Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

Jovan

Suspended
What I've read was that it was simply lower cost, special effects wise, to do that and that it was much faster than always showing a shuttle departing to a planet -- thus, the story moves along faster and we get to the point. This limitation made it all the cooler when they actually needed to use shuttles to go to planet which had ion storms, etc. which made beaming impossible. Art indeed thrives on limitations.

Unfortunately, George Lucas doesn't seem to think that. What made the original movies so great was that the limitations placed on him back then, budgetary and state of special effects wise, made it seem much more visceral and real. In the new movies, they tend to show everything and leave nothing to imagination. Point in case: Anakin jumping in to save Kenobi in Episode II -- with a very phony looking CGI double cut in. Is it just me, or would this and other scenes with this problem benefit from not showing it at all sometimes? It would have worked much better, artistically, for the audience to suddenly see a green blade blocking Dooku's and be like, "What?" and then we see Anakin's face revealed. But I'm getting way too nerdy here.

Josephine

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Art indeed thrives on limitations.

:eek:fftopic: Jaws was all that more scary because we didn't see the shark very often (budget! :D)

I'm rather excited for XI, if they can keep continuity. Spock and Kirk at the Academy? Don't insult my intelligence.

Jovan

Suspended
I don't see continuity breaking with that... unless there's something I missed completely in the series. To me, it makes sense that these guys would already have so much camaraderie by the time Kirk captains the Enterprise in "WNMHGB" if they knew each other at the academy.

Josephine

One Too Many
Jovan said:
I don't see continuity breaking with that... unless there's something I missed completely in the series. To me, it makes sense that these guys would already have so much camaraderie by the time Kirk captains the Enterprise in "WNMHGB" if they knew each other at the academy.

Spock and Kirk weren't at the Academy together though. Kirk had never met Spock before he captained the Enterprise, as Spock was already serving under Pike. I suppose they could argue that Spock met Kirk somehow while Kirk was at the Academy, and have an adventure that way, but they were never classmates.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How long is Starfleet Acadamy?

For example, most of our WWII Generals and Admirals knew each other or of each other even if they weren't in the same class year.

Any standout, and Kirk certainly was, would have at least heard of another, and if they were in at the same time, even if not same year, probably would have met.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've been trying to stay out of this thread, but...

Spock is several years older than Kirk - they were not in the Academy together. (After all, when we first meet Kirk, he's the "youngest Starship captain in the fleet" at age 34. Spock, McCoy, and Scotty are all older than their captain.) The sense I've been getting is that the film won't be so much about their Academy days as earlier missions when they were young crewmen/ensigns. There's plenty of room for their meeting and becoming friends, even if, per existing canon, they didn't serve on the same ships as far as we know.

Of course, my primary expectation is that this film will respect canon only *slightly* more than the Enterprise series did! As an old-time Trekker, I am keeping my expectations as low as possible - this movie is essentially directed at my kids, not at me...

(Oh, and as far as the original series being "impoverished", you do know that it was the most expensive drama series in production at the time in its first couple of seasons, right? It may look low-rent today, but by the standards of the mid-60s [with competition like Gunsmoke, The Defenders, Ben Casey, Bonanza, Lost In Space, etc.] it was *stunning* - even on a b/w TV with fuzzy antenna reception!)

Addition: Checking a Trek timeline, it would appear that Spock may only have been a couple of years ahead of Kirk at the Academy - so maybe they did run each other as cadets. See around 2250 in:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/database/history3.htm

Viola

Call Me a Cab
*whispers* This is all incidental to my love for DS9.

Speaking of which? The Tribbles episode, with Dax? "I love this vintage stuff." lol

Josephine

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Of course, my primary expectation is that this film will respect canon only *slightly* more than the Enterprise series did!

My beloved Enterprise! But then again, I have been told I have no taste or standards whatsoever. :D

Josephine

One Too Many
I wonder if all officers had to go to the Academy? My father was in the Navy, and he didn't go to the Naval Academy. Perhaps Spock just went through a 'boot camp' and thence directly into Starfleet.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Theres lots of little inconsistencies & mixups in the original series.
And the original intentions of Roddenberry were sometimes amended for a really good script.
As I recall, initially it was intended that Spock was supposed to be a much older HalfAlien. I believe this concept was later put to use w/ Tuvok and T'Pol. Werent they both in their `60s or `80s?
The couldnt make Spock that old as in the second season, they had to show his human mom.
Same for the USSEnterprise. I believe the initial concept was that it was an older ship that had been under several captains.

Even the time period. First season, Kirk tells Khan he's been on the sleeper ship about 200 years, but really its closer to 300.

But thats the nice thing about trek, these littl details dont really matter. The silly go-go boots dont matter. Its all about the crew facing the future, come what may.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey, I didn't mean to come off so negatively - I'm willing to watch anything that's called "Star Trek"... except for those "remastered" TOS episodes.

Regarding "mistakes" in the 60s series, hey, cut them some slack: As far as they knew, they were making shows for one-time-only viewing, not something that would act as the basis for hundreds of hours of later shows/films and be studied obsessively 40 years later. They were killing themselves knocking out quality shows under tight time/budget contraints, not trying to establish a rock-solid continuity for future expansion. (But they still did pretty great in terms of in-show continuity, which is a testament to a lot of hard work rewriting the scripts by Roddenberry, Coon, Fontana, etc.)

And it's not like they had a hard chronology then: they didn't even narrow down the year beyond the 23rd century when they were making the show. (I believe that the original Star Trek concept treatment says something like, "200 or 300 years in the future - far enough for dazzling technological advances, but close enough for our astronauts to be recognizable as people like us.") Those dates in the 2260s for the Five year Mission were all nailed down much later, in the movie/TNG era. And setting Khan's Eugenics War in the 1990s seemed too impossibly far off to worry about when working on a show that was always in imminent danger of being cancelled!

Jovan

Suspended
Too true. Honestly, I ignore all those little mistakes. They're so trivial, really. Even in Star Trek II, which had the subtitle, "In the 23rd century..." Khan says, "200 years ago." lol As far as the 1990s goes, I'm just assuming it's a different history than OUR 1990s.

Now it would seem, Mr. Strange, that we're going to have to use some special methods of making you watch TOS Remastered...

14578__clockwork_l.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
NOOO... Not Ludwig Van - it's a sin!

(I saw A Clockwork Orange during its original theatrical run when it was rated X - I was only 16, but looked older, and I don't think the guy in the boxoffice cared. Especially since the film was doing lousy business with the X rating.)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Too true. Honestly, I ignore all those little mistakes. They're so trivial, really. Even in Star Trek II, which had the subtitle, "In the 23rd century..." Khan says, "200 years ago." lol As far as the 1990s goes, I'm just assuming it's a different history than OUR 1990s.

Now it would seem, Mr. Strange, that we're going to have to use some special methods of making you watch TOS Remastered...

14578__clockwork_l.jpg

Stop stealing my jokes, kid.
MrBern said:
Oh, a rumored photo of DoctorStrange watching Remastered Trek has appeared:

alex-clockwork-orange.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
SEPT15 Remastered eps new Season

In NYC as well as many other cities, the remastered eps air VERY late. Last sunday I think it aired at 3 am.
well it looks like the schedule is changing for many cities on SEPT 15 anD I am thrilled
New Schedule for trek

City Season 1..........................NEW Season 2
NYC WNBC Mon 2:35 am.........WWOR Sun 11:00pm
LA KNBC Mon 12:05 am........KTLA Sat 11:00pm
Chicago MeTV Sat 6:00 pm no change, but no Sunday repeat
Philadelphia WPSG Sun 10:00 am no change
Boston WNAC Sat 1:30 pm no change
San Francisco KBCW Sat 9:00 pm no change
Dallas KFWD Sun 9:00 pm no change
Wash. D.C. WDCA Sun 12:00 am no change
Atlanta WSB Sun 2:35 am no change
Houston KTRK Sat 11:35 pm KTBU Sat 9:00 pm
KBTV Sun 1:31 am no change

NEXT EP GALILEO SEVEN
Ep14_murasaki.jpg

G7shutquasar.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Galileo7

galileo_title_card.jpg

I caught a blooper last nite. As the disposible crew was climbing around on the paper mache' boulders after the crash landing, I noticed "MrGaetano" didnt look right. Then it hit me, he didnt have the pointy sideburns. Later in the ep, his space sideburns appear.
I love the episode, but it intrigues me that it couldve been filmed differently had they had the proper budget. Like if they had dumped teh ShuttleCraft at the outdoor location instead of the paper mache set.
And really, its probably the worst alien theyve EVER had.Those awful spears getting chucked from off camera.
But you have to love it for what it is.

Edward

Bartender
Qwkslvr said:
I'll have to check those out. I suppose the communicator is a bit big, but; it looks good I think.

When I last paid big attention to the merchandise available, back in the mid 90s, it was possible to buy a lapel pin in three sizes - one was the full size communicator (this was released before, but still available after, the plastic communicator pins that pinned on and made the noise when you tapped it), then there were two identical in design in other sizes. These were a half-size model, and one that was maybe only half an inch in diameter that would work really well as a subtle lapel pin. Of course, all of them would look good IMO - it all comes down to how subtle you want it to be. Back when I was still a Star Wars fan (I consdier myself an ex-Star Wars fan nowadays due to the severity of the negative impact upon my desire to rewatch or collect anything SW ever again following the "Special" Editions and the prequel trilogy) I used to wear a 7/8" diameter rebel alliance pin as a lapel badge on a daily basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally