Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mario said:
My new Mallory Ten Cravenette arrived today. They charged me another $32 at the customs, making for a total of $188. Well, never mind...

The hat came in a Mallory box and is a real beauty in absolutely mind condition. I believe it has never been worn before. I just gave it a brushing and creased it to my hearts content.

The main color is a deep charcoal gray with a slightly lighter edge binding, the ribbon has some kind of maroon/magenta color.

Crown: 5 3/4" (creased)
Brim: 2 3/4"
Ribbon 1 5/8"
Binding 1/2"

Great galloping gourmet gods of the hat universe, Mario!!!

That's one of the most swandangling gorgeous hats I've ever seen! Fantastic buy at twice the price.

billysmom

One Too Many
Gift from Feraud!

Feraud found this lovely velour Italian hat in a thrift shop. It didn't fit him, so he generously sent it my way! Thanks again, Feraud!

ICM.jpg

DSCF1577.jpg

DSCF1578.jpg

DSCF1579.jpg

It's sweatband is separating from the hat body, but my fix for that is painter's masking tape on the inside. The sweat itself has great integrity and is soft and supple, so I see no reason to replace it.

Dimesions: Brim = 2 5/8", crown = 4 3/4" uncreased, sweat = 1 3/4", ribbon = 1".

I'm not familiar with the manufacturer, so if anyone can educate me it would be welcome. The color will work with almost anything!

Sue

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Here's a Penney's Marathon I just got off the bay. It's a camel color, 2-3/4" brim with a 1" band. Great condition, no soiling or stains and the felt is amazingly soft and pliable. there's a small spot on the ribbon that I need to clean. Can't quite make out the manufacturer's mark. Anybody familiar with this mark?
apenney002.jpg
apenney006.jpg
apenney004.jpg
apenney001.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
redhawks2 said:
Here's a Penney's Marathon I just got off the bay. It's a camel color, 2-3/4" brim with a 1" band. Great condition, no soiling or stains and the felt is amazingly soft and pliable. there's a small spot on the ribbon that I need to clean. Can't quite make out the manufacturer's mark. Anybody familiar with this mark?http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh288/redhawks22/apenney002.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Very elegant, redhawks2! Congrats!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Thanks! Yes, right from the start I suspected that this would be a bit taxing on my budget, but the hat's well worth the dough! :D

Mario, that is THE best diamond crease I've seen! And a spectacular Mallory.

B

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all!

As I said before: I'm very, very happy with this hat, and with all the congrats I'm receiving, it's almost as if I've become a father...and it feels like it, too! "Oh my! Look! It's a Mallory!" :D ;)

Aureliano said:
:arated: I agree. The crease is SUPERB! did you use a block?

No block. The only ingredients are steam, my fingers - and a wee little tea spoon...!

It's mostly hand bashed, but I used the spoon to work in the side dents. It's a nice little trick.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:

Sweet! Feraud is a very generous man! Congrats to the hat and to the man! :eusa_clap

Did you notice that this is a UK 6 7/8? In Germany it's a size 56 (cm), which makes it a size 7 in the US. There's an evil little twist in there. I've run into this before when I bought a hat from Ebay UK. It said 6 7/8, which it was - only it was an English 6 7/8, aka US 7. Watch out!

billysmom

One Too Many
Mario said:
Did you notice that this is a UK 6 7/8? In Germany it's a size 56 (cm), which makes it a size 7 in the US. There's an evil little twist in there. I've run into this before when I bought a hat from Ebay UK. It said 6 7/8, which it was - only it was an English 6 7/8, aka US 7. Watch out!

Yes, there is an extra cm. there. But since my head measures 55.5 cm I can usually go with either US or UK. Just takes a bit of foam padding for the larger lids.

Sue

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Thanks! Yes, right from the start I suspected that this would be a bit taxing on my budget, but the hat's well worth the dough! :D

How could you pay any import duty on a used vintage hat? This does not happen in Australia. Europe is so overtaxed.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
How could you pay any import duty on a used vintage hat? This does not happen in Australia. Europe is so overtaxed.

Exactly my words.

If the value of an imported item is below a certain limit (150 €), you only pay the import sales tax (19% here in Germany). If it's exceeding the limit, you pay import sales tax + import duty (3.5%). The ugly thing is that the S&H fees are usually NOT excluded from the base value. :mad:

RobStC

A-List Customer
Mario said:
Exactly my words.

If the value of an imported item is below a certain limit (150 €), you only pay the import sales tax (19% here in Germany). If it's exceeding the limit, you pay import sales tax + import duty (3.5%). The ugly thing is that the S&H fees are usually NOT excluded from the base value. :mad:

Similar here in the UK, with S&H included in the basic valuation. Plus Royal Mail parcel service add a fee of c. $14~ for handling and clearing the item through customs. It all adds up to an extra chunk on any hat bought from the US, for instance. On the Mallory that I got recently, S&H was $45~, with another $45~ for the customs stuff.

(Fortunately in this instance ;) , the duty was levied only on the value of the work and shipping incurred by Optimo, and did not take into account the original buying price. Phew, a lucky escape! However, it still ended up as a $420~ hat, by the time it got here with a new sweatband from Optimo.....)

But hats of this sort of calibre rarely turn up of their own accord in the UK, so we're stuck with paying the premium on most of the nicer ones. :( :rage:

Rob StC

Feraud

Bartender
billysmom said:
Feraud found this lovely velour Italian hat in a thrift shop. It didn't fit him, so he generously sent it my way! Thanks again, Feraud!

Sue
You are very welcome Sue. After having been on the receiving end of similar generosity, I found this a perfect time to pass long some good karma.

jamespowers said:
Oh geez Feraud, if you find one in my size....;) :p
Send me your hat size and I will keep an eye out! :)

yanito

New in Town
Dobbs Twenty

I picked this one up on eBay. The camera has a hard time capturing the colour. It's marked Auburn on the inside of the sweatband.

dobbs002.jpg

dobbs006.jpg

dobbs007.jpg

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Ignorance is not bliss

Made a huge mistake this morning out of ignorance.
Was killing some time in a local western wear store this morn when, behind the western hats, I found a fedora that fit really well and I liked. It said it was a Biltmore Royal in Steel and was priced $89.95 CDN.
Didn't even take a pic but came home and looked it up and I guess I'll be there in the morning when they open. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe