Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mallory "Night-Club" Derby

P1050279.JPG
P1050275.JPG
P1050278.JPG
P1050274.JPG

Sold by Baskin with United Hatters of North America Stamp.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Steven, congratulations! You can't go wrong there for the price, and such a beauty too. What a bonus that it fits ;)

RLK, I like those Mallory Cravenettes, but this looks to be the stingiest example I've seen. What is "cravenette?"

I had a productive day going out to a few antique shops outside of town that I've never been to before. I can't complain about the prices, either, though my hats were each at least twice as costly as Swing Motorman's.

A couple of real beaters that somehow commanded my attention. I've started working them over. Here are a few pics.

Stetson "Nutria Quality" on the left, and Stockman Special "Custom made" on the right.

009axt.jpg

012msp.jpg

018y.jpg

019dx.jpg

First, a good brushing, spraying, steaming, crown-opening, and brim ironing:

023yy.jpg

022hdt.jpg

After a few different creases, I settled on these.

026un.jpg

029dn.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The Stockman Special is like new. Here it is finished.

030rha.jpg

The Nutria Quality is still recovering from a dousing of lighter fluid, but I don't expect the stains to come out. Strangely, perhaps, I don't think that will bother me. It is such a cool hat! I LOVE the dimensions, blocking, and flange. I'm not sure I can imagine a more perfect western for me. Although the reed has come out from the leather on half the sweatband, it seems perfectly sewable where it has separated in the front of the hat, despite the rips on each side. I could always put a new sweatband in, but that's the only indication I can find of the "Nutria Quality" stamp. More pics when it's dry.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Jeff! You are an intrepid chap. The sweat stains alone lend that nutria quality some serious cowboy cred! I bet there's a buyer in Hollywood with some "studio deep" pockets. :)

Interesting acquisitions, for sure.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Randall! Fun project so far.

Very nice finds, Bowlerman!!

How much do hats usually run in the antique stores you go to?

Usually quite a bit more than these were... Around these parts it varies, usually between $30 and $80 (I don't typically buy the eighty dollar ones), and there are a lot more westerns and tweed stingies than "real" fedoras, but every so often I inquire about the cost of an unmarked hat and get the response "hold on, let me check Ebay..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe