Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
I'm not a fan of the thin ribbons, either (But don't tell Swoopy or I'll get lynched)

AlphaP said:
Heh, go for the greens. All my current hats are green and I have to agree they surprisingly fit with a lot of colours.

As for the thin ribbon, you should've seen the one they put... It was some curly leather-thing that look like it would break if you touch it. And it indeed broke when they pulled it out to put the new ribbon. Plus I would've missed the chance to see a hat maker in action. ;) (the old lady was working on a hat before preparing mine)

My aussie-flexi (still doubting to call it 'Akubra') comes with a short ribbon but I think it actually looks quite neat in this one, especially with the little feather and the maker's pin.

Here is a picture of that little beast

You've convinced me to go for a nice olive.

I think the worst hat band I've seen was recently on eBay. Auction's over now, but it was a long hair Dobbs Golden Coach and the band was made of all feathers. Not my cup of tea.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
St.Ignatz said:
Got a package from Art today. Just a rough crease and off to work.
CIMG1259-2.jpg
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Dark Moss?

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Mario said:
Yesterday, my vintage grey Borsalino arrived. The brim is really huge, coming in at a whopping 2 7/8" (I'm actually a little bit scared of it...;)). Crown is 5 1/2" tall (open).

Borsalino-Grey.jpg

Ýeah. Well. This is how the hat looked like after I did a little test wear last night. We were sitting by the river, having a few drinks, when the skies opened and a huge rain begann. The only thing that saved me from being swept into the running waters was the fact that I clung to my Borso... ;)

wet_borso.jpg

The hat is in absolutely amazing condition, even though it could need a naphtha bath. Come to think of it: I have never cleaned such a light-colored hat (it's actually a wee bit darker than it appears in the photos) with naphtha - any tips?

Dang...that's a beauty. I need one of those!

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
NOS Royal Stetson

Kind of a greyish tan color...very thin, soft felt. Big old crown. The spot on the top of the crown was my doing..50+ years of storage, and after two days of ownership, I stain it. Gah!

100_1354.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1350.jpg

100_1348.jpg

100_1346.jpg
[/IMG]

munchausen

One of the Regulars
A vintage Lock & Co

I just got this in the mail. A vintage Lock & Co in new fawn with a coppery brown ribbon. Looks like I got myself a fixer-upper. The brim needs re-shaping and I think either a naphtha bath or a new ribbon (there seem to be some sort of black spotting).

The felt is really nice and soft though, which will make giving this a refurb worthwhile (I might even just pay a professional to do it). But when you all talk about vintage hats having soft and lightweight felt, this one can be my comparison (for now). Will post when the thing is finally wearable as anything more than a beater.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344/3813165305/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344@N02/3813165389/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344@N02/3813165535/in/photostream/

Cheers

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
G'day from Brisbane

Hi from Brisbane Australia all,
Gotta say, I'm lovin' your enthusiasm for all things fedora. I'm not quite in the Collector league just yet but my own current favourite is my Akubra Bogart - such a stylish hat.
Next will be something in grey with a black band - maybe a Stylemaster in moonstone...or something more vintage if I can find a 40's/50's Dobbs or Stetson to suit. I'm on the hunt.

Tooch and Chilli - magnificant lids!

Cheers
ET

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Chiliarches said:
Kind of a greyish tan color...very thin, soft felt. Big old crown. The spot on the top of the crown was my doing..50+ years of storage, and after two days of ownership, I stain it. Gah!

100_1346.jpg

Chili, that hat is a beauty, and what's more, it looks really good on you - and you even gave it a personal touch by staining it the way you did...! ;) :D :eusa_clap

Dundee

A-List Customer
Gene, I look forward to the details on the 7x Stetson. As Gomer would say " She's fine, real fine."
:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe