Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to hats, would like some advice

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I went with the grey because my stingy is black and my favorite suit is greyish silver so I wanted a hat to better go with that. I know this may seem off topic but I have seen a few felt hats in my range from Jaxon are those worth having? I know they will not compare to the best just curious if they are decent.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Working my way thru this thread, new to the Lounge. Hey Teach! I think the Porkpies look great on you, the proportions and shape really work well. They do lend themselves to a more casual style. A few years back I found three Porkpies at the salvation army for under ten bucks. And all my size!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I went with the grey because my stingy is black and my favorite suit is greyish silver so I wanted a hat to better go with that. I know this may seem off topic but I have seen a few felt hats in my range from Jaxon are those worth having? I know they will not compare to the best just curious if they are decent.

Jaxon makes both woolies and fur. Thatll be the main criterion for how good a particular hat is. From what Ive read, Jaxon's woolies are better than some others, but that and $2.25 will get you on the subway.

In my experience with western hats, crushable woolies, models with no wire in the brim, seem to hold their shape better than non-crushable. Ive worn these in the rain, and they hold their shape very well.

The prices for wool seem to be all over the place. One thing I have noticed is that wool hats are now sometimes graded with Xs, as fur western hats are. How does one know how many Xs to brand a wool hat with (no beaver content! heck, no fur content at all!), especially when the X system for westerns has gotten so out of hand?

If I were to buy a Jaxon and/or wool hat, I would look at VillageHatShop.com. They have lots of Jaxons, as well as many other brands, and a large selection in general. I bought a hat from them once and the experience was satisfactory.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I was wanting a felt Jaxon since they are the most affordable felts I have found. With that being said I have seen a few Stetsons around 100 dollars that may be worth saving for. I am addicted as one poster said. I have decided to sell my electric guitar to buy a few suits and hats, I guess fashion outwighed rockin lol

T Rick

Practically Family
I was wanting a felt Jaxon since they are the most affordable felts I have found. With that being said I have seen a few Stetsons around 100 dollars that may be worth saving for. I am addicted as one poster said. I have decided to sell my electric guitar to buy a few suits and hats, I guess fashion outwighed rockin lol
Welcome, and a bit more "opinion" if you can stand another. If money is tight (and when isn't it!), keep the Stetson Outlet Stores in mind. WAAY cheaper than retail (sometimes half) and generally good service. The downside of course is that they may or may not have what you want (color, size, etc.). Example, I just picked up a Stetson Nostalgia in Caribou from the Outlet in Garland Texas, delivered for about $110. That compares to online shops at about $160.

Whippets, I found the one in St. Jo prices them at $75 (plus shipping of around $10), nearly half. Only trouble is, they only have my size in black. They do have several others in my size I'm considering. The Garland store was also a bargain for Whippets (one Member here has just picked up two, Tawny Fawn and Caribou I think) at IIRC, around $100. This is still $50 or so better than most.

Last, consider keeping the guitar! They're great companions to have around, and even if you've not touched it in awhile, can be dearly missed when the urge strikes. Let a little time pass and build funds, there will still be plenty of hats and suits available! JMHO.

Here's a pic of my Nostalgia for reference, these come open crown, and it's my "new favorite hat" (had it only one day, we'll see if it holds that position as it settles in to the collection and others join it).

standard.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
It isn't likely they would put up a web site. They are a manufacturer and a web site with those prices would likely lose them a lot of dealers. Just call (972) 494-0337 and tell them what you want.

It isn't likely they would put up a web site. They are a manufacturer and a web site with those prices would likely lose them a lot of dealers. Just call (972) 494-0337 and tell them what you want.

The Resistol Factory Outlet store is like other factory outlet stores as they don't compete with the retail stores that sell their product. Typically, they sell seconds, returned or dead stock. They only have what they have & that's why you have to call to see if they have model, size & color you seek. They are careful not to anger their dealer network for sure...

T Rick

Practically Family
The number for the St. Joseph MS. outlet is 816-233-3286. While both factory outlets, you'll find prices and selection can vary quite a bit between the two. I'd suggest checking stock and price at both for whatever your selection is. I've talked to both, so far only bought from the Garland TX. store, but that will change soon.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Oh! you do have it bad!! Selling the guitar to support your new habit!!! I love it! You're on the right track and in the right place!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
OK I am confused about what the heck litefelt is would it be better than the 100 percent wool hats I own?

As far as I can tell, litefelt is just wool with a fancy treating/brand name. It is useful, and I really liked my Bailey Litefelt outback, but I would not buy another. For the same price range, a good fur felt hat can easily (well, with patience) be found on ebay, at least until we run out of old hats.

OK I am confused about what the heck litefelt is would it be better than the 100 percent wool hats I own?

Furfelt is in general better than wool felt. Furfelt hats can be steamed and reshaped, cleaned and reblocked and have a longer use life than wool felt. Wool felt will eventually lose its shape and if cleaned tends to not respond well.

Lite felt? I am not sure but fur felts do come in a variety of thicknesses and weights. If you get to see a lot of hats over time you will find that the weight and thickness of the furfelt varies per model and level of quality.

Txmason

Familiar Face
New to Hats

Howdy!

I have a question for you concerning hats since you are quite knowledgeable about hats. I have the hat that was given me by a friend. It is a grey/wool tribly hat that the inner lining says Adams Hats New York, New York *the hat *needs to have the lining replaced, cleaned etc. where is a good place to get that done? I found a place in college station called cattlena hatters that will completely clean and replace the lining for around $65.00 if I bring it to them. $85.00 if I ship it to them. It is only about an hour away.*

Also, what about wearing a hat like the fedora daily or are hats made to be worn with just suits? I think it is very stylish and would like to start wearing a hat everyday and would appreciate any advice you can give on the matter. What style of hat should I get? I can post a picture of the hat if needed. I also like how a Derby hat looks too. What kind of hat would you suggest for winter and then summer?*

Any help is appreciated!

Best,
Jerry*

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, Jerry! I visited College Station in the summer and fall of 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, and enjoyed it quite a bit. No, hats don't have to be worn only with suits, though some, like the homburg (think Michael Corleone in The Godfather), are rather formal. I wear my fedoras with button-down and point-collar shirts, sometimes with jeans and boots.

Have you considered the classic Open Road style? Sort of Western, without going full-court-press Tim McGraw:

OR_01.jpg

Open_Road_25_02.jpg

For summer in TX, you'll want to look into a straw hat. I'll let others here tell you about those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael