Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Dean, I just altered a straw hat, using nothing but steam. I changed an Optimo style (with the center peaked ridge) into a standard porkpie. It came out great. Use a lot of steam, and work on a small area at a time.

They are more flexible than one assumes.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joel Tunnah said:
Dean, I just altered a straw hat, using nothing but steam. I changed an Optimo style (with the center peaked ridge) into a standard porkpie. It came out great. Use a lot of steam, and work on a small area at a time.

They are more flexible than one assumes.

Thank you, Joel.

dean

deanglen

Speedster said:
Hey this hat has seen more of the States than i have...

Speedster, the Lounge "covers" a lot of ground. Hey could you post a shot of you in full Rough Riders gear from head cover to booted toe? That would be cool.!:)

dean

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Speedster said:
Hey this hat has seen more of the States than i have...

Yes, speedster, your hat was once my hat. But it looks much better now - Dean did a great job. Looks like he softened it up quite a bit too. I love the bash.

Joel

deanglen

Joel Tunnah said:
Yes, speedster, your hat was once my hat. But it looks much better now - Dean did a great job. Looks like he softened it up quite a bit too. I love the bash.

Joel

I am so relieved you like how it looks, Joel. Steam works wonders.

dean

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
deanglen said:
HOW ARE STRAW HATS SHAPED AND CAN THEY BE CHANGED? Okay, I feel better now.
dean

Dean, I have shaped and reshaped a number of straw hats. Give the hat a soak in hot water, then form it into the desired shape. Let it air-dry in the hot sun, while keeping it supported in the shape you have formed.

One caveat, I have only done this with inexpensive straw/Panama hats; I'm not ready to try this with a Montecristi super fino Panama.

deanglen

Wolfmanjack said:
Dean, I have shaped and reshaped a number of straw hats. Give the hat a soak in hot water, then form it into the desired shape. Let it air-dry in the hot sun, while keeping it supported in the shape you have formed.

One caveat, I have only done this with inexpensive straw/Panama hats; I'm not ready to try this with a Montecristi super fino Panama.

Thanks! I don't blame you a bit on the Montechristi super fino Panama. I'm aiming for one of those straw cowboy hats on e-bay, they're pretty cheap and I think they would make a transition to campaign status, straw style!:)

dean

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
With milan, steam works really well, though you can work just with cold water as well.

Also, dean, i was bored last night, so I took a leather punch to the side of my "experimentation hat", the '80s stetson I've trimmed the brim and redone the ribbon on. It now has campaign hat style vents in the side.

deanglen

Dinerman said:
With milan, steam works really well, though you can work just with cold water as well.

Also, dean, i was bored last night, so I took a leather punch to the side of my "experimentation hat", the '80s stetson I've trimmed the brim and redone the ribbon on. It now has campaign hat style vents in the side.

Dinerman, did you really? Great! Can you post a shot? Did the process remove some felt so they don't just close up again? Love to see your handiwork!

dean

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Sounds Interesting

Dean: You can pick up a set of drive punches at Harbor Freight:mad: for a couple bucks just look at the sizes of hole they will punch to make sure there small or large enough. They will knock out a hole just like the big boys do. Only, one at a time tho. Stratton is still on the deck catching some rays.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
deanglen said:
I'm aiming for one of those straw cowboy hats on e-bay, they're pretty cheap and I think they would make a transition to campaign status, straw style!:)

dean

I think the hot water bath technique should work well on one of those straw cowboy hats on e-bay. I soak inside and out, but for just a few moments. the straw will turn soft and pliable quite quickly.

Here's a tip: Work some Lexol into the leather sweatband before you get it wet. Also, I put a strip of aluminum foil between the sweatband and the straw, to keep it from possibly staining the straw during blocking and drying.

I like to wear the hat for the last couple of hours before it is completely dry. This way, it conforms perfectly to my head shape and takes on just a bit of natural character.

One question: How do you plan to reduce the size of brim on the cowboy hat, in order to effect the transition to a narrower-brimmed campaign hat?

Keep us posted on your progress. I might try one of these myself, if I knew how to reduce the width of the brim.

deanglen

Wolfmanjack said:
I think the hot water bath technique should work well on one of those straw cowboy hats on e-bay. I soak inside and out, but for just a few moments. the straw will turn soft and pliable quite quickly.

Here's a tip: Work some Lexol into the leather sweatband before you get it wet. Also, I put a strip of aluminum foil between the sweatband and the straw, to keep it from possibly staining the straw during blocking and drying.

I like to wear the hat for the last couple of hours before it is completely dry. This way, it conforms perfectly to my head shape and takes on just a bit of natural character.

One question: How do you plan to reduce the size of brim on the cowboy hat, in order to effect the transition to a narrower-brimmed campaign hat?

Keep us posted on your progress. I might try one of these myself, if I knew how to reduce the width of the brim.

My first thought was to trim while rigid (dry) then crimp over about 1/4, let dry and stitch, or use my favorite adhesive to hold the edge, like the brim on my Borsalino straw. Better idea? I'm sure working with the material will determine how well that would work. I suppose it would depend on the nature
pf the straw hat.

dean

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
deanglen said:
Dinerman, did you really? Great! Can you post a shot? Did the process remove some felt so they don't just close up again? Love to see your handiwork!

dean

Yeah, I tried it with a nail first on one side, and the holes just closed right up. The leather punch actually removes the felt, and leaves nice neat little round holes.
I'd post pictures, but Right now, the hat's drying off. I put a curl into the edge of the brim using a garden hose and a pair of vicegrip pliers.

It also has a porkpie crown right now. As of right now, it's a prototype for a hat a friend wants. He's looking for something which resembles what Frank Lloyd Wright wore.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Pardon the ribbon. It was the only color ribbon I had laying around, and it's just a mock up, so it's put together with hot glue.
holes.jpg

holes
campaign.jpg

with other mods, still very wet, so the felt looks pretty bad. The brim is consistent, though. No weird waviness, and it's holding its shape.

deanglen

OUTSTANDING JOB! D-Man :eusa_clap Where did you get your pattern? It's perfect!! Can I get one of the leather punches at a store like "Michaels", big 'ol craft store type place? I need one!
How di you determine the size of punch, and size of your pattern? Terrific!

dean

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
As for the patterm, I just traced the cap off a tube of ink with a pencil, then drew in the lines and punched where the lines met the circles. I chose the smallest punch I had to do the holes. The punch is pretty old, I'm not sure where it came from. The punch looks like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe