Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama hats ratings: my opinion

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That hat is certainly a beauty. The photo shows what appears to be a fine panama hat that has been wonderfully finished.

However, this is exactly the type of photo that lends itself to this discussion. Again, while the block and ribbon look perfect, the very thing that makes this hat a panama - the weave - is barely visible.

BT's statement that photographs of every hat body would raise prices is certainly true but, when it comes to hats at a certain level (whether it's quality or price), 5 high res. shots of the front, back, left, right, and top of the hat would allow one to view the degree to which the weave is even; though even this does not replace actually touching the hat.

I'm not expressing any doubt toward this particular hat which, I'm sure, is a true prize.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Another sarcastic, defensive kind of day?

Much of this discussion has been about using photos to show quality.
That hat looks to be a nice one from a distance but without shots that actually show the weave, it's just pretty - not informative.

Panamabob said:
appears and doubt....no relation, none, whatsoever. :eusa_clap

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Not defensive at all, nor implying sarcasm. I'm just reading one thing and interpreting another. My mistake, perhaps. In fact, I'd love to talk to you in person. I don't think my sense of humor comes out well at all over these forums...perhaps I don't "get" yours either.

:p

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Just to establish a baseline, then, are you saying that this is a truthful, straight-forward, non-sarcastic statement?

Panamabob said:
I think this hat was about $10.00.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
For the sake of clarity, there was a mention of the "raffle" hat last year that was never posted. Although I suggested to the powers that be that it be publically posted to assure , if nothing else, that the raffle was legit and was completed satisfactorily, it was never done.
This is the hat won in the raffle. It is approx 1500 weave count ( how straight the weaves are I'll leave up to the "experts" because that is subjective). and as you can see, the color is creamy and consistent.

BT, your thoughts are so "spot on" its a bit frightening. You must have a direct port into my head. lol lol

Tom, I was resistant to your thoughts on pictures earlier in the thread but couldn't really explain why adequitely. Lefty's response above has just proven my thoughts better than I could express. Pictures just won't be enough.
Lefty, the weave is barely visible because it is SO fine it would take a professional photographer to capture it. Even then, I have doubt's is would satisfy and calm all arguements about it because so much of this discussion involves subjective judgements, which, as you know are opinions. You know what they say about opinions.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Art,

I remember watching that raffle in my lurking days. If I recall correctly, it was a member in KY or TN who won and then disappeared. It really is a shame that he didn't post photos of it.

As to viewing photos, the technology is there such that if you take a well-focused shot at a high resolution, the viewer can download the photo and zoom in on it to the point of practically counting fibers within each straw. Posting such high res. photos on the Lounge may not be possible, due to the necessary limits of the site, but with just a 10mp camera and a tripod, they would certainly be easy enough to shoot. Then, each viewer could determine whether the hat was what he was looking for.

Again, it is a beautiful hat and, had I been a member at the time, I certainly would have taken part in the raffle.

Oh, and Bob, what's the deal with trimming out these babes? Someone other than Art is doing the lower-end ones, right? In another thread, kabuto (I think it was) posted pics of a recent acquisition of his. His account left the impression that he's quite satisfied with the hat and the value for the money, etc. But his photo of that sweatband had me wondering what was up with that. I mean, the stitching on the back seam looked almost as bad as some of my early attempts.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Defensive? Ecuadorian blocked and finished is just not as good as our hatters in USA can do. No apologies, but you'll note the price difference is there for a reason.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Easy, PB. It's just a question and it's not even mine.

Panamabob said:
Defensive? Ecuadorian blocked and finished is just not as good as our hatters in USA can do. No apologies, but you'll note the price difference is there for a reason.

Yeah, can't complain one whit, considering the price. It brought me some comfort, actually, to see that I'm not the only one who has done a less than perfect job of it. And those lids of yours, at the prices you charge, are still a much better bargain than anything I can find at the local hat store. The trim work on their low-end stuff is downright shoddy. The sweats on some of them are truly nothing more than a thin strip of fabric sewn in crookedly. I don't blame 'em for stocking that stuff, seeing how they have to keep the cash register ringing and how many (most?) of their would-be customers wouldn't appreciate the differences in quality anyway. But man oh man, some of that stuff is just a small step above disposable grade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe