Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
3922650481_14650e22ea_o.jpg

You've got courage man. :D

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
warbird said:
Picked these up several months ago, but haven't put them up.
Stetson Stratoliner
P9150109.jpg

This one's my pick. I love the way that thin felt feels, and they make a very light and comfortable hat to wear. They're right up there with Whippets on my hat rack.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Vintage Royal Stetson

In keeping with my recent flurry of hat acquisition I just received a brown Royal Stetson that I bought off Etsy. It's about a 2 1/4" brim with a 2" ribbon.

Here 'tis:
3926621612_aba7ed5ba8.jpg

3925837371_cc1405396f.jpg

Problem is, I bought it from a super nice young lady who didn't really know hats. She gave me what she thought were it's measurements (she listed it as size 8) and I decided to take a chance. Turns out it's actually 7 3/8. That simply won't fit, but it's a nice lid anyway.

Lining is coming loose but can anyone date this?
3926621902_dab93792de.jpg

3926622050_40697f5be8.jpg

3926622204_2225691c31.jpg

Clearest shot I was able to get under the sweatband:
3925837929_0eff2f53f3.jpg

Not sure whether I should just sell it off in the Lounge Classifieds or take it to a local shop and have it stretched up to 7 5/8 LO (the minimum I could wear). If I stretch it, I'll likely crease it into a porkpie, so loss of crown height wouldn't matter much. I just don't know. I really like the hat. I'm just disappointed with the size. [huh]

Roninjedi said:
...Not sure whether I should just sell it off in the Lounge Classifieds or take it to a local shop and have it stretched up to 7 5/8 LO (the minimum I could wear).
Jumping 2 sizes is a little too much to expect for stretching an old hat. I'd see if you have interest here to re-sell & go back at the Bay with lessons learned. Always try to get a measure of inside circumference from a seller if you can. Next would be diameter down the middle & side to side of the opening & use an elipse calculator to get the circumference. Older hats tend to be a little smaller than the size tag.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Yeah, thanks Dean and Billy! Looks like I just got way too eager and made a bad purchase as a result. :mad: Caveat emptor, I suppose! Well, maybe someone will want a nice looking vintage hat cheap. A few minutes ago I found a brown 7 3/4 Steston Sovereign on eBay but, having spent the money on the Royal Stetson, I don't think I can justify buying the Sovereign before the Royal is sold.

Roninjedi said:
...having spent the money on the Royal Stetson, I don't think I can justify buying the Sovereign before the Royal is sold.
That is just wrong thinking...you have to land those big lids then recoup on the throw backs!!! :eek: The secret is to get a movement of hat boxes going in & out so "justification" is too hard to figure out what is expense & what is revenue!!! :D

billyspew

One Too Many
Roninjedi said:
Yeah, thanks Dean and Billy! Looks like I just got way too eager and made a bad purchase as a result. :mad: Caveat emptor, I suppose! Well, maybe someone will want a nice looking vintage hat cheap. A few minutes ago I found a brown 7 3/4 Steston Sovereign on eBay but, having spent the money on the Royal Stetson, I don't think I can justify buying the Sovereign before the Royal is sold.

I would not let a sovereign get away in that size...

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
The secret is to get a movement of hat boxes going in & out so "justification" is too hard to figure out what is expense & what is revenue!!! :D

AHA! Creative accounting, then? Well, I've just posted the Royal in the Classifieds. I really do want that Sovereign, but I'm just concerned about the reaction from She Who Must Not Be Annoyed.

Although, now that I think about it, the couch is actually pretty comfortable... :D

Roninjedi said:
AHA! Creative accounting, then? Well, I've just posted the Royal in the Classifieds. I really do want that Sovereign, but I'm just concerned about the reaction from She Who Must Not Be Annoyed.

Although, now that I think about it, the couch is actually pretty comfortable... :D
At my place it is SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed, pronounced SwimBo
That is why you get the boxes going both ways, so she is none the wiser. She doesn't (& really I usually don't either) know what hat is coming in from purchase or repair or what has been sold or going out for cleaning, blocking or renovation! I've also got a camper by the barn as my doghouse! :eek:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Long Hair

This one arrived today: Taupeish colored long hair Borsalino. Size is 6 7/8, the raw-edged brim is 1 7/8" wide and the crown is 5 1/2" tall (open, 4 3/4" creased).

The seller tried to tag the hat as a 40's model, but the black sweat and the liner (as well as the stingy brim) told a very different story. The felt is incredibly soft and fluffy and has an amazing irridescent quality to it: the color appears to be somewhere between grey and a slightly yellow-reddish taupe (yes, it's rather hard to describe...), depending on the direction of the lighting. I have no idea about its age, but with the black sweat and snow-white, utterly unstained liner, I'd think it's rather new. Snatched for $26.00.

borsalino_long_hair.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Long hair Cavanagh

This is long hair hat day! I love Mario's new find - that color's amazing! I'll post more details on Cavanagh thread, but this is what arrived at my house today:

BlackCav1.jpg

Blackcavliner.jpg

Blackcavtag.jpg

1 3/4" brim, 5" crown.

Soft-soft-soft! :)

Sue

warbird

One Too Many
RBH said:
Now that is nice!!!
Great to see ya friend!!!
You need to come to Mikes the next time.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the thoughts.

I tired to make it to Mike's last time but was caught in St. Louis in traffic coming back from KC. I bought these hats on my way up there a few days before. Also got a beauty of a black Whippet. I need to take it to Mike because even though the hat is in great shape, the brim is somewhat floppy. I guess it needs a steaming in the form for a few minutes unless you guys know of an easier way to get it stiff again.

The hats I like with the 2 1/2" brim look better on me now with a slimmer face for certain. You'd cry if you knew what I paid for these, whew boy. The Strat is the most true silver silverbelly Stetson I own. I really like the Custom V, but don't know a lot about that model. I am undecided on keeping the Disney. I like the color but the brim is a bit wider than I generally like, close to 2 3/4" I think.

I have also decided to finally part with my Stetson OR in 7 3/8. Just too big.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
This is long hair hat day! I love Mario's new find - that color's amazing! I'll post more details on Cavanagh thread, but this is what arrived at my house today:

BlackCav1.jpg

1 3/4" brim, 5" crown.

Soft-soft-soft! :)

Sue

Great find, Sue! Where do all those long-haired types come from all of a sudden? Ah, yes: must be Woodstock's 40th anniversary... :p ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82