Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

TopSpin

New in Town
I never watched Star Trek growing up (I think I've seen one episode...), but I'm still going to see the movie because Simon Pegg is Scotty!

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Ethan Bentley said:
Where do you think this will lead? I mean, even before seeing the film, do you think this a direction that Star Trek will pursue maybe even with another TV series.
Purely speculative but what are your initial thoughts?

Depending on how well the film does (I think it will do quite well), one could expect several sequel films with this cast.

I don't expect ST to return to TV anytime soon. Despite the oft-discussed idea of a new animated series, I don't really see that happening either.

Anyone know how that animated Star Wars tv-show that I've never watched is doing?

NH

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Nighthawk said:
Anyone know how that animated Star Wars tv-show that I've never watched is doing?

NH

I've seen it a few times but have never really got into it, I like the films but the series just seemed something and nothing.

Wasn't there a Star Trek animated series before? With the Original cjaracters and maybe cast too?

Seem to me that various cult TV programs are often rumoured to have cartoon-spin offs, look at Buffy...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just caught the latest trailer and I hope I'm not getting over excited, but to me, this looks like the coolest movie to ever come out in my adult life. I'm going to allow myself to get carried away over this one.

The special effects look amazing, the casting looks perfect, the uniforms are correct, and it's good to see old friends back again.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Ethan Bentley said:
Where do you think this will lead? I mean, even before seeing the film, do you think this a direction that Star Trek will pursue maybe even with another TV series.
Purely speculative but what are your initial thoughts?

Well, ST:TMP wasnt really a hit, but it warranted a sequel. That Sequel, Wrath of Khan, was a HIT and I think its still Trek's most profitable movie cuz they had such a tight budget. So that success lead to TheNextGeneration.

But if they do another series, which direction would it take? And would it continue with new, young characters?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
I just caught the latest trailer and I hope I'm not getting over excited, but to me, this looks like the coolest movie to ever come out in my adult life. I'm going to allow myself to get carried away over this one.

The special effects look amazing, the casting looks perfect, the uniforms are correct, and it's good to see old friends back again.

Im optimistic about the young Spock, uncertain about young Kirk. And staying openminded til the movie premieres.

Its only the Director's second film, so I dont want to get all hyped up. But Mission Impossible III wasnt horrible, so theres that.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, its funny, Abbrams did FELICITY & then spun that off into ALIAS.
2312716648_6b37ce2073.jpg

Now he got to do MissionImpossibleIII because no sane director wanted to deal with TomCruise....and he had the spy action experience from ALIAS.
Now he's using his FELICITY skills to do the whole StarFleetAcademy angst thing.
He used Keri Russell in MI3, Im told he was trying to figure out a way for her to be a Klingon in Trek. I suppose its her long hair...

Hmm, seems she's not doing it:
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3688&Itemid=99

MAtt what do you think of the new trek costumes?
I'm dubious of the phaser....

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MrBern said:
Im optimistic about the young Spock, uncertain about young Kirk. And staying openminded til the movie premieres.

Its only the Director's second film, so I dont want to get all hyped up. But Mission Impossible III wasnt horrible, so theres that.
The young Spock is perfect, almost disturbingly so. He reminds me of Spock from "The Menagerie," the Captain Christopher Pike era Spock, which makes me wonder if they are going to ignore the entire Spock was loyal to his first captain (Pike) angle.

I do have faith in JJ Abrams, hopefully not misplaced. These legacy projects are important to the fans and if they get it wrong, if there is too much angst, too much back story, or too much of the wrong back story, the project could be a failure, though I don't think it will be.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
The young Spock is perfect, almost disturbingly so. He reminds me of Spock from "The Menagerie," the Captain Christopher Pike era Spock, which makes me wonder if they are going to ignore the entire Spock was loyal to his first captain (Pike) angle.
I think a lot of canon will be ignored especially since Nimoy is in the movie & Shatner is not....& there is apparently some timetravel going on that will no doubt explain the changes.
The original show never delved into Kirk's parents, tho the latest trailer explains this movie will.
And JJAbbrams is not on record as having been a trek fan and hasnt seen all the trek movies. He's a sci-fi fan, but not a trek fan.

At th very least, we should havea LOT to talk about once the movie premieres.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was wondering about the fact that Nimoy is playing the aged Spock, and since Vulcans live longer, he could be quite old. It made me wonder whether the film was going to be framed as a remembrance from Spock.

Sometimes a fresh perspective can add a lot to a franchise. Take the new Doctor Who for instance. My anticipation is brimming.

Queue

Familiar Face
MrBern said:
Hey, Matt, this is sure going to give the costumed fans a HUGE pain in the neck. Didn't the latest Superman movie costume do something similar?

That's kind of fun. I like these uniforms substantially better than the one's from TOS. Also, and hopefully not to jinx the whole thing, I am sort of liking to imagine a rebooted TOS (ignoring all the rubbish from Enterprise) with this cast. Highly unlikely, I know, but a sweet little dream.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
MrBern said:
Hey, Matt, this is sure going to give the costumed fans a HUGE pain in the neck. Didnt the latest Superman movie costume do somethign similar?
startreks012.jpg

That's not Starfleet insignia, that's The USS Enterprise Arrowhead. There is an earlier flaw in it's usage since Kirk's father has one on his uniform when the Kelvin is destroyed. Going to the original series, the emblems like the arrowhead were like mission patches at JPL or NASA. Each ship had it's own and base and station as well. To make it logical, they could say that the Enterprise took its emblem from Kelvin. Though now I'm speculating way too much from the little I've seen.

This film isn't canon and, the director went out of his way recently to explain unsuccessfully that it is by bringing up current quantum mechanics. They will have time travel in the movie though since we are dealing with modern knowledge on the concept of time travel... (meaning that you can't really travel in the fourth dimension and we are truly trapped in our times own movement). The time travelers are really going into another dimension which in no way effects what we know of Star Trek. This leaves the Dilemma of 'why call it time travel in the first place'? I'll wait to see the film. I just don't remember Kirk being a tall blue eyed thrill seeker. He was a book worm that smarted his way through the academy and earned his rank, he didn't assume command of the ship and keep it as the trailer seems to show. His father wasn't some hero Jim had to live up to, they never mentioned his father or his mother. We'll see.

The uniforms if they all have the Arrowhead on them are not sticking with historical continuity. Kirk being able to drive stick isn't either. But hey, maybe the death of his father the hero is the reason Kirk now can drive stick and has blue eyes.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I'm really not looking forward to this anymore, why can't they just leave TOS be? I liked it for what it was, a fairly cheesy sci-fi series that relied on formulaic stories with the occasional great one. I watched it for the characters and I think the actors did wonders with what they were given to work with, kinda the same reason I still like the old doctor who

This stems also from my intense hatred of sequels. I think they would have been better off with a canon TOS story about all the aged crew members that are still alive and have them train a new crew or something.

End of nerd rant, I apoligize

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
not your father's star trek....

bobalooba said:
I'm really not looking forward to this anymore, why can't they just leave TOS be? I liked it for what it was, a fairly cheesy sci-fi series that relied on formulaic stories with the occasional great one. I watched it for the characters and I think the actors did wonders with what they were given to work with, kinda the same reason I still like the old doctor who

This stems also from my intense hatred of sequels. I think they would have been better off with a canon TOS story about all the aged crew members that are still alive and have them train a new crew or something.

End of nerd rant, I apoligize

Rant away!
It would be nice if they did a little retro `60s style trek movie of mini-series. I dont believe the powers that be feel that it would make any real money.
Its a shame for the oldschool fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld