Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I'm surprised you didn't get a pm asking for a sale at $60! Nice finds, JG. Will you be hanging up a shingle soon?

John Galt

Vendor
John, congratulations! You beat me out by $.50 - I'm glad it went to someone I know - enjoy it!

Sorry about that, but it really was me pushing buttons, not a sniping program. I was traveling and had an alarm set, so I stopped for lunch and watched the clock run down. It was exciting there at the end!

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
I'm surprised you didn't get a pm asking for a sale at $60! Nice finds, JG. Will you be hanging up a shingle soon?

Yes. I have been gathering some necessary items & contacts (suppliers of quality materials) and learning skills. I have 37 vintage flanges in various widths & sizes, most from a second generation hatter who opened a shop in Kingsport Tenn. in 1951, and at least 11 crown blocks, most from Langenberg. I also have some vintage ribbon and hat irons, and the recent purchases.

I have been building hats for myself and friends for a while. I am also making a ROTLA fedora for a fellow Lounger, and a western for my nephew. I have learned a lot, and plan to go spend a weekend in Utah with JW to learn some of the finer skills/tricks, then get even more serious about this. I also have a few more tools to make, which I enjoy.

bloc

One of the Regulars
Hello, I'm new and very excited to be here. As a milliner hoping to evolve into a hatter I have MANY questions. To begin....
Is a flange what I (a Welsh milliner) might call a brim block?

John Galt

Vendor
Hello, I'm new and very excited to be here. As a milliner hoping to evolve into a hatter I have MANY questions. To begin....
Is a flange what I (a Welsh milliner) might call a brim block?

Yes indeed. Guess it's time for photos of a flange & flange stand.

ma8u7udu.jpg

a5apyqeb.jpg

uhy2ara8.jpg

These were originally purchased in 1951.

bloc

One of the Regulars
Yes indeed. Guess it's time for photos of a flange & flange stand.

ma8u7udu.jpg

a5apyqeb.jpg

uhy2ara8.jpg

These were originally purchased in 1951.

Thanks for that. And presumably you block the crown first, turn it upside down through the hole and pull the felt over the flange. Does it have a string groove or would you use pins?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It's got a groove all around - close to the bottom. You put the hat crown down in the flange and place a stretcher or brass band block in the opening to secure/lock the hat in the flange. Then you lay a piece of flanging cloth (heavy flannel) over the brim and secure it with a string around the flange. After wetting the cloth you can use a hot iron to set the brim shape - or you can use a hot sandbag with about 50-60 pounds of electrically heated sand on top of the flange. The sandbag should be left ontop of the flange for about 15 minutes

bloc

One of the Regulars
It's got a groove all around - close to the bottom. You put the hat crown down in the flange and place a stretcher or brass band block in the opening to secure/lock the hat in the flange. Then you lay a piece of flanging cloth (heavy flannel) over the brim and secure it with a string around the flange. After wetting the cloth you can use a hot iron to set the brim shape - or you can use a hot sandbag with about 50-60 pounds of electrically heated sand on top of the flange. The sandbag should be left ontop of the flange for about 15 minutes

Thank you TheDane. Starting to get the picture. I am very fortunate to have a local chap making blocks for me so all information is very useful :)

John Galt

Vendor
Then you lay a piece of flanging cloth (heavy flannel) over the brim and secure it ..,

This was a twofer, because I have been meaning to ask about this. Can you elaborate a little on the cloth?

Also, can anyone explain a hatter's knot? I know it is a "slip knot," generally, but my research is coming up empty on the exact nature of the knot...

Although it is not a "tool" as such, this seems the most appropriate thread.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
The cloth is made out of cotton muslin or cotton duck cloth. You tighten it as taut as you can and you tie your string into the grove. The string is called a "commander" and it is the same string your use on the crown with a runner down. As for the knot, I've always just used a slip knot. Hope this helps.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
This was a twofer, because I have been meaning to ask about this

Well, not so much to say about the cloth. As heavy a white/natural canton flannel you can find. I just tried to seach The Bay and found this. I don't know how thick it is, but you could try and ask the seller about thickness. I got me some via an old theatre connection, so I don't have any advice concerning dealers.

The hatter's/milliner's knot:

milliners_knot_zps51187874.gif

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The cloth is made out of cotton muslin or cotton duck cloth.

Not quite. The fabric that the old hat supply companies sold as "flanging cloth" was canton flannel. The sandbagger is made from duck cloth - and is covered with the same canton flannel.

If the sandbagger is heated with electricity, there's placed a piece of heavy glassfiber cloth between the sand and the duck cloth. Ontop of the glassfiber cloth is sewn a spiral of heating/resistance wire, and the wires is channeled through the sand to the top of the metal hood.

John: An old trick is to dip the string in some water before you lay it over the block or flange. Then the knot tightens even better. Of course this only works if the string is made out of cotton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82