Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member needs help please

Guven

New in Town
Hello...this is my first post and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this hat (see pics). I think is a long haired felt fedora (maybe rabbit) and I am guessing maybe German...1930's or 40's..? The felt material looks fur on the outside-just plain black on the inside-no liner. There is a black leather headband on the inside. On the headband it only says "seal extra" which I assume is a reference to type of felt finish used. The only other marking are the initials of the original owner JH-Also, there is a tag on the inside which has 58 printed on it-which is the hat size in cm (and fits me just right). There are some other numbers which I cannot decipher. I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying where this hat came form/the materials used and how old it is. Basically, anything anyone might know about it. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20240804_182947.jpg
    20240804_182947.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
  • 20240804_182958.jpg
    20240804_182958.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
  • 20240804_183007.jpg
    20240804_183007.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 20240804_183013.jpg
    20240804_183013.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
  • 20240804_183018.jpg
    20240804_183018.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
  • 20240804_183030 (2).jpg
    20240804_183030 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I would call that a trilby but who cares ? :D Remember, the following is just an opinion.
The rather cheap looking sweatband & ribbon do suggest a modern hat. Judging by the loose hairs on the inside, it does appear to have at least some fur content, so let's say fur felt or a wool/fur blend.
If I were to take a guess.... I'd say this is one of those anonymous hats, pumped out in China or Eastern Europe & sold through various online hat sites under different names.
The 'seal extra' is very apt though, it really does resemble the coat of a grey seal.
All that matters is that you like the hat, so enjoy.

Guven

New in Town
Thanks for the input...it is very difficult to judge quality based on a few pictures...but it really does feel like a nice vintage hat. The initials suggest it was well-loved...the use of a two color mélange felt and details such as the bound outer rim which is the same material as the grosgrain ribbon itself is attention to detail that I don't think you would find in a modern hat let alone one that is made in China. The term "seal" is not even used anymore to refer to felt finishes-it is rather an obscure term in relation to hats that I have only seen in use a few times in even in the fedora lounge. So agree to disagree. Maybe some others can give their 2 cents?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm not the expert on European hats, but I don't think this is wool or modern. Those long hair finishes are usually rabbit felt, IIRC and we don't see them like this anymore with such a melange of colors. Black sweatband on US hats was common in the 60s/70s, though not sure about Europe. Stamped numbers on the tag (as opposed to printed), also suggest older. As do the punched initials, I haven't seen that on modern production hats other than a few one off examples (e.g. celebrities when they visit the Stetson factory). It also doesn't look like a blocked in crease. Doubtful that it's old as the 30's or 40's, I'm guessing post war. I wouldn't read matching binding as indicative of any particular vintage.

You might be able to piece together some clues if you spend some time in the German and Austrian hutmachers thread.

Guven

New in Town
Thank you for your reply and suggestion-They bear out my hunch that this an older hat (but maybe not as old as I initially thought) and perhaps a bit of a unique one at that. I shall check out that thread and try to get a little more information. In the meanwhile, I look forward to any other comments and insights. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads