Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to hats, would like some advice

Txmason

Familiar Face
@callmeacab

1. I would love to have a lightweight felt hat that I could wear now and through summer if possible. Where can I find a hat like that? How much are these hats? Can you help?

2. Where can I purchase an inexpensive straw?

3. I will certainly look at these brim widths

4. How does a short crown look on a big guy? Is a taller standard crown better for facial features?

5. The reason they said they could not refurbish my hat because When I called them they said they would clean the hat put on a new head band, crease, block and hopefully they could get it back to a good condition. So I sent them the hat a check for $80.00 and written instructions for how I hoped they could clean and reinsert the liner and make it look good. Two days later I got a call from them saying there had been a miscommunication and that they could not service my hat because it was cloth. I have no idea whether it is true or not. I believe I have a photo posted on here or if not I will gladly post one. Just let me know.

RBH

Bartender
Open_Road_25_02.jpg

I like that one.

RBH

Bartender
Hey guys I was so excited when I found this website! The reason for my post is quite simple; I am new to the world of fedoras and other dress hats and I love it that I can find inspiration and advice on here! I am a young man and am in my second year of teaching. So my wardrobe has changed considerably from wearing jeans and t-shirts every day in college to dressing professionally. I recently decided that I needed to add hats to my personal style because I love them and I feel that they bring a certain air of respect and sophistication to a person. I have always been a guy that wears a hat but usually it was a ballcap. I by no means can afford the high end fedoras that I have seen on this site but I feel I have a nice starter. I bought from an online vendor that I will not mention but it looks awesome! I think the problem I am having is simple. I have a stingy brimmed fedora that looks good with my suits and dress clothes but I just recently bought a pork pie hat that I simply can not figure out what to dress with it. As a general rule are pork pies more fit for the jean and button down shirt look? Any help would be appreciated and again thanks for adding me to the community!
Looking back in this thread... kinda cool to see how far you have come Teach!!
Your doing good Kid!!!!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
"New To Fedoras" is a good candidate for a sticky, I think.
Almost every day a thread is started along this line: "My new Fedora," "My First Fedora," etc.

It makes for a good deal of clutter.

RBH

Bartender
"New To Fedoras" is a good candidate for a sticky, I think.
Almost every day a thread is started along this line: "My new Fedora," "My First Fedora," etc.

It makes for a good deal of clutter.

Good point Randall, but even the sticky threads are not utilized much.

edit to add:

Randall I added a new to hats to the stickies.

If anyone has such a suggestion feel free to drop me a line and I will try and add threads as needed.

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
WELCOME to the Forum hatman, and I say this as being a rather newbie myself.

The example to which you have linked is of a Wool variety. This type of material while having it's proponents also has many detractors, myself included.

Wool hats tend to be "bottom layer" or unrefined, they being subject to much more shrinkage after becoming wet, can be heavy looking in construction, eg thicker material, and their texture is not as "close", whereas Fur Felted hats are generally just the opposite. Many more will comment below, but again, Welcome!

Regards,
-30-

Last edited:

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Hatmatt: Welcome to the lounge! You know, Akubra is a very respected hat company here on the forum, and they make a number of styles you might like. The best part is the hats are fur felt, and wear very nicely! Good luck anyway you go!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
If you decide to get an Akubra, I recommend ordering from Hats Direct. You will have to email back and forth to arrange shipping, because you are in China. But when I ordered from them, my hat arrived in Shanghai in just a couple of days.

Dr Mcgrat

New in Town
Could someone suggest a new hat for me to buy?

Hi All!

I'm looking to buy a new hat as a graduation present to myself.

I really like the Indy style hats but honestly I'm open to anything that catches my eye.

My price range is around £45-70 including delivery so I'm open to buying second hand too.

Realistically I'd love a Akubra Federation IV but the cost including delivery to the UK is far too much for me to spend as a student unless I can find one second hand.

So in a nutshell:

£70 budget including delivery to UK
Brown possibly Indy style hat
Preferably rabbit felt (would love beaver but out of my price range)
Size 60-61cm

Thanks for any help :)

job

One Too Many
For your size EBay is probably out. Try the classifieds section here also. I would suggest borrowing some money for the FedIV . Don't buy wool you'll just regret it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust