Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A Panizza creation, one of those hats to remember
Panizza Royal 2.jpg
Panizza had, especially in the seventies, a production of discordant quality. It was the end of a golden age of Italian headwear and the hatters of Lago Maggiore paid for their being traditional with a fairly quick end.
Panizza Royal 3.jpg

Panizza Royal, size 59. The felt is magnificent and the color too as the finish of the hat
Panizza Royal 5.jpg

The color is called "Cloro" and it is simply malleable with hands
Panizza Royal 8.jpg

These are the measures: finished brim with two seams at 5.5 cm. open crown 14 cm. contrasting ribbon 4 cm.
Panizza Royal 6.jpg

The Panizza Royal arrived in excellenti conditions until today with a very interesting lining in blue
Panizza Royal Interno Totale.jpg

One perfect example of Italian hats of the Sixties-Seventies in a color very rare in Panizza production

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I'm not very familiar with British hat making. I have some who come from northern Europe.
Trees 1.jpg

The ones I had directly bought used here in Italy are Locks, quite usual, despite the great reputation and above all rigid, but this is my personal taste to speak
Trees 2.jpg

I know even less about "Tress&Co
" company that made this hat
Trees 6.jpg

The felt is beautiful and very similar to some Italian production of the Seventies, soft and with a stitched finish all over the hat with the heather felt as a plus
Trees.jpg

Brim 5 cm. Open crown 13 cm Ribbon 1.5 cm. matching the felt
Trees 4.jpg

A very soft and confortable hats, whitout lining
Tress interno totale.jpg
Tress etichetta carta.jpg
Another addiction to the small number of hats made with heather felt with seams.
One week I will wear them ;-)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Panizza at its best, Daniele. Fantastic colour. Congrats on the find.

View attachment 270144 Panizza had, especially in the seventies, a production of discordant quality. It was the end of a golden age of Italian headwear and the hatters of Lago Maggiore paid for their being traditional with a fairly quick end.
View attachment 270145
Panizza Royal, size 59. The felt is magnificent and the color too as the finish of the hat
View attachment 270146
View attachment 270147
These are the measures: finished brim with two seams at 5.5 cm. open crown 14 cm. contrasting ribbon 4 cm.
View attachment 270148
The Panizza Royal arrived in excellenti conditions until today with a very interesting lining in blue
View attachment 270149
One perfect example of Italian hats of the Sixties-Seventies in a color very rare in Panizza production

View attachment 270144 Panizza had, especially in the seventies, a production of discordant quality. It was the end of a golden age of Italian headwear and the hatters of Lago Maggiore paid for their being traditional with a fairly quick end.
View attachment 270145
View attachment 270146
View attachment 270147
View attachment 270148
View attachment 270149
Love the color on that one Daniele

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Here is my take on the Stetson Lassiter that I ordered. The Stetson Lassiter is a wool-felt fedora with a bound 2 1/4 inch brim, and a standard center crease. It's the only True Blue fedora made by Stetson with a standard fedora band. It is unlined, has a ribbon sweatband, and does not ship sized (only S/M/L/XL).

Here is a picture of the Lassiter from Delmonico Hatter:

LASSITER-Stetson-Hats-Navy.jpg

The first modification I made to the hat was to remove the center crease, and convert it into what I call the "eyedrop." It can also be called a wide center crease:

20201013_174028.jpg

The hat comes with an included Stetson pin on the ribbon, which is a nice inclusion:

20201013_174100.jpg

I actually developed this crease by watching James Spader on The Blacklist, and copying the crease on his Borsalino. As you can see from the rear shot, it is not as wide as a standard teardrop.

20201013_174125.jpg

Here's the right side:

20201013_174142.jpg

The wool felt feels coarse, and the felt is noticeably thicker than the fur felt on my Akubra Stylemaster. The quality of the hat is not disappointing. I have heard that wool felt stands up to the elements better than fur felt. I have also heard that the Royal Deluxe felt on new Stetson fedoras shrinks when exposed to the elements. So, (speculation) this hat may last a considerable amount of time. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The True Blue color on the hat is more of a Royal Blue than a Navy Blue. When compared to my Akubra Stylemaster Federation Navy, the difference in colors is more apparent:

20201013_175320.jpg

So, that's the end of my review. Please let me know what your opinions and/or experiences are on Stetson wool-felt fedoras.

Last edited:
Here is my take on the Stetson Lassiter that I ordered. The Stetson Lassiter is a wool-felt fedora with a bound 2 1/4 inch brim, and a standard center crease. It's the only True Blue fedora made by Stetson with a standard non-crossover band. It is unlined, has a ribbon sweatband, and does not ship sized (only S/M/L/XL).

The first modification I made to the hat was to remove the center crease, and convert it into what I call the "eyedrop." It can also be called a wide center crease:

20201013_174028.jpg

The hat comes with an included Stetson pin on the ribbon, which is a nice inclusion:

20201013_174100.jpg

I actually developed this crease by watching James Spader on The Blacklist, and copying the crease on his Borsalino. As you can see from the rear shot, it is not as wide as a standard teardrop.

20201013_174125.jpg

Here's the right side:

20201013_174142.jpg

The wool felt feels coarse, and the felt is noticeably thicker than the fur felt on my Akubra Stylemaster. The quality of the hat is not disappointing. I have heard that wool felt stands up to the elements better than fur felt. I have also heard that the Royal Deluxe felt on new Stetson fedoras shrinks when exposed to the elements. So, (speculation) this hat may last a considerable amount of time. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The True Blue color on the hat is more of a Royal Blue than a Navy Blue. When compared to my Akubra Stylemaster Federation Navy, the difference in colors is more apparent:

20201013_175320.jpg

So, that's the end of my review. Please let me know what your opinions and/or experiences are on Stetson wool-felt fedoras.
Nice color combination

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
View attachment 270145
View attachment 270146
View attachment 270147
View attachment 270148
View attachment 270149
Simply stunning! Perfection, love the colour and contrasts. This really wows me, I love it. Hmmm, good size too lol

Snowman

Practically Family
This hat surprises me. First, because of the quality. It was an eBay find that apparently nobody else wanted. Second, because I don’t really care for stingy brims or wide ribbons, but there’s something about this little guy...I haven’t taken it off since I unboxed it, even though it’s a tad small.
B2C634A4-1484-46FC-A3EF-366A899BFD0E.jpeg
F4ECEE9A-9615-4B8E-B9FB-AA0F33820A83.jpeg
5968DA57-3D3B-4C7E-9D88-A7048A149F0B.jpeg
2B0D5D91-BE29-49FD-BBCE-5D2F5EAF13DC.jpeg
917BA1BF-C668-4130-93E3-0FDAD75B0A58.jpeg
644A1DD6-3657-4075-960A-70CFE36149EF.jpeg
58FA6417-8DC2-4859-BCF7-013DB850E5B0.jpeg

This hat surprises me. First, because of the quality. It was an eBay find that apparently nobody else wanted. Second, because I don’t really care for stingy brims or wide ribbons, but there’s something about this little guy...I haven’t taken it off since I unboxed it, even though it’s a tad small. View attachment 270313 View attachment 270314 View attachment 270315 View attachment 270316 View attachment 270317 View attachment 270318 View attachment 270319
Nice looking hat. Congratulations on the find. Sometimes lesser known brands sold some really nice hats. I wonder with that Kashmir finish logo if it was made by Champ.

Snowman

Practically Family
Nice looking hat. Congratulations on the find. Sometimes lesser known brands sold some really nice hats. I wonder with that Kashmir finish logo if it was made by Champ.
Thanks, Joe. Some of your hats were inspiration for me to take the risk. I am also wondering if it was made by Champ. I know Berg was part of Hat Corporation of America. I’m going to work on dating it. Can’t find anything about the shop in VT.

Thanks, Joe. Some of your hats were inspiration for me to take the risk. I am also wondering if it was made by Champ. I know Berg was part of Hat Corporation of America. I’m going to work on dating it. Can’t find anything about the shop in VT.
Thank you. Glad I could help spread some stingy love. Well there ya go ... HCA. I imagine part of the Champ Dunlap wing :)

Here is my take on the Stetson Lassiter that I ordered. The Stetson Lassiter is a wool-felt fedora with a bound 2 1/4 inch brim, and a standard center crease. It's the only True Blue fedora made by Stetson with a standard non-crossover band. It is unlined, has a ribbon sweatband, and does not ship sized (only S/M/L/XL).

20201013_174028.jpg

20201013_174100.jpg

20201013_174125.jpg

Here's the right side:

20201013_174142.jpg

20201013_175320.jpg

Good work on making that hat your own.

Not sure where you heard “that wool felt stands up to the elements better than fur felt.” My experience is just the opposite, but then my experience with wool felt is limited to the hats made in the last 30 years. Let us know how it turns out.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

20201013_174028.jpg

20201013_174100.jpg

20201013_174125.jpg

Here's the right side:

20201013_174142.jpg

20201013_175320.jpg

Can you clarify what you mean by "crossover band?"

All the True Blue hats in the fall 2020 catalog (Pure Open Road, Pure Stratoliner, Traveluxe, Belfast) have grosgrain ribbon treatments....ok, I take that back, the Belfast has a felted band.

Curiously, the Lassiter is listed on the catalog as Navy.

Last edited:

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Can you clarify what you mean by "crossover band?"

All the True Blue hats in the fall 2020 catalog (Pure Open Road, Pure Stratoliner, Traveluxe, Belfast) have grosgrain ribbon treatments....ok, I take that back, the Belfast has a felted band.

Curiously, the Lassiter is listed on the catalog as Navy.

I wondered the same thing...”crossover?”

I guess I mispoke on that. It is a grosgrain ribbon.

Good work on making that hat your own.

Not sure where you heard “that wool felt stands up to the elements better than fur felt.” My experience is just the opposite, but then my experience with wool felt is limited to the hats made in the last 30 years. Let us know how it turns out.

I'll keep that in mind.

View attachment 270145
View attachment 270146
View attachment 270147
View attachment 270148
View attachment 270149
Well, they did get that one right! Wonderful blue-grey colour and the liner is great.
I'm not very familiar with British hat making. I have some who come from northern Europe.
View attachment 270157
The ones I had directly bought used here in Italy are Locks, quite usual, despite the great reputation and above all rigid, but this is my personal taste to speak
View attachment 270158
I know even less about "Tress&Co
" company that made this hat
View attachment 270159
The felt is beautiful and very similar to some Italian production of the Seventies, soft and with a stitched finish all over the hat with the heather felt as a plus
View attachment 270160
Brim 5 cm. Open crown 13 cm Ribbon 1.5 cm. matching the felt
View attachment 270161
A very soft and confortable hats, whitout lining
View attachment 270162
View attachment 270163
Another addiction to the small number of hats made with heather felt with seams.
One week I will wear them ;-)
A spiral stitched heather felt; not an everyday find!
Looks to be a later Tress hat, but still very cool.

Here is my take on the Stetson Lassiter that I ordered. The Stetson Lassiter is a wool-felt fedora with a bound 2 1/4 inch brim, and a standard center crease. It's the only True Blue fedora made by Stetson with a standard fedora band. It is unlined, has a ribbon sweatband, and does not ship sized (only S/M/L/XL).

20201013_174028.jpg

20201013_174100.jpg

20201013_174125.jpg

Here's the right side:

20201013_174142.jpg

20201013_175320.jpg

Nice color combination
What Joe said: the colours are great.

This hat surprises me. First, because of the quality. It was an eBay find that apparently nobody else wanted. Second, because I don’t really care for stingy brims or wide ribbons, but there’s something about this little guy...I haven’t taken it off since I unboxed it, even though it’s a tad small. View attachment 270313 View attachment 270314 View attachment 270315 View attachment 270316 View attachment 270317 View attachment 270318 View attachment 270319
Very nice. Indeed very much like a Champ, which is a good thing.

Very nice find, Brent. Looks more like a 7 3/4 to my eye though;)
Odd that the liner is rather plain for a bowler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg