Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
warbird said:
Stetson Whippet. I just love these hats. They have great dimensions. This one is a blue grey.

The second is a Keeneland Hat. It was made for Keeneland Raceway Lexington KY, ...
The blue grey Whippet = SWEET!
The Keeneland = Excellent hat & GREAT story!!!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

buler

I'll Lock Up
Blue Stratoliner has landed

This little gem just flew in from California. An interesting darker shade of blue Stetson Stratoliner. The main pic was with flash so it washed out the color some. No sunlight left today to get a real "true" shot. I'll post more detail and pics in the Strat thread. If only we could still buy them for $10.95.

B

blue_strat_2.jpg

blue_strat_7.jpg

warbird

One Too Many
buler said:
This little gem just flew in from California. An interesting darker shade of blue Stetson Stratoliner. The main pic was with flash so it washed out the color some. No sunlight left today to get a real "true" shot. I'll post more detail and pics in the Strat thread. If only we could still buy them for $10.95.

B

blue_strat_2.jpg

blue_strat_7.jpg

Very nice. I have also seen one OR in that OR, maybe it was a bit darker. Nice hat! I just picked up a strat in true silver silverbelly. They just have great proportions at least in my estimation.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
buler said:

B

blue_strat_2.jpg

blue_strat_7.jpg

What Stetson "grade"? And what size?

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:
GREAT vintage hat find! It suits you very well. Where did you find it?
Picked it up on Ebay (less than $20 with shipping). The seller said they believe it was sold at J.C. Penney in the 50s. I've searched Google but I can't find anything about it anywhere. I asked in the "ask anything" thread but I still can't find anything about Brent hats.

billysmom

One Too Many
buler said:

B

A gem, indeed. Enough to make one's heart flutter!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

billysmom

One Too Many
Private label Homburg

I picked this off eBay for $4.99. It was made for The Rosenbaum Co. of Pittsburgh, PA. The store closed in 1959, so it can't be younger than 50 years.

Does anyone know who would have made private label hats for upscale department stores during that era? I've included a shot of the size tag, in case that's a clue. (What's "hand felted"?) The liner's very heavy fabric. No union label. It's obviously been cared for since there's wear on the heavy, supple sweat but no blemishes on the outside of the hat or the liner.

RosenbaumCompanyhat.jpg

RosenbaumHomburgliner.jpg

Rosenbaumsweat.jpg

Rosenbaumsizetag.jpg

Come on, you hat detectives!

Sue

YETI

A-List Customer
buler said:

B

blue_strat_2.jpg

blue_strat_7.jpg
I live in Vallejo! unfortunately
nice hat btw...very Stratolineresque

billysmom

One Too Many
Lefty said:
I like it.
The tag looks like JtL's Knox, and you seem to have the clover bow that Brad discusses a bit further down that thread.

Lefty -

What an incredible visual memory you must have. Thanks for the link. I have a Knox superfine homburg (thanks to Garrett!) and the felt's very similar. But the Knox sweatband is reeded and this one is not. I suspect the Knox is also older than this one, for what it's worth. But I do not remember reading anywhere that Knox did private label. Lee, perhaps?

Sue

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's more likely that it was made under the Hat Corporation of America umbrella - not necessarily a Knox twin, but just with a Knox-style size tag. Here's a little snippet from the Classic Hat Makers thread:

Hat Corporation of America
Founded by John Cavanagh, whose Park Avenue hat shop was among the most prestigious in the United States.

Originally called the General Hat Company, the Hat Corporation of America was created through the merger of Knox and Dunlap with Cavanagh-Dobbs in 1932.
_________

It could be Lee, or any of the other Danbury companies that made all sorts of private label hats, but the back-bow and size tag make me think Hat Corp.

billysmom

One Too Many
Lefty said:
It could be Lee, or any of the other Danbury companies that made all sorts of private label hats, but the back-bow and size tag make me think Hat Corp.

Makes sense to me. Although the bow's actually on the left side. (I hate taking pics of black hats - have to wash out the color to get the detail!)
Bow.jpg

As you say, all clues lead to Hat Corp.

Sue

Came last night but didn't see the box...

I haven't got time for photos, have 30th jr. college reunion today & 22nd anniversary tomorrow. Just wanted to say this is a unique color, needs a good cleaning but all in all a very nice lid. I feel I got a VERY good deal! It is some very soft felt & has OPS tag as well as some other stickers behind the sweatband that I'll get shots of later & post in Borso Brotherhood thread. If fits just a touch snug like most vintage hats do, on the vintage stretcher for slight adjustment...
borsoaless2.jpg

borsoaless3.jpg

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Here's a Glenburnie Supreme I picked up off Ebay. It looked brown in the ebay photos but the description said it was gray so I took a chance. It had no band so I made one from some material I got from a vendor on the bay that sells vintage grosgrain banding in an assortment of sizes and colors. A little brushing, re-bashing and the band has turned it into a nice hat.
glenburnie006.jpg
glenburnie003.jpg
glenburnie004.jpg
glenburnie006.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
redhawks2 said:
Here's a Glenburnie Supreme I picked up off Ebay. It looked brown in the ebay photos but the description said it was gray so I took a chance. It had no band so I made one from some material I got from a vendor on the bay that sells vintage grosgrain banding in an assortment of sizes and colors. A little brushing, re-bashing and the band has turned it into a nice hat.
glenburnie006.jpg
glenburnie003.jpg
glenburnie004.jpg
glenburnie006.jpg

Redhawks2, very nice job! :eusa_clap

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe