Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
Terrific job, Doom! How long did it take you to find the right block?

No time at all, really. I actually used a straight sided dome plastic hat shaper. If you're making lots of hats, like say for production, wood blocks are king, but if you're just a hobbyist experimenting and making a few hats for yourself, I find hat shapers are more than sufficient. They even have little ridges on the bottom of the block for the blocking cord which is handy.

The add-a-brim option isn't worth a crap though, and oddly glued onto the bottom of the block unless you otherwise request it not to be ( I had to remove mine with a dremel) Also, unlike with a wood flange it has a tendency to bend when weight (hot sandbag) is put on it. So you have to get creative.

Also contrary to popular belief, you CAN iron on hat shapers. They won't melt unless you do something stupid like leave the iron on it un-attended for a long time.

I'm actually making a block resembling a #52 in CAD to send to a local woodworker, really the only difference between my design and the straight sided dome hat shaper is there's more of a slight inward taper in the front, back and sides in the 52.

I'll post about the wood block, and how it turns out in another thread though.

Last edited:

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
P1050134.JPG

Great cap, looks like it'd be really comfortable during the summer.

Rob, Thanks!

Robert, Wow that is an old Disney! I love the finish and color. It looks to be in very good condition too. Another home run find! Also great Cordova Cap!

Alan, Fantastic Borsalino - Ipersca ! The overwelt work and heather felt are beautiful. Also another home run find!

seabass

Call Me a Cab
RLK the Cordova Cap = Outstanding & the Fuzzy Disney = Killer !
Alan you made that Borso like new its a beauty !
all excellent lids Gents..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe