Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Too Many
Nice hats ¡¡¡¡¡

I found this 7 3/8 Knox
af81a90a.jpg
89939168.jpg

Not sure I'm feeling this one.
And a friend gave me this straw-
d888c059.jpg
d9556183.jpg

Cool hat but just a bit too small. When I put it on the sides curl up so stretching it will most likely do the same I'm guessing :)
Good pick, great hats, I like the straw to use here now, still warm in half day.¡¡¡¡¡

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Hi BJ,

Crown height is 6" open crown. I am sending it off to Optimo for a clean and to fix the bow.
I think it will be awesome when done. The color is a very light taupe.

Thanks Hatophile. I’d bet it’s going to be fantastic when it gets back; looking forward to some photos.

DRB

One Too Many
Herzen , that is a wonderful hat. I have never seen such a crease. Was that your idea or Gary's? Also, What is at the end of the brim? Is it welted? I can't make it out. Gary does wonderful work. Also, did Gary supply the stick pin or was that your idea also?

If you have any more of Gary's work, I would love to see it.

That hat looks like it fits perfectly. Congratulations.

Last edited:

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Herzen , that is a wonderful hat. I have never seen such a crease. Was that your idea or Gary's? Also, What is at the end of the brim? Is it welted? I can't make it out. Gary does wonderful work. Also, did Gary supply the stick pin or was that your idea also?

If you have any more of Gary's work, I would love to see it.

That hat looks like it fits perfectly. Congratulations.

Thanks! The crease is one of Gary's specialties, I guess you would call it. He does two "hooks": the Chicago, which looks like a "C" from above, and the Detroit, which looks like an "S". I ordered this back in August and since then he said he's had a slew of orders for them. One man ordered three in different colors!

The brim had a bound edge, and he told me the pin is vintage from 1920. A real pearl, even!

Right now I have one other Gary White that I've posted here a couple of times, but would be happy to PM you pics if you'd like!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just ran up to Buffalo to pick up my new Gary White! It has a Chicago hooked crown, in steel gray with a 3" bound edge:
chook008.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Creative look. Now you're in the ranks of a "style maker" rather than a "style taker" (which latter I am). Good proportions for you on the brim and crown also. Not a rough character look at all. Classy color of the hat, so it's a good crisp dress look.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
From Italy...

These are the other two hats I bought in Italy: A navy blue Super Barbisio and a White beaver Panizza.

From Cappelleria troncarelli, Rome.

DSC06477.jpg

Barbisio.jpg

DSC06481.jpg

DSC06482.jpg

Bought this in Milan at Cappelleria Mutinelli.
DSC06484.jpg

Panizza.jpg

Interior unlined. It came with a silk sweatband that the owner of Cappelleria Troncarelli, in Rome replaced with leather. (I'm allergic to silk :() and also gave me a liner for the interior.

DSC06486.jpg

Came with this pin attached to the bow. Out it goes!

DSC06487.jpg

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These are the other two hats I bought in Italy: A navy blue Super Barbisio and a White beaver Panizza.

From Cappelleria troncarelli, Rome.

DSC06477.jpg

Barbisio.jpg

DSC06481.jpg

DSC06482.jpg

Bought this in Milan at Cappelleria Mutinelli.
DSC06484.jpg

Panizza.jpg

Interior unlined. It came with a silk sweatband that the owner of Cappelleria Troncarelli, in Rome replaced with leather. (I'm allergic to silk :() and also gave me a liner for the interior.

DSC06486.jpg

Came with this pin attached to the bow. Out it goes!

DSC06487.jpg

Very cool, congratulations. Brim sizes?

Also, did you say that you liked the other brands stylewise better than Borsalino, at least what you saw of them there?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Very cool, congratulations. Brim sizes?

Also, did you say that you liked the other brands stylewise better than Borsalino, at least what you saw of them there?

2 1/2 the Panizza and a notch over that the Barbisio. The texture and finishing of these two brands surpases most modern Borsalino I've handled. I'm working on posting pictures from Alessandria. Soon.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Just ran up to Buffalo to pick up my new Gary White! It has a Chicago hooked crown, in steel gray with a 3" bound edge:

IMO, you've got some of the best customs around. Every hat you post looks good on its own and on your head.

kenmcneill

Familiar Face
And now one from the bargain bin. $4.99 on eBay. 60's(?) Andhurst stingy brim. I'm guessing Andhurst was either a dept. store or a regional clothing brand.

The felt is worn to a tiny hole at the front pinch and very thin at the back. A little hot glue and some first-aid gauze on the inside, and it should last another lifetime. With a little manipulation, you can't even see the damage at the front. Not something I would do with an expensive hat, but with a beater, why not?

I's beat up, crumpled and stained, but it does have character. I may wind up wearing this more than I do my Akubras or Stetson. ;)

andhurst1_th.jpg
andhurst2_th.jpg

andhurst4_th.jpg
andhurst3_th.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe