Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buler

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
Phenomenal group for one day, Buler! Congratulations!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

Thanks Sue. Did you notice the Portis in my post from yesterday. Its a 6 7/8.;)

B

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nice haul, once again, buler!

That Penney's Marathon looks especially nice. Very reminiscent of indycop's, I think.

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Finally got these two in the mail and also found a beauty on my way to a haircut. The hat on the left is an unworn Penneys Marathon with the tri-color (felt, ribbon, brim binding all different) thing going on like a Lee Trinity. The hat in the middle is a grey Courtney made for Harry Levinsons. Its a thin ribbon with a no liner stamped crown. Last but not least is an all black Dobbs. Was really hoping for 2 more boxes today but that will have to wait until Monday.....

B

hats2.jpg

Wow - three more great hats! And you're disappointed? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I love that black Dobbs!

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Wow - three more great hats! And you're disappointed? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I love that black Dobbs!

Definitely not disappointed.... all three of these are great. I'm just not good at waiting and if you knew what was on the way....

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Definitely not disappointed.... all three of these are great. I'm just not good at waiting and if you knew what was on the way....

B

I understand. I'm waiting for a 3-hat package from Optimo, and another 3-hat package from another hatter....and another 5 hats from ebay.

I asked the guy who lives below me if he would sell me his condo. Figure I'll knock a hole in the floor and use it for hat storage.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
You must have fully converted(brainwashed) your GF.

ScottF said:
I understand. I'm waiting for a 3-hat package from Optimo, and another 3-hat package from another hatter....and another 5 hats from ebay.

I asked the guy who lives below me if he would sell me his condo. Figure I'll knock a hole in the floor and use it for hat storage.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
I was thinkin the same thing.

Scott, how'd you sell her on the idea?

You guys are killing me :)

She basically was overwhelmed - I get down to about 15 hats, then the pile grows again. She feels certain that the cycle will never end, so she finally gave up and started thinking of them as 'art'. In fact, she asked me to buy two more hat racks. I won.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
buler said:
Finally got these two in the mail and also found a beauty on my way to a haircut. The hat on the left is an unworn Penneys Marathon with the tri-color (felt, ribbon, brim binding all different) thing going on like a Lee Trinity. The hat in the middle is a grey Courtney made for Harry Levinsons. Its a thin ribbon with a no liner stamped crown. Last but not least is an all black Dobbs. Was really hoping for 2 more boxes today but that will have to wait until Monday.....

B

hats2.jpg

:eek: ohw my gawd... :eek:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

billysmom

One Too Many
Knox Fifth Avenue Special

I've been looking for a nice charcoal lid:

Knoxbb.jpg

Kbb4.jpg

Kbb.jpg

Kbb1.jpg

Kbb2.jpg

Kbb3.jpg

2" brim, 2 1/8" ribbon, 4 3/4" crown, 1 7/8" sweat.

Sometime soon it will be time to break out the gray flannel suit.

Sue

babs

A-List Customer
Dobbs Golden Coach OR Clone

FINALLY!!! Got my hands on a good wider brim.. This little guy arrived yesterday and I had some fun. Broke out the Jiffy steamer for the first time to do a bash and see what I was capable of with the hat. The felt is awesome.. One little moth tract that honestly with the color of the hat, I may try to sandpaper a little with some fine grit if and when I get around to it.

As it arrived.. yeehaw.. Open Road bash:
DSCN0779.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

A quick dry diamond bash and pulled pinches forward, snap brim (quick conversion):
DSCN0792.jpg

.. Dig that brim curl.. Oh yeah, you can see the moth-tract booger there. Yeah I guess I should work on it.
DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

.. sorry for the poor lighting and camera.. The color is actually very nice.. As I haven't a sure enough silverbelly to compare it to, I dunno. But I like it.

And yes.. Those are transformers. :) Optimus Prime and Megatron to be exact. hehehehe I love parenthood.

My very FIRST time taking steam to a hat.. Whata ya think?
DSCN0799.jpg

DSCN0797.jpg

DSCN0798.jpg

Unfortunately.. It's either my skill or the crown, but I haven't mastered a method to do a center dent reverse taper.. Any advice, lay it on me, PM or other.. Very eager to learn as I think a 40's reverse taper would be gorgeous on this hat. I might have to by a hatshaper block and give it reblock maybe.. Steam really does make the hat pliable, though this hat is a finely finished felt, yet thick and dense and a good balance of soft yet stiff. A lot more hat physically than my dunlap for sure.

Original price.. $45. Receipt dated 1982.

John I owe you one for the tip.

babs

A-List Customer
billysmom said:
babs -

This is really impressive! Great work!!!!!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

Thanks Sue. Gorgeous Knox you found there too.

I ended up by accident with the tear-drop as I really liked the nonchalant look of the diamond bash, but it needed a bump from hitting the top of my big ole' egg. So as I tried to do a bump in the diamond bash it wasn't cutting it, so I folded, steamed and folded and that c-crown came about. Pulled the pinch forward a bit more and lower from these pics and it gives the front at least a sweet side-profile. I'm learning I guess. Thanks to you fine folks here.

I guess I can get away with such a hat.. Man I look tired. Yikes. The c-crown gives it a more angular look on the top of the crown from this shot.. So this wasn't the final product.
DSCN0788.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
St.Ignatz said:
Very Very nice BillysMom. My wife is also 6 7/8 so it was on my watch list. I'm glad I passed and you didn't.
Tom D.

This one's actually a 7, but Knox runs small in my experience. My assistant at work tells me that she prefers my back bow hats because they're "more feminine". Keep on the lookout for them for your wife - I know she'll be pleased!

Sue

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looks good.

Reverse taper requires a square sided (untapered) block to the hat, and a deep center dent, which pushes the front and back out, giving apparent reverse taper when viewed from the sides and apparent taper when viewed from the front. I think your hat may have too tapered a blocking to do that while keeping the crease at a level which leaves it wearable.

babs

A-List Customer
Thanks Dinerman.. There's a straight side classic shape at hatshapers I may have to acquire then just to give it a shot.. Or at least to straighten out some bend it has going on on the back side... I picked this lid up for a song, so I figure better to learn with.. With prudence of course. :)

.. Or I could just wear it. hehe.. I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe