Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I do the most traditional sort of yoga, nothing like Power yoga, none of that holding positions for hours and putting strain on your joints for me! I don't know much about the other forms, but I do know that it works wonders on my body and my metabolism - I've been slowly toning up and ddropping weight for 2 years, and I now weigh less than I've done since I was about 15! It's great!

Shearer

Practically Family
Thanks Fleur! My DVD came today, but I was too tired to try it out... how's that for irony? lol Hopefully I won't have that problem when I get back into yoga again.

I wanted something like what you described... just basic poses for balance, flexibility and strength. No Bikram yoga for me, thanks! ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Here's an odd question, but I know I'll hear interesting perspectives from you ladies:

Should I buy exercise equipment or a gym membership? The benefits of the former would be never waiting in lines, being able to work out at two am, no gas costs, and being able to sweat without worrying how I look. The gym membership would mean a wider selection of equipment, a pool, a little social scene, and I can't ignore it and say I'll do it later, I have to go, because I paid for it! lol

Thoughts, experiences, random insults? ;)

-Viola

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Viola said:
I can't ignore it and say I'll do it later, I have to go, because I paid for it! lol

i can speak from the experience of myself and many others i know... this will not necessarily get your butt into the gym! lol perhaps they have a short-term membership so you can try it first?

other than that... i don't have advice. my exercise consists of biking (as transportation), walking 8 billion miles at work, and dancing (for fun), so i don't really have the energy to seek out exercise beyond that!

i will add though that another option is taking a dance class or two, of any style you want. ballet, belly, swing, etc are all great exercise, and you will definitely make friends. i know it's not for everyone though. ok, i guess this is advice, just not the kind you asked for! :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Hey, I asked for advice, and that was advice! I appreciate it, ShooShoo.

Classes are an interesting thought, because I'm actually very good at getting to appointments, as long as they're rigid and somebody is expecting me. Of course, I have no rhythm at all, but bellydancing or tae kwon do could be a lot of fun.

I do walk a lot, a couple miles a day at least and often more - the glories of no car and two dogs that need walks. Its kept me from getting totally marshmallow-y but it just doesn't seem to be doing much for muscle definition or upper body strength.

-Viola

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Viola said:
Should I buy exercise equipment or a gym membership? The benefits of the former would be never waiting in lines, being able to work out at two am, no gas costs, and being able to sweat without worrying how I look. The gym membership would mean a wider selection of equipment, a pool, a little social scene, and I can't ignore it and say I'll do it later, I have to go, because I paid for it! lol

Thoughts, experiences, random insults? ;)

-Viola
The cons of home equipemnt - not using them, catching dust, using as clothes horse
The cons of gym - an extra card in your wallet or in my case a pretty litte electronic key chain
:p

It all depends on your own self motivation. My sister has a bunch of equipment she has at home she doesnt use, but she has been following a strict eating program and that is how she has been getting the pounds down.
I have been going to the gym an average of 2 x a month, just to friggin tired to go, working too much, I wish mine had a pool, then I would go for sure. The last one I was a member of had a pool and I was there just for the laps......aaawwwwww sweet releif.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I have an exercise bike at home which I love and use frequently. I know that I would not go to the gym even with a paid membership. So home works best for me.

Also I was looking through my 50's magazines today and came across a height/weight chart. It states height with shoes on = 2 inch heels. Now I'm confused does that mean add 2 inches to your height to get the weight recommended, so being 5 foot five, do you check the 5 foot 7 inch to give you the weight range. Or am I being too dumb for words........

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
I have an exercise bike at home which I love and use frequently. I know that I would not go to the gym even with a paid membership. So home works best for me.

Also I was looking through my 50's magazines today and came across a height/weight chart. It states height with shoes on = 2 inch heels. Now I'm confused does that mean add 2 inches to your height to get the weight recommended, so being 5 foot five, do you check the 5 foot 7 inch to give you the weight range. Or am I being too dumb for words........

how weird that they include heels in the height! it sounds like that's what they mean though... otherwise why would they bring up the shoes at all? hmm...

Viola

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:

Yeah, you're 5'7" there. And I'm 5'3" Too bad they don't let you write off three or five lbs. for clothing, though!

I've seen that "with heels" before, on really old charts. They even have one-inch-for-shoes for guys.

-Viola

Novella

Practically Family
Viola said:
Should I buy exercise equipment or a gym membership?

ShooShooBaby's suggestion of looking for a short term/trial gym membership is a good one. I'm a gym membership kind of gal. If I make going to the gym part of my weekly routine I have no problem going. Once I get to the gym there's nothing to do there but exercise, but at home when I plan on exercising I often end up watching a movie or going online instead of exercising. It takes getting out to get me motivated. And I don't have a problem with being sweaty and in exercise clothes at the gym. Exercise equipment can take up a lot of room too. I move a lot and it's easier for me to just change gyms. Of course, I know people who are just the opposite and have no problem exercising at home, and actually prefer it.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Viola said:
Yeah, you're 5'7" there. And I'm 5'3" Too bad they don't let you write off three or five lbs. for clothing, though!

I've seen that "with heels" before, on really old charts. They even have one-inch-for-shoes for guys.

-Viola

ShooShooBaby said:
how weird that they include heels in the height! it sounds like that's what they mean though... otherwise why would they bring up the shoes at all? hmm...

I guess it does mean to add two inches, strange........... thanks for your thoughts.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Novella said:
ShooShooBaby's suggestion of looking for a short term/trial gym membership is a good one. I'm a gym membership kind of gal. If I make going to the gym part of my weekly routine I have no problem going. Once I get to the gym there's nothing to do there but exercise, but at home when I plan on exercising I often end up watching a movie or going online instead of exercising. It takes getting out to get me motivated. And I don't have a problem with being sweaty and in exercise clothes at the gym. Exercise equipment can take up a lot of room too. I move a lot and it's easier for me to just change gyms. Of course, I know people who are just the opposite and have no problem exercising at home, and actually prefer it.

I agree, I'm much more likely to exercise when I'm going to the gym, and it does become a routine. For example, I hadn't been for most of May because my work schedule changed and I had to work out at 7 pm rather than 10 pm and I hated it. I'm much happier going after 10 since there's much fewer people then. I went last night for the first time since the middle of May and I felt so good after exercising, I remembered why I did it in the first place. My June resolution is to do something active everyday, beit the gym, walking/running with the dog, or just popping in an exercise video. So far, so good.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ok, so i need some suggestions. what i'm asking for may not be in existence though!

i am looking for some sort of physical activity to tone my arms and abdomen, while not taking much energy from my legs. i bike a lot and walk constantly, so my legs and feet are usually too tired to do much more than transport me places. my arms, back, and tumm are another story altogether! i don't belong to a gym, and wouldn't go even if i did so that's out.

suggestions beyond "do 1000 crunches a day"??

anabolina

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
ok, so i need some suggestions. what i'm asking for may not be in existence though!

i am looking for some sort of physical activity to tone my arms and abdomen, while not taking much energy from my legs. i bike a lot and walk constantly, so my legs and feet are usually too tired to do much more than transport me places. my arms, back, and tumm are another story altogether! i don't belong to a gym, and wouldn't go even if i did so that's out.

suggestions beyond "do 1000 crunches a day"??

There are some great Pilates workout videos that focus on the torso and upper body, or so I've heard, I hate working the upper body and try to avoid it, all-to-successfully. You also might do some different types of crunches as the most effective ones are not necesarily the traditional crunch. Think the bycycle and side crunches. Now that I think about it, Tamilee's I want that body has a great section on the arms and abs. They're 10 min each I think, its been awhile, and they're pretty tough, like don't expect to finish it the first time tough.

Anyway, good luck!!!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I also use an abbreviated Pilates program that I picked up out of a ladies magazine some years back. Pilates does have a lot of exercises that focus on specific areas. You might find it useful ShooShoo Baby. You could consider borrowing a general guide from your local library.

Joie

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
One other bonus on Pilates I forgot, the original program was designed to require little to no equipment. You use your own body weight for resistance. They say it is good for sculpting long lean muscles. :)

Good luck!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:
One other bonus on Pilates I forgot, the original program was designed to require little to no equipment. You use your own body weight for resistance. They say it is good for sculpting long lean muscles. :)

Good luck!

this is good. i really don't want to look like a bodybuilder (although you should see my thighs - biking is making them HUGE! :rolleyes: )

anabolina

A-List Customer
I agree that pilates is great for helping develop lean muscles. I did one prgram for 3 weeks, every morning, and my legs never looked better til I got sick of doing the same program every day. Aren't libraries great ( I have to say this as a librarian and, well, as me lol) it took years til I figured out that the Dallas PL actually had some decent videos, just be careful of library video late charges, they add up quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley