Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't resist this one-- been casually eyeing it since last summer. Just outta da box, a Sunbody palm straw "oak" colored old west derby:

007copyv.jpg

002copydf.jpg

I really like the pliable palm, and at the moment it seems a welcome alternative for the Montecristis I can't afford. I don't think this will be my last Sunbody-- a big nod to Coble! :yo:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh & ART well done on this beauty! It is truly spectacular.

Josh a breath taking hat. Art always tries to make
Show stoppers an that VS Dualist sure does.

Josh, Fantastic! I really like the color combo. A real show stopper as Ed stated!

JOSH ! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy Grail Hat !!!!!!!!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap..................................!

Thanks again Gentlemen for the wonderful words about my new Dualist!!! I just love this hat. If I could sleep in it, I most definitely would!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Outrageous Dualist, Josh!

Jeff, the Sunbody is just your style

New hat for me today - just in time for some (hopefully) nicer weather

Optimo Montecristi

D314929-L.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
David, you and that Optimo have some serious movie-star mojo together. It's the perfect summer hat on you.

And Jeff . . . Wow! Thanks a bunch for adding another must-have hat to my list. In Ink, no less!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
A trio of real beauties today, Gents! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Silverbelly Borsalino Alessandria
b4180dfe.jpg

Looks terrific on you, and simply amazing that you are still able to wear felt down in Texas! :)

Sunbody palm straw "oak" colored old west derby:

002copydf.jpg

Fantastic straw derby, Jeff. Did you tweak the brim? You really own that look! :yo:

Optimo Montecristi

D314929-L.jpg

Without doubt the most compelling, and to date my favorite portrait of you, wearing in my admittedly biased estimation, your finest hat! Congratulations, David! ;)

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone!
Al-- not a single tweak to that brim. They got the western curl just right, yippee ki yay! :)

David, I'm going to have wipe the drool from my chin with that Full Monte. Way to go, man!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
David, you and that Optimo have some serious movie-star mojo together. It's the perfect summer hat on you.

Thanks Randall - if a new movie is being made about a grumpy looking old geezer, I could indeed be the star :)

Without doubt the most compelling, and to date my favorite portrait of you, wearing in my admittedly biased estimation, your finest hat! Congratulations, David! ;)

Thanks so much, Al! As you know I had some concerns about this hat, but a call to Tiffany set my mind at rest and I knew it was a good choice. This is the Fastback Fedora style - suggested by our mutual friend Alejandro - Ale was super patient in helping me come up with a nice Montecristi. I really like the straight crown and larger brim of this design.

David, I'm going to have wipe the drool from my chin with that Full Monte. Way to go, man!

Thank you Jeff! I didn't expect to have the opportunity to purchase a hat such as this during this year, but I'm very happy that it worked out.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
New hat for me today - just in time for some (hopefully) nicer weather

Optimo Montecristi

D314929-L.jpg

THAT IS A HAT! Just plain classy. It cuts a clean, swave look. Excellent ribbon choice for such a refined hat. Congrats on a special panama.

I have glanced thru the Optimo models and the Fastback is a fav style given the bigger brim. The flange is a terrific shape. I like that the location of the up-sweep of the brim towards the rear of the hat. (Others can garner a look at the Optimo website here: http://www.optimohats.com/#/hats/128/ . ) It appears featherweight - charcteristics that are very appealing for wearing. Any concerns regarding durability or care?

David, really fine choice sir! Cheers for you. Best, Eric -

earl

A-List Customer
Unfortunately, do not have the ability in a number of ways to post a pic of my purchase yesterday at the venerable Hatman Jacks in Wichita. Been there a few times before I finally pulled the trigger and bought my second fedora I've been wanting to add to my 1 fedora collection since I bought a 1940's Lee fedora in a Goodwill 30 years ago for $2. Found a lovely dove grey fedora with a 2 3/4 inch brim, (love the wide ones), on his half-price rack. Should have asked the hatman if he made it himself as it did not have a brand name, merely noted it as "Hatman's Jacks" inside the hat. Earl

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I couldn't resist this one-- been casually eyeing it since last summer. Just outta da box, a Sunbody palm straw "oak" colored old west derby:

I really like the pliable palm, and at the moment it seems a welcome alternative for the Montecristis I can't afford. I don't think this will be my last Sunbody-- a big nod to Coble! :yo:

Hi Bowlerman

I usually wear a 7 3/8, but own a Sunbody in 7 1/2 that looks big (it is, I tried a John Wayne Cavalry Hat). Are you wearing up a size on the bowlers? I look funny wearing a bowler or derby in my size. I think larger brim might help, but a size up might help too.

Just wonderin'

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hey 1961MJS,
I'm wearing exactly my size (57, 7 1/8), and it was a little snug on my head right out from the box, but a little spritz had it conforming in no time. With palm, I'm not too worried. I expect I might have to do it again tomorrow, but I'm sure it will hold with a little patience. That's one of the things I've noticed about palm straw: after a good soak/shape/stretch, etc., it takes about an extra day or two for the straw to properly dry out. I've removed the hat jack prematurely on other palm hats, and have had to start from scratch again afterward, because the straw must retain more moisture than felt, and would be more prone to shrinking back unless you give it a little extra time.
Do you mean a larger brim might help me, or you? I don't think I'd want any more brim on this derby.

Hi Bowlerman

I usually wear a 7 3/8, but own a Sunbody in 7 1/2 that looks big (it is, I tried a John Wayne Cavalry Hat). Are you wearing up a size on the bowlers? I look funny wearing a bowler or derby in my size. I think larger brim might help, but a size up might help too.

Just wonderin'

DJH

I'll Lock Up
THAT IS A HAT!

Thanks, Eric. I think this is everything I want in a hat for the summer.

Brilliant! Some day I am going to buy a new hat, and it will be something like this.

You wouldn't be disappointed, Alan - especially if you go for the full Optimo experience by selecting your hat in the store. I do feel I missed a bit by not having the chance to do this.

jbucklin

Practically Family
It's great! I now have four modern Borsos from Bencraft and they are almost as good in quality as the vintage Alessandria I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter