Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, thank you. I really appreciate your perspective on the matter, and what you've said makes a lot of sense to me. I originally leaned toward this new Stetsonian, then started leaning away, but you've corrected my list. :)

I love this forum. There's so much knowledge and so much camaraderie--and so many gentlemen scholars who Mae it an amazing place.

A

I'm glad you decided to buy one. :)

I just know how many of us have wanted a production Open Crown hat that we would be proud to wear on our heads. Its not Custom....and that's the point. It's a production hat that hopefully will be available to major chains someday and anyone who walks into a department store looking to buy a suit, tie, shirt, and shoes will also be able to buy one of these hats at the same time. Custom hats are wonderful, but they are just that....custom. Not everybody wants to wait, wants to buy, or can afford a custom hat. But if many lounge members buy these Open Crown offerings AND Stetson MARKETS these hats well to the public.......I see no reason why they shouldn't be in major department stores in the near future. Its a chain reaction. The more people you can get into a good felt hat at the retail level, the more felt hat buyers you will have overall. Like Tony said, those same people buying a good production hat now may down the line want to invest in a great custom. Everybody wins here.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The Stetsonian........

First Registration Date: 3/18/1924

First Use Anywhere: 4/1/1917

"Status Update! On Monday, September 16, 2013, status on the THE STETSONIAN trademark changed to REGISTERED AND RENEWED."

http://www.trademarkia.com/the-stetsonian-71183637.html

Looks familiar........

OH, and I also saw this pic on Matt's site.........

Looks to be the original Stetson No.1 Quality stamp that many of us vintage hat collectors look for on vintage Stetson Westerns. I see COOL things on the horizon!

Landman

One Too Many
I love both those old stamps. Especially the unique font on the Stetsonian. I know that nobody can see them when you are wearing the hat but the stampings on a sweatband are a big deal to me.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
As is so often the case, you hit the nail on the head, Josh. A revival of hat wearing doesn't lie with custom hat makers but with the wide availability of affordable, quality handsome hats.

That note about the trademark gave me chills. How awesome!

The wait is the hardest part... :)

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Oh, one other question Jeff, if you'd be so kind. What's the thickness of the felt like on the Stratoliner?

Jared the thickness to my feel is similar to the Modern Stratoliner maybe a little thinner

Mike here is the picture you are looking for
847da71c358cb71124329d74df5a7bcd_zps75d6e895.jpg

Jeff

Roan

One of the Regulars
I just read the entire thread again...man! It's gonna be a long wait!

Got that right! I just ordered mine this afternoon and I'm already anxious to get it! I guess the good thing is: by the time it gets here it won't be the foremost thing in my mind so, when it does finally arrive, it will seem like an early Christmas present to myself.

g.durand

One Too Many
Jared the thickness to my feel is similar to the Modern Stratoliner maybe a little thinner

Mike here is the picture you are looking for
847da71c358cb71124329d74df5a7bcd_zps75d6e895.jpg

Jeff

Jeff---is there any sign of powder applied to the felt to even out the color? It's something I've seen on some modern Stetsons.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I love both those old stamps. Especially the unique font on the Stetsonian. I know that nobody can see them when you are wearing the hat but the stampings on a sweatband are a big deal to me.

As is so often the case, you hit the nail on the head, Josh. A revival of hat wearing doesn't lie with custom hat makers but with the wide availability of affordable, quality handsome hats.

That note about the trademark gave me chills. How awesome!

The wait is the hardest part... :)

Its all about details. I LOVE pre-30's hats because the materials they used, the printing quality, and stamping quality is always top notch. Even a cheaper hat back then had some beautiful trimming details. First its vintage stamps on sweatbands......then maybe better quality leather....then maybe raw silk liners......oh man, I'm getting excited about these new Stetsons.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I have handled the hat a lot and have not had to wash my hands. I can't say that about all Stestons if that answers your question

Jeff

That's really good to hear, Jeff. Thanks for all your patience with all of our questions. If Stetson was able to improve color saturation in the felt without the use of powder, that's a MAJOR win.

Duper

Practically Family
I am very curious about the new Stetson Runabout. A packable fedora that has a moderate brim and ribbon width. Saw an Instagram picture today of them racked to be packed and shipped to retailers. Not an open crown but still a new model that is less stiff.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I really like what I am seeing of these new Stetsons!
I have just comissioned my first custom hat, but rest assured I will be buying a Stetsonian in the near future.

From Stetson USA

''Here's a sneak peak at the Stetson "Runabout" prototype, made of lightweight durable felt that's foldable for travel.''

qbxj.jpg

Wow. Looks like they're REALLY getting serious.

Who deserves the accolades for making all this happen? It might be a few folks, but they should all take a bow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82