Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

A.R. McVintage

Story said:
Saw one round my ways in May of 2001. [huh]

I'm talking Quick and the Dead style, not gangbanger. From the story he told, some guy who thought he was the cat's pajamas came out dressed like he was Tom Mix and was challenging this old farmer who whipped up a shotgun and blew the guy off his feet.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
cowboy76 said:
I LIKE THIS ONE BETTER!!! ;)

nohippies.jpg
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

We don't want no Hippies here see, find another town to trash thank you!:mad:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Viola said:
For me, I don't have clear-cut boundaries like this, though I can totally see and respect what you are saying. For one thing, I love '20s-'30s stuff in decor and architecture, (and its decor and accessories that brought me to the Lounge originally, not clothes) but I can't wear the women's fashions or feel the same love for them as for '40s-'50s fashions. And the cars, oh, huge gaudy chromed-out '50s cars are just cool!

But I was born in '84.

Now, there's a lot of that I've noticed... some love deco and such but, when it comes to clothes and cars it's all about mid century. :eusa_doh:

I think if one was to really dig deep and find the true styles of the late 20's to the mid 30's, they'd see how attractive and classic those looks are! And the cars of those periods are just so beautiful! Don't get me wrong, I love chrome but, I think the late 20's to mid 30's cars had some beautiful design, not as eye catching but, simple and elegant.

It's just different, I think one should give any decade a chance and they will find them selves taking a liking to most anything old.

When I first got into this kind of thing, I loved the 50's music but, I loved WWII aircraft... then, soon as I learned more about the 40's, I became all about the 40's... then, my first girlfriend loved the 20's and early 30's... she introduced me to the music and design of those years... I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE 1920's and 1930's!!! Now, my passion is so vast... I don't pick and choose what I like about a period, I love EVERYTHING about the period I may be infatuated with! And that comes from learning about that period and diving in with both hands and finding out why things were the way they were and such. It also helps to see most of those fashions on real people today being worn correctly! Not only to see them in fashion magazines and catalogs... it's good to look at scores of original photos of people in all shapes and sizes dressed in the styles of a particular year... and I'm aiming at the 20's to the 30's.

Now, there are some who don't suit the early styles as well as some but, I feel that anyone can dress in any period and make it work for them IF they do it right.

PS. NO HIPPIES!!!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think I will go live in a modern town where there is kindness and acceptance of others.....no matter who they are, rather then a town that has the equivalent of a different drinking fountain for folks 'not like the others'

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I think I will go live in a modern town where there is kindness and acceptance of others.....no matter who they are, rather then a town that has the equivalent of a different drinking fountain for folks 'not like the others'

The point to having a vintage town is to focus the people who have a passion for the past, what it was and why we like it. The modern mind set is to accept EVERYONE. People who don't appreciate a vintage 1920's to 50's type of style would prefer to live in any town across the US or other parts of the world.

It would be contradictory to allow people with no standards, no class and a passion to destroy historic places into our dream community.

I say live where you wish, my self, I find it entertaining to envision a place away from the modern mind set... because I don't subscribe to it... it annoys me, it bothers me and I truly wish for a place that is not as overly uptight as today's society.

carter

I'll Lock Up
A sense of community.

Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?

It appears that a "vintage town" means many things to many people. Why, it's not even confined to a specific span of years.

Kinda reminds me of what has happened to most villages, towns, and cities throughout history.

It's even gotten to the point where some of the citizens are judging other citizens who are judging other citizens...Bias isn't just a kind of tape anymore.

On the other hand, some folks are just passing through.

Didn't John Steinbeck or Sinclair Lewis write a novel about a town like this?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Didn't John Steinbeck or Sinclair Lewis write a novel about a town like this?

Red Harvest?

Matt "Moonflower" Deckard said:
It's okay... i can handle the cops dragging me to hippieville.

Hippy. You keep self-identifying with that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :D

A.R. McVintage

Miss Neecerie said:

Remember, just because in modern times we can legislate what folks can and can not do and say to other folks doesn't mean we've changed what lies in their hearts.

If modern times were truly "enlightened" and folks accepted each other lock, stock, and barrel, then every comedian whose schtick is, "Such-and-such a race is like this, while such-and-such a race is like this," would be looked upon with confusion.

Feraud

Bartender
A.R. McVintage said:
Remember, just because in modern times we can legislate what folks can and can not do and say to other folks doesn't mean we've changed what lies in their hearts.

If modern times were truly "enlightened" and folks accepted each other lock, stock, and barrel, then every comedian whose schtick is, "Such-and-such a race is like this, while such-and-such a race is like this," would be looked upon with confusion.

Much like legislation was used in the "good old days" to keep certain races down, it is used today to present an equal playing field. However well it works is not the point of my comments.

If I had to choose, I say legislate the community for the benefit of everyone and not a select group.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Much like legislation was used in the "good old days" to keep certain races down, it is used today to present an equal playing field. However well it works is not the point of my comments.

If I had to choose, I say legislate the community for the benefit of everyone and not a select group.

But you are missing their fine point...they dont -want- anyone but their select group to live in their town..erm fantasyland....

They wouldnt have to legislate anything...as all would be perfection without the undesirables....;)

A.R. McVintage

Miss Neecerie said:
But you are missing their fine point...they dont -want- anyone but their select group to live in their town..erm fantasyland....

They wouldnt have to legislate anything...as all would be perfection without the undesirables....;)

Say what you will as long as you don't lump me into your "they."

I said nothing about this "Castle in the Sky."

nyx

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:

There's a short story by Ursula LeGuin called, "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas." I think you'd appreciate it, Miss Neecerie.

Feraud

Bartender
A.R. McVintage said:
That addressed nothing of my post.
It absolutely did.

And..
A.R. McVintage said:
If you were, let's say, black, would you rather know that some people hate you because of the melanin content of your skin, or if you're gay and some people hate you for your lifestyle, or you're any myriad of things and hated because of them and therefore you also know what places it would be better to live in, or, like now, would you rather think that the law has changed people and then get bushwhacked and dragged to death behind a truck because you thought that because the law says people can't be predjudiced, they aren't?
I am neither black nor gay so I cannot answer this question. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

If you are asking whether or not I prefer my discrimination up front or kept in the back I say neither. Laws might not immediately affect those who choose to break them but in the long run they do show future generations as to what is acceptable in society. Whether or not anyone chooses to follow them does not undermine the quality of the law.

Feraud

Bartender
I am sorry you see my comment stating I am against discrimation in any form as "bumper sticker". I thought it was honest and not at all faced with a "strong question".

Living in NYC we have very real interactions and nothing to make any of us as milquetoast as you put it. Do not flatter yourself to think you are the only one who lives in the real world.

I did not realize your comments about discriminating and the law was about "other people" and not your own personal comments. I am sure "they" thank you.

Quite a few of the comments added in this thread have convinced me a vintage town might not appear as milquetoast as we intend it to be.

Feraud

Bartender
A.R. McVintage said:
I haven't acted out or wrongly on these forums, so a "bartender" such as yourself worrying at me like a dog with an old milkbone is odd.

There is nothing odd about my replying to a thread and I find your analogies amusing. I am not replying as a bartender but as any other guy. You are going at length to show I did not reply to your comment. I think I did but will let my replies speak for themself and not need go back to edit anything I said.

In the course of the many discussions at the Lounge we frequently sidetrack into the semantics of what exactly someone said and what every word means. I find it unproductive to the bigger conversation.

nyx

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Hey guys, can you duke it out in PMs? I kind of the liked the dreamy fantasy of this little thread, which really doesn't matter, because I don't think any of us can afford to buy a town anyway :p

I was busy daydreaming about how I could get up to teach in the morning at the local highschool after working all night at the nearest juke joint. Don't ruin it for me:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld