Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's a vintage one of mine (now). From the 1920s:

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Don't want to give too much away, but it might behoove some of you gents to check out eBay right now. There are *several* genuine 1920s cotton/linen newsboy caps buried in there. Excellent condition, and from a famous U.S. hat maker that we're all familiar with. One of the caps is a good medium size. Beauties both! Happy hunting...

High Pockets

Practically Family
Like Gene said, they certainly are,......but now you've got me digging like a maniac through listings by people who don't know the difference between an Ivy and a Newsboy,.....oughta be a law!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Thanks, Gene! And would you believe that there were a bunch more that sold on eBay last week ... with only 1 bidder? (Not me; didn't even know about them.)

Case in point: a vintage 1920s cream wool flannel cap in a size 7 1/4, sold at 'Abercrombie & Fitch'. Leather sweatband and satin silk lining. A great cap to wear with a blue blazer and white flannels. An eBay BIN sale for $50. Not cheap, but not expensive either for something like this. Check it out:

capp1.jpg

capp2.jpg

capp4.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hopefully Lou wouldn't get any of his hair dye on them. :rolleyes:

-----------------

Last time I was in Memphis I visited a retail hat store and the modern wool caps they were selling were priced at $75.00! Nothing special about them at all. To ask $50 - $80 for any of these vintage treasures, with their superior materials and workmanship, is reasonable to my way of thinking.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Below is yet another eBay auction that recently ended as a BIN: an unusual, late 1920s linen 'ventilated' model. The size? 7 1/2. Great condition. It went for $70.

(It's almost impossible to find vintage linen caps from the '20s: they just didn't last. Vintage wool caps are much more common.)

cappp1.jpg

cappp2.jpg

cappp5.jpg

cappp4.jpg

cappp3.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

And by the way...

I'm about to give away a secret. Gather 'round, gents. Here it is:

Vintage 1920s-'30s wool caps can be made larger VERY EASILY and without harming the caps' structural integrity. How much larger? A full 2 to 3 sizes. You read that right. Note that most wool caps from the '20s and '30s have partial leather sweatbands: those caps are the easiest ones to stretch. Caps with a full leather sweatband may need to have the sweatband's back seam opened before stretching. (Cotton/linen caps are another story. They don't stretch out nearly as well as the wool ones.)

I wear a small 7 3/8 these days and have stretched out a half dozen size 7 caps to my size, with no discernible ill effects. The caps look perfectly normal after stretching; even their proportions look fine. The threads haven't unraveled; the seams haven't popped. Hard to believe, but true. Best of all, the caps don't tend to shrink back down with time.

Obviously, you'll need a hat stretcher and a lot of steam to do it. It's not that hard.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'll take pics of the black & white cap when it arrives. It's a size 7, so I'll have to stretch it.

The before/after photos will end up looking nearly identical. Only the circumference of the cap's opening will appear (and will be, of course) a bit bigger.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
Don't want to give too much away, but it might behoove some of you gents to check out eBay right now. There are *several* genuine 1920s cotton/linen newsboy caps buried in there. Excellent condition, and from a famous U.S. hat maker that we're all familiar with. One of the caps is a good medium size. Beauties both! Happy hunting...

Aha! Someone just won one of the caps. Was it a Lounger? Hope so... http://cgi.ebay.com/B2168-VINTAGE-2...ries?hash=item518c11417f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg