Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

Doh!

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
Why are you watching Popeye on TV! It was created to be watched in a theater on a big screen. I can't believe you are disrespecting the creators intent by watching on such a small format. ;)

Well, who says I haven't seen 'em on the big screen? In fact, if they were projected in a theater tomorrow, I'd be first in line.

(Anyway, as Governor Tarkin* once said, "This bickering is pointless!")

*nerd alert

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
bickering? In space no one can hear u bicker!

I think calling `60s startrek fx state of the art is rather...inaccurate.
Its well documented the producers were pressed for both time & budget.
TAke the Doomsday MAchine image of the USSConstellation being destroyed. Thats not a state of the art model. It looks like a toy store model modified by a cigarette lighter. It was cheap but effective on an old tv screen. Perhaps not so on an HD screen.

I enjoyed watchign the remaster of that ep. In the `90s there were other CGI companies making propsals to Viacomm to update that episode. I'm glad to see that the update was finally made & by the Okudas who have overseen most of the trek franchise's design elements since the `80s. Theyve been quite committed to preserving the original aesthetic.

But I also appreciate that there are some who like to gaze upon trek as it was first presented.

No artistic reason to remaster?
With the Trek movies about to be reinvigorated w/ new actors playing the `60's characters, its quite efficient to Remaster the Original series.
Spock once made a glib comment about Bearskins & Stone knives.
A current audience would find the old effects hokey & primitive. The remasterings artistic result brings the FX visuals on par w/ the quality of the stories. The remastering has done very little to undermine the original `60s futuristic aesthetic.

And the best part is, it gives us an excuse to watch those old episodes again.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Sydney Tamiia Poitier

Sydney Poiter's daughter
Sydney Tamiia Poitier
the new Unhura?
e9a3db84.jpg

When asked about it, NichelleNichols pleaded ignorance but said it would be beautiful.

Jovan

Suspended
Certainly, you could dress up at a convention with it and not look like Jean-Luc Picard. lol Not that there's anything wrong with dressing as Trek characters...

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The original series did definitely have the cutest womens' uniforms. And those oh-so-practical spacefaring go-go boots.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
Don't forget how "sexist" those uniforms were... even though it was a perfectly acceptable and widespread style of the time. :rolleyes:

"Silly" maybe, from the standpoint of practical wearing-around uniforms, but so are the velour monstrosities the dudes were wearing.

The woman who played Uhura said she fought for shorter skirts, actually. They didn't go for that idea. lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Don't forget how "sexist" those uniforms were... even though it was a perfectly acceptable and widespread style of the time. :rolleyes:

yeah its a shame that they were always objectifying poor William Shatner's cleavage.
captain_kirk.jpg

shrinking his shirts every nite in the wash so more & more of his forearm was bared.
kirk_200.jpg

I bet it made him want to strangle someone
304324409_80214d4540.jpg

or maybe I'm jsut imagining it?
218647799_94a3955448.jpg

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Poverty Row...

MrBern said:
I think calling `60s startrek fx state of the art is rather...inaccurate.
Its well documented the producers were pressed for both time & budget.
TAke the Doomsday MAchine image of the USSConstellation being destroyed. Thats not a state of the art model. It looks like a toy store model modified by a cigarette lighter. It was cheap but effective on an old tv screen. Perhaps not so on an HD screen.

I enjoyed watchign the remaster of that ep. In the `90s there were other CGI companies making propsals to Viacomm to update that episode. I'm glad to see that the update was finally made & by the Okudas who have overseen most of the trek franchise's design elements since the `80s. Theyve been quite committed to preserving the original aesthetic.

But I also appreciate that there are some who like to gaze upon trek as it was first presented.

No artistic reason to remaster?
With the Trek movies about to be reinvigorated w/ new actors playing the `60's characters, its quite efficient to Remaster the Original series.
Spock once made a glib comment about Bearskins & Stone knives.
A current audience would find the old effects hokey & primitive. The remasterings artistic result brings the FX visuals on par w/ the quality of the stories. The remastering has done very little to undermine the original `60s futuristic aesthetic.

And the best part is, it gives us an excuse to watch those old episodes again.

Star Trek was indeed an impoverished production. I was watching some sort of nostalgia program regarding the series. They had said the reason the Transporter was invented was because their shuttle models weren't complete, so they had no way of showing the characters going to and from planets. Presto, teleportation to the rescue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally