Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Ahhhhh!!! Of course! Whew! Damn! The world had turned upside-down for me!!
What a relief. Love ya, Bowen!

I am more than a little sensitive right now, because I am going to need surgery in a month or so to remove part of my colon; I have a non-cancerous narrowing that needs to go, and I might have to use a colostomy bag for two months!
Dang! 'Sides, I have been contemplating my mortality, and have decided to retire after the surgery, all of which has saddened me.
Anyway, I apologize for doubting you, my friend.
Sorry to hear about your health issues, Max. Hope all goes well for you.

I see that now, and feel stupid, Brent. Please read the explanation I gave Bowen above.

Praying for a speedy recovery, Max.

I know this wasn’t the way you wanted to retire, but I hope you find the silver lining. I know all your friends here are expecting another forty years of incredible hat posts so please take care of yourself. You’ve earned our respect and admiration with your kindness and enthusiasm over these last few years. You have a lot of friends pulling for you.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good afternoon, gentlemen, Max good luck with the Surgery. A friend of mine's 25 year old just had some work like that done for Crohn's.

Looking at SOME of those Borsellino's and the Purple Homberg, I understand why my dad gave up on hats in the early 1970's. I couldn't wear the fuzzy skinny brimmed hats, I'd get fuzz all over and get my ears burnt.

Later

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Well clearly Bowen did not use the sarcasm font ;):D:p
Little rusty on my sarcasm game. I’ll have to work on upping it.
Some of our sarcasm mentors have been banished or seldom post due to lack of competition. Sadly missed.
Nothing like a friendly poke to stimulate conversation and call out the clowns.
B
Ps: Story
On my first post here at the lounge i proudly introduced myself to the crowd and posted my “epic” hat. I asked what you all thought (dangerous) and said please be gentle. One of the first to respond was @Bob Roberts. He “promised” he would never make fun of me.
Now THAT was sarcasm. Damn i miss that guy!!

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
Some of our sarcasm mentors have been banished or seldom post due to lack of competition. Sadly missed.
B
On my first post here at the lounge i proudly introduced myself to the crowd and posted my “epic” hat. I asked what you all thought (dangerous) and said please be gentle. One of the first to respond was @Bob Roberts. He “promised” he would never make fun of me.
Thanks to you Bowen for introducing me to the term popcorn—somehow that was new to me. It was the perfect tag for that post.

B
I always enjoy good hearted back and forth ribbing. Unfortunately the skill of understanding the line and the “thick skinnedness“ required has gotten lost a bit of late.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Praying for a speedy recovery, Max.

I know this wasn’t the way you wanted to retire, but I hope you find the silver lining. I know all your friends here are expecting another forty years of incredible hat posts so please take care of yourself. You’ve earned our respect and admiration with your kindness and enthusiasm over these last few years. You have a lot of friends pulling for you.
Thank you, Brent! I will send you a video by Messenger. I hope you can watch it.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
B
Thing is, it was in writing, and since I wasn't brought up in the US, I missunderstood "the cows have come to the barn", or something like that.
In Mexico, if you don't rib someone, he's not really a friend!
For example, one of my dearest friends, Rubén, is 75 years old, the oldest by far in our fivesome. Once we were all discussing assisted reproduction while we waited for our tee time, and Rubén was unusually silent. When I asked him why he wasn't contributing, Milo, another friend, cut in and said "well, Rubén doesn't have spermatozooids, but spermatosaurs". Gales of laughter!

Last edited:
See my response, Jim!

I'm just here for the popcorn, old buddy!

Ahhhhh!!! Of course! Whew! Damn! The world had turned upside-down for me!!
What a relief. Love ya, Bowen!

I am more than a little sensitive right now, because I am going to need surgery in a month or so to remove part of my colon; I have a non-cancerous narrowing that needs to go, and I might have to use a colostomy bag for two months!
Dang! 'Sides, I have been contemplating my mortality, and have decided to retire after the surgery, all of which has saddened me.
Anyway, I apologize for doubting you, my friend.

Sorry to hear, Max. I'll remember you in my prayers.

B

LOL. I thought you pre-dated him by aa few years.

Monte

Practically Family
You lot are close and here's to your health. We got some health concerns up here and it's baby calves running around soon for everyone. I'm just gonna throw a noggin shot of the 6X Resistol silverbelly I mentioned last week. I sure like this lid and hope to wear it for a long time.

Attachments

• 20220314_073948.jpg
    20220314_073948.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 60

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I have a good number of "Bantam" produced by the Cappellificio Cervo in my collection and every time I find one I think if I can put it in the list of those present.
Polinesia_2[1].jpg
It is undoubted that this brand includes the most imaginative hats in the colors of the felt and in the finishes, as well as in the trimmings.
Polinesia_4[1].jpg
I think in the sixties or seventies a milliner or more arrived in order to revive the fortunes of the hat factory, subverted the patterns of production.
Polinesia_interno[1].jpg
Super Bantam, Cappellificio Cervo size 60 or 7 1/2 in the US.
Polinesia_5[1].jpg
The color of the felt, a brown heather with all the colors of the warm range inside and the hatband with the same more evident colors, then taken up in the hemming of the brim, makes this hat a rarity, at least for me.
Polinesia_etichetta_carta[1].jpg
The color of the felt is called "Polinesia".
The hat can be formed in two shapes, as you can see in the photos.
Polinesia_aperto[1].jpg

It can be an imaginative trilby or an even more imaginative "Lord hat".
Polinesia_7[1].jpg

The measurements are as follows: the brims hemmed with the same material as the hat band measure 5 cm. the open crown is 13.5cm and the ribbon is 3cm high.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The "Bantam" brand is known in Italy because it is inextricably linked to the hats of the Alpine troops,
Cappello alpino.jpg
in civil use it has taken on the role of an experiment in Sagliano Micca.
Roccia_1_modificato-1[1].jpg

All the specimens that I have have 90% a particular felt in the colors and in the finish, this too has its undoubted peculiarities.
Roccia_interno[1].jpg
Bantam Hat, American Type, Oklahoma, Cappellificio Cervo size 60 or 7 1/2 in the US.
Roccia_5[1].jpg
The color of the felt, a light gray with all the colors of the light range inside and the hatband of the same material with drawings and small inlays.
Roccia_etichetta_carta[1].jpg
The color of the felt is called "Roccia - Rock".
Roccia_3[1].jpg
The hat has felt very similar to the mixed felts used by Italian hats over the years, although it is not marked to that effect.
Roccia_7[1].jpg

The measurements are as follows: the over-sewn brims measure 5.5 cm. the open crown is 14.5cm and the ribbon is 4cm high.
I hope to be lucky and to find more because Bantams are always a pleasant surprise

J. Hückel´s Söhne "Elastic", 57.5 cm, 118 grams. possibly mid 1920s to early 1930s. This is a Ladies Stiff Felt Riding Hat but since it's a JHS + very unique I decided to pick it up. It appears to be entirely original and in NOS condition. The Black smooth finished Felt is the same as a Men's JHS "Elastic" Stiff Felt. The 4.5 cm Brim is not curled and has downward flange with a thin Binding. The Grosgrain Sweatband with padded which is stitched in with a X pattern. The Bow is on the left side like Men's Hats. There is also has a long fabric Strap which you see on some Ladies Hats. I couldn't find a paper label so maybe this was custom made by JHS. Definitely a very unique piece for my museum. :)

51934513374_333df7d86e_h.jpg

51934271368_4197994225_h.jpg

51938277929_e0976b74b2_h.jpg

51933220762_fd91b6f9c5_h.jpg

51933224622_63d731c9d1_h.jpg

51934538864_527109d9c1_h.jpg

51933229202_78eb902a18_h.jpg

51934220396_fd61427241_h.jpg

51934543924_31a45072d6_h.jpg

51934224806_85602f6dc7_h.jpg

51933252997_4194176ca3_h.jpg

51934845935_3ab9699853_h.jpg