Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments gentlemen, the hat has a mode edge (I believe that is Stetson's name for it). It's rare that I find something on my thrift store expeditions, but there are gems to be found every once in a while.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I found a couple new hats recently. Not sure that they'll get a ton of head time, but both are neat and unique in their own ways, and there they were, and... you all know how it goes.
The first is this JC Penney boater. I'd love some insight as to how old it might be. The Italian straw is in great shape, and looks like it's triple layered or something, and there is a ring of Milan (as far as I can ascertain) woven between the crown and brim. The leather on the sweatband is in great shape, but it's significantly separating from the reed in several places.
The crown is slightly flared, and has a neat blue/black ribbon.
002tjb.jpg

004wmj.jpg

005vdbp.jpg

036rg.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hat No.2: Resistol 3X western with horsehair band and really sweet kettle curl:

imgp4057w.jpg

imgp4056l.jpg

imgp4055.jpg

Sits a little big on my head, but I think that kinda works for this hat.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, that boater's crown label is wild! Does it look original up close? I must say, you pull off the look just fine.

And the western number works, too.

Good scores!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Jeff, that boater's crown label is wild! Does it look original up close? I must say, you pull off the look just fine.

And the western number works, too.

Good scores!

+1 on that, those are really great scores. I have been looking for a sort of small boater myself, so I can do something with the brim, steam the front down and back up just a hair on both, fedora-ize it.......

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
New vintage Stetson panama very nice condition. This style has become my favorite to wear.
Any one know anything about this hat? The quality,stamp,or approx age?
568CA514-D194-436D-9DD9-E99CB8205DCB-151-0000000B6988A162.jpg

AC0E4210-BB7A-4841-A0C0-9941779CB2FB-151-0000000ADB419A98.jpg

AB007296-DF4C-4013-A520-FF41EB1FCB09-151-0000000AE054DDE6.jpg

7C59731E-CDA0-42C5-A620-AF735AB9B41B-151-0000000B631BBCAC.jpg

C7D11DFB-2A58-4119-97C1-54120C8AE9B1-151-0000000ACEA94D28.jpg

That is one nice looking hat! I like the crown shape, brim size and how it looks. I have not seen a Stetson Straw or Panama that looked as nice as this one. Great find!

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs FIFTEEN

Here's a nice vintage Dobbs FIFTEEN I picked up on Etsy. Like some of my other hats, it arrived tired, depressed, and a little mis-shapen. After a nice brushing, steaming, brushing, steaming, etc..., it showed its face again.

EB6EB670-1.jpg

21A4ED35.jpg

C62BFF4A.jpg

One happy cat...

64F80CC3.jpg

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Congrats Alive, that is a very sharp Dobbs! There is just something about a light/medium grey fedora with a wide ribbon. :eusa_clap

Thanks! I was a little concerned that it would be a copy of a Saks Fifth Ave hat that I have. The Saks was made by Dobbs, and it's a superb hat, also. But the Dobbs 15 is a darker shade of grey and the brim is a little larger, so it's a completely different hat!

That's one good looking hat, Alive. The proportions fit your face very nicely.

Thank you for the compliment! :thumb:

That is a great hat! How wide is the brim?

'Preciate it. The brim is 2 1/2". I was always more partial to stingier brims, 2" - 2 1/4", but I'm starting to like 2 1/2" as well. It gives the hat more body and flair; more felt to work with and shape.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Here's a nice vintage Dobbs FIFTEEN I picked up on Etsy. Like some of my other hats, it arrived tired, depressed, and a little mis-shapen. After a nice brushing, steaming, brushing, steaming, etc..., it showed its face again.
One happy cat...

Alive or One happy cat...; Congrats. The hat felt color and proportions work well for you. The felt and ribbon combo should allow the hat to accompany you while wearing many different outfits. Giving a new life to the tired and depressed is a worthy endeavour. Congrats again One Happy Cat!

Eric -

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Alive or One happy cat...; Congrats. The hat felt color and proportions work well for you. The felt and ribbon combo should allow the hat to accompany you while wearing many different outfits. Giving a new life to the tired and depressed is a worthy endeavour. Congrats again One Happy Cat!

Eric -

Thanks, Eric! I appreciate your regards! Yes, I am one happy cat with this new hat. I've admired many of the other members' 15's and 20's, so I'm happy to be part of the club now. :)

AnA, a stunner! Sharp Hat!

Just hoping my hat collection becomes as diverse as yours!! ;) Cheers!

m0nk

One Too Many
'Preciate it. The brim is 2 1/2". I was always more partial to stingier brims, 2" - 2 1/4", but I'm starting to like 2 1/2" as well. It gives the hat more body and flair; more felt to work with and shape.
I thought I liked stingier when I first started wearing hats, but now I'm of the opinion that 2 3/8" - 2 3/4" is the range that looks best on me. It's funny how our likes change as we start trying different things...

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
...It's funny how our likes change as we start trying different things...

Indeed! Before I found Fedora Lounge, I bought a wool Bailey fedora about a year ago w/ a 2 1/2" brim and it seemed too wide for me at the time. That's when I gravitated toward stingier brims. Now I'm back full circle. :) I might get my next custom hat at around 2 3/8".

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That's a beautiful Dobbs, AnA! I think the brim works perfectly for you.

I wish that were a pizza slice inside the Penney's boater-- it would make a great breakfast!

Randall, I think from other boater posts I've seen here that could be the original liner in the original netting, but honestly I have to say I haven't paid all that much attention to the "boater faction." That will have to change.

Nice soft derby, by the way. Selling the aviators, eh? Maybe a better solution would be to just get a cowboy hat! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe