Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
deanglen said:
Looks good, Vlad. Did you want to re-bash it? Some were worn just as your is.

dean

Not rebash it, just wear it. My pard's hardee hat after a couple campaign-style events is stained, a bit off uneven, etc. Honest wear will eventually give mine a "veteran" look as well.

Rooster

Practically Family
LOOK AT THIS MAGGOTS! In true DI style.....;)
I've worn this thing fishing for the past five years or so. The brim is picking up a little droop, which real DI's are mortified by.:eek:
I swear this thing is so hard a .45 acp would bounce off.lol
campaign.jpg
[/IMG]

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are some originals found on line...I won't say where ...for reference for those interested in "modding" a hat to "campaign-ness":eusa_doh: This is what keeps English a living language..

eddc_3.jpg

ed1e_3.jpg

ee87_3.jpg

f086_3.jpg

efe9_3.jpg

And... the western, alternate bash, alternate color. Every bit as good as the later putty colored sort.

c615_3.jpg

c6ae_3.jpg

c75f_3.jpg

c805_3.jpg

Notice: 1) The rather wide leather sweat bands.
2) How they look like cowboy hats, but not your typical cowboy hat
at the same time.
3) The lack of taper in the black one that should appeal to those
who consider taper a disease.

4) The black one looks like Vlad's.

dean

Rooster said:
LOOK AT THIS MAGGOTS! In true DI style.....;)
I've worn this thing fishing for the past five years or so. The brim is picking up a little droop, which real DI's are mortified by.:eek:
I swear this thing is so hard a .45 acp would bounce off.lol
campaign.jpg
[/IMG]
Some wheres floating around is a great photo of long suffering and well worn Campaign Hats used by the old DCM shooters. (Dept of Civilian Marksmanship which has a new name, I believe Civilian Marksmanship program?)

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Jerry Lee from What Price Glory.com has a New Zealand Lemon Squeezer for $65 and from what I understand they are pretty decent quality.

Speedster

Practically Family
Here's my application for the Campaign Hat Corps...

It's a funny thing, this Campaign hat. When i first started out in Cowboy Action Shooting 7 or 8 years ago i bought a part Rough Rider outfit (blue shirt and tan/brown trousers) but never considered getting the hat. Previously i always thought that their brims were too narrow.

But after Deanglens campaigning the hat style here with plenty of photos (old and new) it went to my "must have some day" list. That day came yesterday, when the hat arrived here from Deanglen (a very generous offer. Thanks very much Dean).

The hat has had its ribbon changed to a lighter colored 5/8" grosgrain, and larger and more accurate bow. The crown bash and brim curl has also been worked on to match period photos. All done by Deanglen.

So here we go:

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

And the last one... me wearing the hat and the Rough Rider shirt:

IMG_0335.jpg

deanglen

Joel Tunnah said:
Hmmm... looks mighty familiar. :rolleyes:

Yes, Joel. (He had everything but the hat. How could I not help a Fellow Lounger out, especially one whose tax and duty burden, shipping, would double the cost of getting a repro.;) I'll get another one some day.

dean

deanglen

If I got one of those straw campaign hats some state troopers wear, how would I reshape the crown to my favorite 'fore an aft' center crease? Steam?
Hot water? Anyone?

dean

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Whoah Big Fella

I've taken that dumb (IMHO) upturned brim in a straw, and steamed it to a slouch hat, BUT I've never tried taking a Montana Peak to anything else and while I think it could be done, I'm not quite ready for that. I'll settle for the standard "fore and aft" crease which Stratton put on my Sheriffs Hat. But, having said that, have at it and post pictures. By the way can I be granfathered in the Campaign Hat Corps. circa 1967? Also, my Stratton felt Sheriffs hat got wet last night after several days of sun. Care to watch paint dry, watch a Stratton being sun faded!!!

deanglen

Prairie Shade said:
I've taken that dumb (IMHO) upturned brim in a straw, and steamed it to a slouch hat, BUT I've never tried taking a Montana Peak to anything else and while I think it could be done, I'm not quite ready for that. I'll settle for the standard "fore and aft" crease which Stratton put on my Sheriffs Hat. But, having said that, have at it and post pictures. By the way can I be granfathered in the Campaign Hat Corps. circa 1967? Also, my Stratton felt Sheriffs hat got wet last night after several days of sun. Care to watch paint dry, watch a Stratton being sun faded!!!

No sweat, Prairie, you're in, grandfathered with certainty! So you don't think a re-shape of a montana peaked straw campaign hat is a good idea? H-m-m-m. A fellow don't know 'til he tries!:p

dean

up196

A-List Customer
Thanks for the photo enlargement!

I can tell you all about Krags, but I don't know squat when it comes to computers.
deanglen said:
up196, you're in! And that deserves a bigger photo!:
Dirty Billys? F. Burgess?
mvc001sol8.jpg

dean

It's a Burgess. The crossed sabers and "1" are from the stocks supplied to the movie Rough Riders.

We bought a Dirty Billys a while ago, but sent it back. I didn't feel that the quality justified the price.

deanglen

Prairie Shade said:
Go for it Deanglen, lets see what happens!!!
One catch, Prairie, I don't have one yet:eek: ...but if congress passes my latest spending request...well, it could happen! But the question remains, of how to do it.

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe