage. The sweatband stitching has come undone in a few places which I intend to fix with the ol' needle and thread. The true colors are a deep tannish/gray with an olive ribbon treatment and the next photo of my mug wearin' it is true to color. Here are the specs:

Crown: 5" (a stovepipe!) no taper.
Brim: 2 3/8"
size: 6 7/8

Here's the happy customer:

100621-155327.jpg

I've got two more showin' up within a week so I will post again soon on this thread. Have a fine evening Gents!

RJ:)

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
DRB said:
Redwoodjedi, Looks good on you. Also, nice that you have a supportive wife.

Thanks fellas!

@DRB The wife's supportive to a point. There is a number of hats in which I am not allowed to go past. Some mythical number between six and a dozen. That's more than plenty, I know. But......well you all understand I'm sure!:p

RJ

DRB

One Too Many
Redwoodjedi:

Yes I understand completely. I too have been told that I should not have too many for fear of death. So, how I get around that is when I find a hat I want more than another hat that I already own, I sell the old (or give away) and bring in the new. That way I can say that I only have 5. I works, kinda :eek:

That reminds me, I have a couple of hats to sell.;)

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
DRB said:
Redwoodjedi:

Yes I understand completely. I too have been told that I should not have too many for fear of death. So, how I get around that is when I find a hat I want more than another hat that I already own, I sell the old (or give away) and bring in the new. That way I can say that I only have 5. I works, kinda :eek:

That reminds me, I have a couple of hats to sell.;)

I think I have a couple already that may fall into that "sell trick" categorie as when I first started, I didn't know if I looked good in a stingy or a wide brim, short or tall crown. Now I know that I prefer a stovepipe and a tall crown circa 30's and 40's so the 50's stingies will eventually go bye-bye. The Sinatra look does not become me.

RJ

deano

New in Town
15becf53.jpg
bf8730e3.jpg

this is my first lid
not sure if I can pull it off
I do try to wear it with attitude.
But are sometimes bothered by what I wear with it.
Would be greatful of any tips a nd what you think.
I would love to get a vintage lid.
Not seen many on eBay in England.
Thanks
deano

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It looks fine - it's a starter hat. Many people start with a low-crowned, narrow-brimmed, tapered hat. The smaller the hat, the less you see it in your peripheral vision, the less it makes you feel uneasy. Some move to higher, straighter crowns and wider brims, while others prefer to keep the lower profile look.

Keep looking on ebay, though you may have to bite the bullet and pay the high shipping from somewhere else. There are other Loungers in England who have done pretty well on ebay, though it certainly is a waiting game.

Don't worry about attitude, just leave it up there, don't spend too much time fidgeting with it, and have a little confidence in yourself.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe