Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Philippine WWII veterans seek equality from US

Story

I'll Lock Up
Filipino WWII reenactor links at bottom.

Philippine WWII veterans seek equality from US
By OLIVER TEVES – 17 hours ago

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Something is better than nothing, Filipino veterans said Wednesday after hearing they could get lump-sum benefit payments from the U.S. government more than six decades after they fought alongside American forces during World War II.
But they also said they will continue to press Washington to put them on par with their U.S. comrades-in-arms, claiming they have been short-changed and that Congress is dragging its feet as remaining survivors die of old age.
The U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday passed the "Filipino Veterans Equity Act of 2008" that would make one-time payments of $15,000 to Filipinos who are U.S. citizens and $9,000 to non-U.S. Filipino veterans.
"Whatever the Americans give, the Filipinos will receive," said retired Col. Francisco San Miguel, secretary general of the Veterans Federation of the Philippines. He added, however, they "will not stop seeking what is rightfully due to Filipinos. We will still seek equal treatment."
Filipino veterans have been clamoring for decades for the same benefits received by their American comrades who fought the Japanese.
The U.S. Senate passed a bill on veterans' affairs in April that provided additional pensions for many of the surviving veterans but has not acted on the House legislation. The senators could eith er approve the House version or hold a joint committee to work out differences before a final version is signed into law by the U.S. president.
Japan invaded the Philippines, then a U.S. colony, in December 1941.
When Filipinos were conscripted into the U.S. Army, they were promised full benefits as veterans. But after the war, the U.S. Congress reversed the promise in the Rescissions Acts of 1946.
Veterans who began receiving benefits before the Rescissions Acts continued to receive them.
Benefits for other veterans, many of whom fought in the Philippine jungles in U.S. uniforms and were forced by Japanese captors on the infamous Bataan Death March with their American comrades, were discontinued because they were deemed not to have been on active duty.
San Miguel, 81, said Filipino veterans "are getting older and they are dying one by one."
"What the Americans plan is when you die, too bad for your family. Only the living are going to receive benefits," he said, referring to proposals, cut from the House bill, that would have provided a $4,500 annual pension for a married eligible veteran living in the Philippines and $3,600 annual pension for an unmarried eligible veteran.
Enrique Aquino, a retired Filipino-American naval officer, told the Manila Bulletin newspaper that if those benefits are not be restored, the House bill "will be worse than the Rescissions Act of 1946."
Teodoro Torres, a 91-yea r-old former sergeant from Batangas province who survived the Bataan Death March, said he currently receives about $1,000 in a monthly disability pension. His one-time payment under the U.S. House legislation would be equal to only nine months of his pension.
Cesario Canlas, an 83-year-old former wartime guerrilla, said he would agree to the latest U.S. offer. He receives only $106 in a monthly pension.
"For me, that will do because I am already old," his daughter, Violy, quoted him as saying. Canlas has hearing difficulties.
The Bataan Death March started after U.S. forces surrendered in Bataan province west of Manila in April 1942. Japanese troops force marched an estimated 70,000 men 65 miles to a prison camp. Only 54,000 survived.

www.philippine-scouts.org/

pinoyhistory.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Story

I'll Lock Up
Six decades of lobbying and protests ended on Feb. 17 when President Obama signed the economic recovery package. The $787 billion legislation contained language authorizing the release of $198 million in lump sum payments to Filipino veterans of World War II.

Many died during the long lobbying campaign. But about 3,000 veterans now living in the United States could receive one-time payments of $15,000. An estimated 12,000 veterans living in the Philippines, where the standard of living is lower, could receive $9,000.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/ne...WII-vets-long-wait-for-compensation-ends.html

CEBU CITY—“At last, my waiting is over,” said 83-year-old Alfredo Taboada who was in the hospital when the US Veterans Administration (USVA) started interviewing World War II veterans who would qualify for the one-time compensation from the US government.

It did appear that his fondest wish was to be fulfilled. Taboada was interviewed on Tuesday afternoon but 37 hours later, at 2 a.m. Thursday, he died of sepsis, secondary to pneumonia while suffering other ailments because of old age.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquir...1812/War-vet-dies-after-his-interview-in-Cebu

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORGOTTEN_VETERANS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Last February, the U.S. said it would pay a lump sum - $9,000 or $15,000 - to veterans like Sotio in lieu of pensions it had promised Filipino soldiers during the war but reneged on paying.

Since then, more than 11,000 surviving veterans now in their 80s and 90s received this much delayed monetary recognition of their service and sacrifice. But thousands of others are still waiting to receive their money as the federal government wades through a backlog of applications.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm surprised this hasn't already been made so... thank you for posting this thread, Story. It's terrible that there is still inequality due to ethnicity in the United States.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it's both recognition and renumeration issue - no different than one of my guys' owed for previous drills and has earned an ARCOM or whatnot.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Setting precedence?

Does this mean that we have to give money to all who fought along the US during WWII? Were the Filipinos that are receiving the money in the US military during the war?

Sierra103

New in Town
Filipino Vets Deserve Far More Than Money

I actually wrote my master's thesis on the Philippine Army (PA) during WWII. I had the honor of interviewing some of these heroes. The veterans see it as a question of honor--they fulfilled their obligation to the US, and the US ignored them. Since the Philippines was a commonwealth of the US, an enlistment in the PA included the stipulation that they were part of America's armed forces. Most of these men fought the length of Bataan, endured the death march, and then sat in prison. After being released (roughly the middle of 1942), a large percentage of them became guerrillas and continued the fight. In 1945, Truman & Congressed reneged on the deal, and these men received nothing. Subsequent Presidents ignored the PA vets, as well. A group of vets, in their 90's, cornered then Senator Obama at a campaign fundraiser, and put him on the spot. Luckily, Obama sympathized; I don't think the vets could have waited another 4 or 8 years. The current problem is that very little enlistment documentation was issued, as many of the PA vets were ushered into service after the Japanese invasion. So you can see that the vets see it as far more serious than an ARCOM for a drill weekend.

Respectfully,
Matt

Story

I'll Lock Up
Andreev95/75 said:
So you can see that the vets see it as far more serious than an ARCOM for a drill weekend.

Considering I started the thread 15 months ago, I think I have a grasp on the severity of the PA vets' issue.

Respectfully, ARCOM's aren't handed out for drill weekends but for tours in Iraq.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
Considering I started the thread 15 months ago, I think I have a grasp on the severity of the PA vets' issue.

Respectfully, ARCOM's aren't handed out for drill weekends but for tours in Iraq.

Nobody in my Troop received an ARCOM for our tour in Iraq. There was talk of vehicle gunners each receiving one, but that was turned down very quickly. [huh]

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
Actually, it's both recognition and renumeration issue - no different than one of my guys' owed for previous drills and has earned an ARCOM or whatnot.

Yes, I realize that, and agree. I was just stating that now that some have finally received remuneration, in addition they really need to be recognized for their contributions so that future generations will be made aware.

Sierra103

New in Town
My Apologies...

My intent was not to turn this into a thread as to who deserves medals. My intention was to point out that the long-overdue legislation for Filipino veterans' equity hasn't solved the initial problem. Based on the data I've been able to collect, fewer than 3,000 veterans have been given their equity check. Part of the problem is that the Filipinos who joined the American-commanded Philippine Commonwealth Army rarely had enlistment documents (they didn't even get dog tags). Most of these documents never reached an archive, as they were destroyed by either the retreating Fil-American forces or the advancing Japanese. Consequently, Filipino veterans have to jump through often insurmountable hoops in order to prove they served. Imagine trying to locate your CO or 1SG sixty-five years from now, to get an affidavit of service--that's the quest of these veterans.

Respectfully,
Matt

BLACKCLOUD

New in Town
Why doesn't the Phillipino government pay the U.S. Veterans that rid their country of the Japanese a lump sum payment?

BLACKCLOUD

MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA

P.S.

I don't mean to be harsh or antagonistic I am just some what patriotic and think that we give away the farm as it is.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
I am confused about why the U.S. has to pay them money. I was under the impression that the only ppl who recvd money from the Govt for military svc were those who retired or were disabled during military svc.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
BLACKCLOUD said:
Why doesn't the Phillipino government pay the U.S. Veterans that rid their country of the Japanese a lump sum payment?

BLACKCLOUD

MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA

P.S.

I don't mean to be harsh or antagonistic I am just some what patriotic and think that we give away the farm as it is.

Don't forget that we rid them of the Spanish as well, and perhaps they should be protesting the Japanese gov't for benefits.

Back to my question, I was hopeing that the author of this thread had the answer. Either the answer isn't contained in this post or I have missed it which is probable. Why do ppl who did not retire from the U.S. military or who were serving in the U.S. military and were not wounded and disabled need benefits in the form of payments?

Blue Alii

New in Town
Aristaeus said:
Why do ppl who did not retire from the U.S. military or who were serving in the U.S. military and were not wounded and disabled need benefits in the form of payments?

After the war, American veterans were eligible for GI Bill benefits, one provision of which was the "52/20" allowance ($20 a week for a year, in lieu of educational allowance) for certain groups of veterans. Those who were not US citizens or legal residents were not eligible for these benefits.

As pointed out earlier in this thread, the Philippines was a US possession before WWII. As such, defense of the islands was funded and administered by the US. Filipinos served in regular US Army units such as the Philippine Scouts, albeit at reduced rates of pay. They also served with US-led commonwealth units and irregular forces during the war.The Filipino veteran bonus was intended as an equity measure for those who served in US forces during WWII.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Regular, or “Old,” Philippine Scouts. Regular Philippine Scouts, or “old scouts,” were Filipino Special Forces units of the U.S. Army whose officers were Americans. Originally formed in 1901, long before any formal plan for Philippine independence, the Regular Philippine Scouts were part of the U.S. Army throughout its existence. Their military service is considered active service in the U.S. Armed Forces and, therefore, they are eligible for all VA benefits and services at full benefit rates.

New Philippine Scouts. New Philippine Scouts were Philippine citizens who served with the U.S. Armed Forces with the consent of the Philippine government and served between Oct. 6, 1945, and June 30, 1947. New Philippine Scouts are entitled to disability compensation at half rates and their survivors are paid dependency and indemnity compensation at half rates, no matter where they reside. New Scouts are also entitled to medical treatment for service-connected disabilities only, on a discretionary basis.

Guerrilla Service. People in this group, called U.S. Armed Forces of the Far East (USAFFE) guerrillas, served in resistance units recognized by and cooperating with U.S. forces between April 20, 1942, and June 30, 1946. The entitlement of veterans of recognized guerrilla forces who live outside of the United States is limited but includes certain monetary benefits at half the statutory rate, and those who lawfully reside in the United States are entitled to full-rate disability compensation and burial benefits. Veterans are also entitled to burial in a national cemetery, a burial flag, a grave marker or headstone and a burial allowance. Service-disabled veterans may also receive comprehensive health care in the United States. Their survivors are entitled to dependency and indemnity compensation at half the statutory rate.

Commonwealth Army of the Philippines. Also known as the Philippine Commonwealth Army, its members served on or after July 26, 1941, and before June 30, 1946. The origins of the Commonwealth Army of the Philippines are in the early 1900s when the United States assumed formal sovereignty over the Philippines. At that time, the United States was preparing for the Philippines to become a sovereign nation. Public Law 73-127, enacted in 1934, reflects this. It required the Commonwealth Army to respond to the call of the President of the United States under certain conditions. The Commonwealth Army to service on July 26, 1941, and it served with the

Fact Sheet #23 Page 1 of 2

USAFFE command throughout World War II. The entitlement of Commonwealth Army veterans who live outside of the United States is limited but includes certain monetary benefits at half the statutory rate, and those who lawfully reside in the United States are entitled to full-rate disability compensation and burial benefits. Veterans are also entitled to burial in a national cemetery, a burial flag, a grave marker or headstone and a burial allowance. Service-disabled veterans may also receive comprehensive health care in the United States. Their survivors are entitled to dependency and indemnity compensation at half the statutory rate.

http://hss.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/VA/23-PhilippineBenefits.htm

DOHA’s adjudicators denied any claim for the Philippine Army/Philippine Scout pay
because there is no evidence to demonstrate that the claim was presented to us or a proper agent
of the United States under prior law before September 16, 2008. The adjudicators note that
under the Act of October 9, 1940, ch. 788, 54 Stat. 1061, claims like this had to be presented to
the Comptroller General, with some exceptions not relevant here, within ten years of accrual.
The claim accrued no later than the date that the claimant’s husband was discharged on January
26, 1949. Under the law as it then existed, any pay for service in the Philippine Scouts had to be
received in the General Accounting Office (now Government Accountability Office) by January
26, 1959. The Act of October 9, 1940, was later codified in title 31 of the United States Code,
Section 71a (31 U.S.C. § 71a), modified to reduce the period of limitations to six years instead of
ten, and is now found in 31 U.S.C. § 3702(b).1

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/claims/military/08102902.pdf

Story

I'll Lock Up
With Congress poised to tackle comprehensive immigration reform, some are worried about what will be left out. In particular, there’s concern that a policy overhaul might eliminate some categories of family visas. That’s troubling to one group of immigrants who already wait the longest for those types of visas, and who feel they should be given special consideration. They are the families of Filipino veterans who fought for the US during World War II.

http://www.theworld.org/2013/04/fil...e-immigration-reform-does-not-leave-them-out/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe