Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
My next door neighbor and close friend travels a good bit b/c of his job and he often brings me gifts upon his return. Sometimes it's salmon from Alaska, venison from North Carolina or like two weeks ago, he brought me Soju after a couple weeks in South Korea. Last week he was in Panama and he brought me this hat, a Montecristi Fino. I know they're woven in Ecuador but I like the idea of a Panama hat from Panama. Plus, it's much better than the Soju.
image.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
So when you say "deeper" flange, would that be a flange with a larger radius or, the opposite? As for the 'brim break', I'm gathering that you like this section to be closer to the crown than to the middle of the brim. Please tell me if I have that all wrong. I do notice on some fedoras, in down-snapped mode, that the brim takes on a steeper incline about halfway towards the edge, which I'm now imagining is a longer brim-break than what your hat has.
The flange is sorta like the "depth" of the brim. A very shallow flange snapped down can have a long brim break where it appears to seem like the whole front half of the brim is flopping down. A deeper flange enables me to snap a smaller portion of the brim down.

O.F. Hess "Gazela", size 57cm, WWII era. Great blue (will not auto focus) color and Antelope finish. Also a little felt heart on the felt band. This hat is from my Czech find.

19640325988_19fac9c1f4_b.jpg

19640373598_af382bd716_b.jpg

19821076542_395e193d26_b.jpg

19828525525_95998c254c_b.jpg

19640209770_c43ebfbd55_b.jpg

19640206330_660fd70abc_b.jpg

Nyah

One of the Regulars
The flange is sorta like the "depth" of the brim. A very shallow flange snapped down can have a long brim break where it appears to seem like the whole front half of the brim is flopping down. A deeper flange enables me to snap a smaller portion of the brim down.
Is the brim-break only visible when the brim is snapped down on one end while it's left up on the opposite end (e.g. down in front, up in back) and easiest to locate when the side of the hat is facing you?

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Great square straight profile on the crown, much more so than in comparison to the Lock and Co. I picked up recently. Bit of damage to the grosgrain ribbon on the right side but otherwise in fine condition. With a new brim binding and a bit of steam to ease out a minor dent and it'll be like new.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
OCMH, is there someone out there that can replace the binding on a Bowler style hat? I've passed on a couple of otherwise nice hats because I didn't think anyone could do this anymore.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
OCMH, is there someone out there that can replace the binding on a Bowler style hat? I've passed on a couple of otherwise nice hats because I didn't think anyone could do this anymore.

I'll be sending it to Bob at Blacksheep, along with a few others today for some various needed repairs on a couple ailing bowlers. But I do know for a fact that Salmagundi's did an absolutely stellar job of replacing a brim binding on another loungers old bowler shown here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74808-My-new-Bowler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe