Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

m0nk

One Too Many
Got an AB Henry in the mail yesterday (pic isn't the best, and I need a shave):

Henry1.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Great new hats today, guys! Thanks for the comments on mine :) I can't wait to get this one steamed in to shape and to start wearing it.

TipTop

Practically Family
A Stingy Mistake...
I just got this Cavanagh with the stingy brim, and I already hate it. Well, more specifically, I hate what it does for my new-found jowls (it's called "settling" after certain milestones). And keeping with the architectural horror metaphors, I'll note that like a steep staircase, the rise of the grosgrain ribbon is twice the width of the brim/step (that's inverted from the classic standard).

I like the color of the hat but you guys either need to persuade me that it is OK, or tell me how to list it in the Classifieds...7 3/8 XLO, and I'm trending toward the latter already.

15304332-lg.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Ray, so you've discovered the curse of the stingy. I can count on one hand the Loungers who look good in 'em.

On a side note, what brand are your new shades? Those are cool.

Some great new hats today.

Steve, love the velour... nice that Optimo was able to restore with the original sweatband left in place.

Mike, really nice 3X western! What is the brim width?... it doesn't look very wide from that camera angle.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A Stingy Mistake......
I like the color of the hat but you guys either need to persuade me that it is OK, or tell me how to list it in the Classifieds...7 3/8 XLO, and I'm trending toward the latter already.

Hi Ray

No matter what WE think, if YOU don't like the way it looks on you, you'll never wear it (except maybe Halloween). I used to have a sport coat that I bought for Halloween, but that's food for another post. I'd say sell that thing, all it will do is take up space in your closet.

Later

TipTop

Practically Family
Ray, so you've discovered the curse of the stingy. I can count on one hand the Loungers who look good in 'em.

On a side note, what brand are your new shades? Those are cool.

Thx Randall. That was what I suspected, on the other hand, I have an Italian straw model (by Altea the tie maker) that does look good...or did last summer. I'm going to have to dig them out and do a side x side comparo.

Thx on the shades; they are Vintage Carreras that I got through Gilt.com, from a vintage optical boutique in NYC. Though they are the right size in the temples, they were too owlish/big (90's "vintage" size) lenses, and they were un-returnable. So I had my optometrist put prescription shades in them, and for that application, the size doesn't jump out at you. They seem like very high quality and so I am happy. They'll be perfect at Saratoga Race Course, under that straw that I mentioned above.;)

job

One Too Many
I'm curious how the Beaver Brand compares to your new Borsalinos. I think they are in the same price range. It looks great on you.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I'm curious how the Beaver Brand compares to your new Borsalinos. I think they are in the same price range. It looks great on you.

First of all, the Beaver Brand Heritage is about the stiffest hat I've ever owned---as stiff as the new Borsos are soft. It was my understanding that the hat was to be "made to order" and that I would hear from someone at the Village Hat Shop regarding head shape, etc. The turnaround time was to be no less than 8 weeks. Well, they must have had one in stock because I ordered it last week and received it last night.

When I took it out of the box I could already feel how stiff it was. It was not a long oval and the fit was terrible due to its cardboard-like stiffness. I snapped the above pic just minutes after receiving it. After that I proceeded to spray it with distilled water, remove the lining and put it on my straight sided dome hatshaper. The factory creases were so stubborn that it took several attempts with a steam iron to remove them. I finally managed to shape it into an open crown with no sign of the original crease. Then I spent about an hour beating the crap out of it to soften it up--- especially the brim and the reeded sweatband. I then creased it by hand and I'm quite happy with it.

That may be a much longer answer than what you wanted, so here's the verdict in a nutshell: the Beaver Brand Heritage compares quite well with the Modern Borsalinos, but only after reshaping and beating the crap out of it. I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
Thats a real nice looking hat. I just looked at The Village Hat Shop and they sell it for way less than The Fedora Store. I assume the pin has a Beaver on it.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thats a real nice looking hat. I just looked at The Village Hat Shop and they sell it for way less than The Fedora Store. I assume the pin has a Beaver on it.

Be advised! It came so stiff that the brim would not even snap down in the front. Also, this was a case where I was really glad I have the hatshaper.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, you might want to be sure you're comparing apples and apples. Beaver brand sells everything from straight wool, to bunny, to all beaver. Same shape and color doesn't necessarily mean same hat. Like Stetson, they're not exactly forthcoming about beaver content etc.

I found Beaver Brand hat's address on the net and dropped by. It's a small warehouse in the boonies of Missouri. No one there on Saturday afternoon.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe