Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

LizzieMaine

Bartender
High armholes, even

Feraud said:
Don't forget to have a local firebrand in the vintage town.

Cor.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Please remember to tip, not incite, your bartender.

carter said:
Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?

It appears that a "vintage town" means many things to many people. Why, it's not even confined to a specific span of years.

Kinda reminds me of what has happened to most villages, towns, and cities throughout history.

It's even gotten to the point where some of the citizens are judging other citizens who are judging other citizens...Bias isn't just a kind of tape anymore.

On the other hand, some folks are just passing through.

Didn't John Steinbeck or Sinclair Lewis write a novel about a town like this?

Carebear, Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett? ;)

You're a funny guy. lol

What's happening in Willoughby?

carter said:
Carebear, Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett? ;)

You're a funny guy. lol

What's happening in Willoughby?

Today in Willoughhby the local band played on the bandstand for an hour at lunch time. Fun and frivality was had by all.
We kicked out a few hippies playing Dylan songs on boom boxes and life went on as usual.
Children went to school and learned how to think and not what to think.
Adults went to their local jobs---narry a commute amongst us.
FM's Soda Fountain was packed full most of the day. I think the guy needs a vacation or treatment for tennis elbow. :D
Some children were given a good scolding by AK for placing a bunch of barrel rings outside a known bully's house and ringing the doorbell. He came out and well, his shins are never going to be the same. :rolleyes:
Linc had a good day on his platform---venison for everyone.
JP, the mayor declared today to be the Official end to Boater season and set aside monies to be spent for the local Christmas Day parade with floats and the like down Main Street on December 22nd. After the judging, refreshments will be served in the town square--provided by local merchants.
A few citizens have gone to Potterville for the winter season. Plenty of snow and cold for everyone there.
That's the news here Carter. Back to you. Good day. :D

nyx said:
:eek:fftopic: Hey guys, can you duke it out in PMs? I kind of the liked the dreamy fantasy of this little thread, which really doesn't matter, because I don't think any of us can afford to buy a town anyway :p
Well, there are some towns in the Midwest that are dying 'cause everyone's moving away, I'm sure if enough of us threw in enough cash we might be able to afford to create a vintage-aficionado version of a Potemkin Village by buying one of them...lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I’ve been thinking (I know, I’m so dangerous lol) and I always am fascinated by the Amish communities live as if it were the 19th Century even today. And they’re perfectly happy doing as they do… for religious beliefs of course but, still, they don’t seem to really mind not being concerned with what the rest of the world is doing… or going.

I think if the Amish can live as if it’s the 19th Century, why can’t we find a place to take over and claim as our special early to mid 20th Century home? It would take lots of work and people to leave their jobs and homes… is it a realistic dream or just completely out of the question? I say if there were some who believed in what they could do to start small business growth and take on people as employees and start to shape the town, it would work very well. There’d be plenty of work to be done I think. We’d need school teachers, librarians, accountants, police officers, fire fighters, carpenters, a group of folks who know a great deal about vintage cars, restoration experts and part fabricators… we’d need shop owners and people to work for them… we’d need a post office and a telegram office ;) We’d also need people to work for the parks to help keep the streets clean… lots of things to do… but, it would take time to make it all come together before money was really flowing.

We’d need to appeal to outsiders to generate income I think. Hate to have our little dream town to become a tourist trap but, it would help to bring in money to build up the place and make it perfect!

If it got big enough, I’d love to see a standard gage railroad evolve… get a group of volunteers to restore a few steam locos and heavy weight Pullmans… have a modest round house and such… amazing! Have a rail line run to a large city! Have it for hire to bring in guests and also for people who live in the town to visit the out side cities.

What a wonderful thing it could be if all of us put our hearts and souls into it!

cowboy76

Suspended
Forgotten Man said:
The point to having a vintage town is to focus the people who have a passion for the past, what it was and why we like it. The modern mind set is to accept EVERYONE. People who don't appreciate a vintage 1920's to 50's type of style would prefer to live in any town across the US or other parts of the world.

It would be contradictory to allow people with no standards, no class and a passion to destroy historic places into our dream community.

I say live where you wish, my self, I find it entertaining to envision a place away from the modern mind set... because I don't subscribe to it... it annoys me, it bothers me and I truly wish for a place that is not as overly uptight as today's society.

I'm with you!!.....couldn't have said it better myself! c'mon people,...get on board here,....I thought the cats here were here for the same reason??[huh]

cowboy76

Suspended
nyx said:
:eek:fftopic: Hey guys, can you duke it out in PMs? I kind of the liked the dreamy fantasy of this little thread, which really doesn't matter, because I don't think any of us can afford to buy a town anyway :p

I was busy daydreaming about how I could get up to teach in the morning at the local highschool after working all night at the nearest juke joint. Don't ruin it for me:D

I'm stepping out of this entire thread. I have no idea whatsoever as to how this has gone so awry?? I'm wondering if people just can't take a joke of the No Hippies sign, or maybe some have deep inner issues that they publicly opt to wrestle with,....who knows??[huh] Either way, lighten up guys and gals,....tomorrow's another day, you're still breathing, you're still above the green grass and not below it,...and the sun is still shining! Sit back and laugh a little,....life can always be worse, but when it is you'll wonder why you spent so much time getting angry over a website!!

Either way,...I see this thread was started in the "Golden Era" area of the board, so, in its nature that has always meant to be kept to the thread's heading/title,..you know, cars in the cars thread,...baseball in the baseball thread and so on??

Oh well,...I'm in my own vintage town in my mind,...LOL!!:D

Oh and Lizzie, used your advice,...got my 2 gal pail and I'm doing a bit-o-wash tomorrow,....a cool way to save some dough!

Forgotten Man said:
I’ve been thinking (I know, I’m so dangerous lol) and I always am fascinated by the Amish communities live as if it were the 19th Century even today. And they’re perfectly happy doing as they do… for religious beliefs of course but, still, they don’t seem to really mind not being concerned with what the rest of the world is doing… or going.

I think if the Amish can live as if it’s the 19th Century, why can’t we find a place to take over and claim as our special early to mid 20th Century home? It would take lots of work and people to leave their jobs and homes… is it a realistic dream or just completely out of the question? I say if there were some who believed in what they could do to start small business growth and take on people as employees and start to shape the town, it would work very well. There’d be plenty of work to be done I think. We’d need school teachers, librarians, accountants, police officers, fire fighters, carpenters, a group of folks who know a great deal about vintage cars, restoration experts and part fabricators… we’d need shop owners and people to work for them… we’d need a post office and a telegram office ;) We’d also need people to work for the parks to help keep the streets clean… lots of things to do… but, it would take time to make it all come together before money was really flowing.

We’d need to appeal to outsiders to generate income I think. Hate to have our little dream town to become a tourist trap but, it would help to bring in money to build up the place and make it perfect!

If it got big enough, I’d love to see a standard gage railroad evolve… get a group of volunteers to restore a few steam locos and heavy weight Pullmans… have a modest round house and such… amazing! Have a rail line run to a large city! Have it for hire to bring in guests and also for people who live in the town to visit the out side cities.

What a wonderful thing it could be if all of us put our hearts and souls into it!

Actually, you bring up a few salient points that would be real money makers---aside from tourism. All those specialized people in one location concerning vintage everything would likely attract business from places across the country. Classic auto restoration, home restoration and authentic hardware and such for it, furniture, hats, clothing---the list is endless. It would be quite an example for many to follow on a small individual scale.
You wouldn't have to worry about income. If we build it, they would beat a path to our door. :D

Regards,

J

Ben

One of the Regulars
You folks who are really interested in starting a vintage town might want to consider paying a visit to Mackinac Island Michigan.

It is probably a little older than what most of you are thinking, but the entire island focuses on preserving the past with a few modern amenities. For example there are no modern vehicles allow on the roads. It is all horses, wagons, and bicycles. The nod to modernity is there is an air strip on the island, because that is the only way to guarantee food deliveries in the winter. Also, there are a few emergency vehicles on the island and indoor plumbing. but otherwise, they try to keep it rather old timey.

Their main source of income is tourism. This means that some concesions are made and the place is not necessarily as idyllic as some people might like. But then again, that is an issue that those of you looking to create a modern vintage town would face if you looked to tourists for an income.

Again, I am not saying it is a one to one mapping for all your ideas, but just something that you might look at for both inspiration and practcal considerations.

cowboy76

Suspended
Ben said:
You folks who are really interested in starting a vintage town might want to consider paying a visit to Mackinac Island Michigan.

It is probably a little older than what most of you are thinking, but the entire island focuses on preserving the past with a few modern amenities. For example there are no modern vehicles allow on the roads. It is all horses, wagons, and bicycles. The nod to modernity is there is an air strip on the island, because that is the only way to guarantee food deliveries in the winter. Also, there are a few emergency vehicles on the island and indoor plumbing. but otherwise, they try to keep it rather old timey.

Their main source of income is tourism. This means that some concesions are made and the place is not necessarily as idyllic as some people might like. But then again, that is an issue that those of you looking to create a modern vintage town would face if you looked to tourists for an income.

Again, I am not saying it is a one to one mapping for all your ideas, but just something that you might look at for both inspiration and practcal considerations.

Hmmm,...never heard of this,..very interesting!

Ben said:

Interesting but we have to allow cars. A vintage town without vintage cars just ain't cutting it for me. :p
I could really care less about tourism as a main source of income as stated above. I would prefer good old fashioned commerce to get us up and running. If tourism is a side benefit then that's great but catering to tourists......[huh]

Sarge

One of the Regulars
Ben said:

Mackinac Island is a really great place. We got up to Mackinaw City every year for a couple of weeks (around Labor Day) and usually spend a night or two on the island. The island has more of a Victorian village feel to it both in architecture and pace. The lack of motor cars on the island really helps make you feel your in that bygone (1840-1900) era. Although the don't allow automobiles on the island they do allow the 500 or so full-time residents use snowmobiles in the winter months.

main_street_mackinaw_island.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Limited use of automobiles

I strongly agree with the limited use of automobiles even though I own far too many.

Could we keep the internet though? (sheepish):)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
carter said:
I strongly agree with the limited use of automobiles even though I own far too many.

Could we keep the internet though? (sheepish):)

I say whosoever wish to own an auto, it must be pre 1958! We gotta think Cuba on this :D lol

We'd have top restoration shops, also mechanics who fabricate parts on site for any make and model for any year up to '57 or so. We'd have deals struck with Coker tire to distribute quality rubber bias ply tires for our autos.

Also, a few gas stations that look just like this Associated station.

8301.jpg

Now that is a fillin' station!!!:D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Not to create combustion but it depends on the vintage.

Ok, motorheads, :) can the use of automobiles be limited or reserved for some areas but not others?

It'll cut down on pollution, noise, etc. and help promote clean air and a healthier lifestyle. Walking, biking, horseback, horsedrawn, skis and snowshoes if we have winter are all viable means of getting about.

ForgottenMan mentioned the Amish, they seem to do well with limited use of the automobile as do Mennonites and Moravians.

We may need a series of villages set in different periods of 'vintage'. Perhaps we could all be linked by the internet. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld