Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
IMG_1373.jpg

jimmy the lid said:
Bob -- to my eye, that looks taupe, not gray.

Usually, I've noticed, the photos from underneath tend to show the felt color most accurately. It's probably because the camera meter is able to 'white balance' on the liner.

So, Bob, is it more grey or taupe - - and as Jimmy stated; either way it's a beaute'!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
Its a good day to come home to a Whippet.......That's a nice one Bob. I got my new green whippet from Garrett today. Thanks Garrett:eusa_clap
grnwhippet006.jpg

Its hard to tell from the photo but the bound edge is a much lighter shade of green than the main ribbon

You 'Whippeted' me to that deal but I'm glad it got such a good home anyway. Great hat, great guy, now let's see it on ya'!! :)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
handlebar bart said:
Someone needs to rein Bob in.....I think this is whippet number 20 for him.:D

When it rains it pours, you know, but not even close to 20. Whippets and Strats are right up there on m list of favs. I'd take one of each in every color if I could snag them.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
You 'Whippeted' me to that deal but I'm glad it got such a good home anyway. Great hat, great guy, now let's see it on ya'!! :)

Thanks Gene.....I'll get a noodle shot tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be able to capture the colors better.

pplepic

Familiar Face
I seem to remember that the little red cross pin was given by the Red Cross for blood donations way way back. (And I go way way back...)

Mr. Paladin

BobC said:
A new gray Whippet was sitting on the dining room table when I got home from work today. It had a center dent when it got here, but I steamed it back to open for pics. The seller said he'd sent it to Optimo for a cleaning and then put it away and never worn it. It's pretty minty. Thank you to whomever he is.

Bob, if only you had a smaller hat size, I'd give you a run on some of those Whippets! :rolleyes: What a nice hat!

Mr. Paladin

Tracyam-Nice to see you posting here again; those are some very nice additions.

HBart-That is a great shade of green; beautiful hat, that one!

Tooch

One of the Regulars
The "country" hat arrives

I recently showed off the Resistol fedora I acquired as part of my "town and country" duo. Well, after threats of legal action against the vendor and the intervention of Etsy admin, the Champ Open Road-ish hat finally arrived. I think it was worth the wait.

Hatandbox-1.jpg

This one isn't pristine like the Resistol, but it wasn't much used either, as far as I can tell. The only real blemish I can see is that about a quarter of an inch of sweatband wire became exposed at some point, and the owner apparently thought it a brilliant idea to dab the exposed wire with some adhesive roughly the same color as battery terminal corrosion.

Underside.jpg

And the green bled through to the top of the felt, causing a very visible stain.

So I gave the hat a naptha bath (thanks to the forum again for the pointers) and got the crud off, including most of the bled-through green.

IMG_0567.jpg

I also sharpened the pinch at the front with some steam. I'm very happy with the result.

IMG_0558.jpg

It's a 2 1/2-inch brim, with about a 4 1/4-inch crown at the front. The felt is in great shape -- the hat can't have been worn more than a few times.

IMG_0562.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Tooch, congrats on that hat - very nice find! :eusa_clap Good to hear that you managed to settle matters with the seller. I have yet to find an OR in my size...

It's a bit strange, though: on my Mallory, I had exactly he same problem with that nasty greenish color bleeding through the felt - at exactly the same spot! A naptha bath took care of the evil stain, even though a very faint discoloration remained - but that's only visible if you look very closely.

Tooch said:
The only real blemish I can see is that about a quarter of an inch of sweatband wire became exposed at some point, and the owner apparently thought it a brilliant idea to dab the exposed wire with some adhesive roughly the same color as battery terminal corrosion.

Underside.jpg

And the green bled through to the top of the felt, causing a very visible stain.

So I gave the hat a naptha bath (thanks to the forum again for the pointers) and got the crud off, including most of the bled-through green.

IMG_0567.jpg

Tooch

One of the Regulars
It's a bit strange, though: on my Mallory, I had exactly he same problem with that nasty greenish color bleeding through the felt - at exactly the same spot! A naptha bath took care of the evil stain, even though a very faint discoloration remained - but that's only visible if you look very closely.

That's odd. I wonder if there was some sort of common hat repair product sold that produced those blotches. If so, I would guess it turned green with time, since I can't imagine the stuff being successful if it went on looking that way.

On closer examination, the green seems to be the same color as the ink on the size tag. I suppose it could be a manufacturing mishap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe