Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old time hat

Christopher Lange

New in Town
Good day, Gentlemen!

So I came across this photo of Gary Cooper with his hat (and horse). The hat is rather nice with a tall, non-tapered crown and a brim that sits high up (it doesn't touch the Gary's ears).
pBJ2rwjYDQmW.jpg

Do you know what modern hat has such features?

I am contemplating an Akubra Fed IV, which is supposed to have the flair of those old days (straight, non-tapered crown...). What do you think?

I own two Akubras (Stylemaster and Balmoral) and the brims of those hats sit rather low. If the hats are tilted, which they are all the time, the brims will push and bend my pinna. I guess what happened is, when I bought the hats, I, doing accordingly to the advice given here and elsewhere, went for a larger size. One might say I traded the look I want for comfort. Should I go down a size next time I buy a hat?

Thank you,

Chris

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I can only get this... erm... look with a hat 1 size smaller that sits on top of my head.
But I think this can be made with a tweak to the sweatband.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
If you wear the hat lower, closer to the eyebrows & the brim more horizontal,( not tilted back,) you should get this effect unless the hat really is too big in which case you can slip something behind the sweatband to get a slightly tighter fit. When measuring your head for a new hat, run the tape around where you want the hat to to sit.

RJR

If you wear the hat lower, closer to the eyebrows & the brim more horizontal,( not tilted back,) you should get this effect unless the hat really is too big in which case you can slip something behind the sweatband to get a slightly tighter fit. When measuring your head for a new hat, run the tape around where you want the hat to to sit.
+1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe