Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Landman

One Too Many
It's great! I now have four modern Borsos from Bencraft and they are almost as good in quality as the vintage Alessandria I have.

JB,

That is great to know. I just looked at their site and they don't list Sliverbelly as an option. Do they call it some other name? Also, do you order yours open crowned? Thanks for your help.

jbucklin

Practically Family
JB,

That is great to know. I just looked at their site and they don't list Sliverbelly as an option. Do they call it some other name? Also, do you order yours open crowned? Thanks for your help.

Call them and ask if they have silverbelly in your size. They do not list that as a color option on their site. It worked for me!

TPD166

One Too Many
Restored (rescued) Vintage Resistol Open Road clone

This a Byer-Rolnick era vintage 3X Resistol, probably a San Antonio, but it was not marked. The color is a dark tan/taupe/??? - similar, but a lighter shade than my Campdraft in Taupe Fawn. I found it on ebay - poor pictures, no size (just measurements - which were a little off), with a cattleman bash. I won the auction and had estimated the size as being a 7-1/4 (hoping to stretch to a 3/8) - it was somewhere between a 7 and a 7-1/8 and a little rougher than expected. I decided to have a quick clean and block done and then try to get to back what I had in it. I took it to Paris Hatters and Abe told me the sweat would not survive a cleaning. I asked if he could do anything with it because I was going to sell it. He looked at me with a puzzled look and asked why I would want to sell such a nice hat? When I showed him how small it was on my head, he assured me they could do a stretch and talked me into it since they had to replace the sweatband. Going from a size 7-ish to my required 7-3/8+ had me worried, but when I picked it up today, I could not have been more pleased. It looks fantastic, has a new leather sweat, original liner and fits like it was made for me! Thank you Abe for talking me into the restoration! I dropped off a 1940s Adam Homburg today and can't wait to see how good it comes out next week.

Resistol_Brn1.jpg

Resistol_Brn2.jpg

TPD166

One Too Many
This a Byer-Rolnick era vintage 3X Resistol, probably a San Antonio, but it was not marked. The color is a dark tan/taupe/??? - similar, but a lighter shade than my Campdraft in Taupe Fawn. I found it on ebay - poor pictures, no size (just measurements - which were a little off), with a cattleman bash. I won the auction and had estimated the size as being a 7-1/4 (hoping to stretch to a 3/8) - it was somewhere between a 7 and a 7-1/8 and a little rougher than expected. I decided to have a quick clean and block done and then try to get to back what I had in it. I took it to Paris Hatters and Abe told me the sweat would not survive a cleaning. I asked if he could do anything with it because I was going to sell it. He looked at me with a puzzled look and asked why I would want to sell such a nice hat? When I showed him how small it was on my head, he assured me they could do a stretch and talked me into it since they had to replace the sweatband. Going from a size 7-ish to my required 7-3/8+ had me worried, but when I picked it up today, I could not have been more pleased. It looks fantastic, has a new leather sweat, original liner and fits like it was made for me! Thank you Abe for talking me into the restoration! I dropped off a 1940s Adam Homburg today and can't wait to see how good it comes out next week.

Here is a "before" picture from the auction:
Resistol_brn_before.jpg

TPD166

One Too Many
And a head shot - the fit is perfect!
Resistol_Brn.jpg

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Beyond the obvious! This is a hat I fished out of the bay resently. It is marked as a Royal Stetson, no liner, pug ribbon and the softest, thinnest felt I have ever seen. It is soft as a mouse's ear, and is light as a feather. It seems so delicate that I am almost afraid to handle it, let alone wear it!:eeek: Any ideas as to vintage and model?

P1010116.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010118.jpg

P1010120.jpg

P1010119.jpg

Could this be a Playboy? I thought I've seen ribbons like that on a Playboy model... Uhhh, hat.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Could this be a Playboy? I thought I've seen ribbons like that on a Playboy model... Uhhh, hat.

I was wondering if it might be one of the air-lites or a Zephyr weight. It weighs in at a whooping 2.9oz! When I first got it, I figured the ribbon was a replacement. It's not. Hat was born with it. By the way, there is a tag on the backside of the size tag that is marked, "The Broadway" and has the price $7.45 on it.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington and Steve, thanks for the kind words.

This is a shame Steve, I'm sorry. The next time you have more luck!

danofarlington, the print in the liner says Biber, the German word for Beaver. brim size is 5,5 cm / 2.17 inch

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Peschel Biber ( Beaver ) black Fedora arrived. Age, mid 50's to early 60's.
Very low crown, so I shaped, a teardrop. Very good condition not often worn.
The felt is thick and stiff and holds with a lot of steam, any shape. Brim wide, 5,5 cm.
To shaping this Hat I spend one hour, because, he arrived, in a to low and small package.
Thanks for the tip, Steve

peschelbiber.jpg

peschelbiber1.jpg

peschelbiber2.jpg

more in the German & Austrian Hats Thread.

Last edited:

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Arrived via USPS just in time for a Friday road trip so got rebashed in my lap along the way...
1960's Resistol San Antonio - Beaver "35". (Original stock tag): style San Ant, color Palomino, brim 2 5/8", price 35.00. Crown 5 1/2" open, (4 1/2 front 3 1/2 back as creased.) Dark brown sweatband with greek key edge design. White satin Byer-Rolnick liner. Satin ribbon hatband and brim binding are slightly contrasting light sage-tan color subtle yet striking in daylight. Arrived in unworn condition, no visible flaws, perfectly clean, cattleman's crease and upcurled brim appeared untouched, a little puff of hat powder flew off when I popped the crown open. The felt is very nice, feels slightly thinner than my 5X KF fedora, super velvety finish like very fine suede, molds like clay with a damp towel. (Note how Palomino color is slightly lighter sage-pearl gray than Silver Belly Dalworth behind it.) Before and after:

Cheers from KC!

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
youre the one that won the auction i was watching... kudos partner you earned it and the hat looks marvelous to the one that won the hubbard lambard fedora if the name is correct...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter