Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Art Fawcett custom creation

Feraud

Bartender
raycharles said:
If my assumption is correct, that the satisfied customer and Art do not live in the same city and that they did not meet in person, Art, how did you make that hat fit so well?

I guess my question is about how to accomplish a fine fit.

Very nice hat that was made for the person who bought it. It's like a sculpture.

Nice autograph as well !

Ray
Mr. Fawcett will correct me if I am wrong but I believe he sends his clients a conformer to measure their heads.

Cruiser- the first picture you posted of yourself wearing the hat and suit should be your avatar! It's classy all the way.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Gentlemen-I do believe we are in the company of a true gentleman, that rare
breed so seldom seen, with the foresight to forge for himself a persona, rather than follow the pack- the hat, the suit- front row seats, every time. Wow.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Gents

I'm only the worker bee here. Cruiser knew what he wanted and it was a simple matter of giving it to him. As in his first post, Eddie G style with Sefton colors ( though not exactly the same ribbon) made the mental picture pretty clear.
Ray, Feraud was correct. The first step in the process is to send you a conformer that not only gives me your size, but also your head shape. Everyone is different and thats the only way to make a truly bespoke hat.

Thank you Cruiser for the post & enjoy. It looks great on you!!!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I got here late,but agree with the others;the hat looks great on you! I see by the third picture that you couldn't resist adding a bit of a pinch. I did the same on mine. In addition I have rather deep side dents. However you end up shaping your custom hat from Art, you'll have something that will get a lot of (positive) attention. Congratulations!

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
WEEGEE said:
Cruiser,

That hat looks great on you!!!

Sefton said:
I got here late,but agree with the others;the hat looks great on you! I see by the third picture that you couldn't resist adding a bit of a pinch. I did the same on mine. In addition I have rather deep side dents. However you end up shaping your custom hat from Art, you'll have something that will get a lot of (positive) attention. Congratulations!

Thanks, Weegee and Sefton--of course, your two hats were the inspiration for this one, so many thanks for your excellent taste! Sefton, I just can't decide, pinch or no pinch. I also have experimented with brim snap--none, just a little, a lot. So many ways to wear this hat.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Joel Tunnah said:
Actually if you look at fedoras from the teens and twenties, you often see tall crown, short brim.

Good point, Joel. The Sefton hat was as you describe (narrower brim), and I asked Art to increase it to match the Eddie G. The Eddie G was based on a late 20's/early 30's hat, but the measurements were increased by Art (or maybe Weegee, I'm not sure) to approximately the same as what ended up in my hat.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cruiser said:
Thanks, Weegee and Sefton--of course, your two hats were the inspiration for this one, so many thanks for your excellent taste! Sefton, I just can't decide, pinch or no pinch. I also have experimented with brim snap--none, just a little, a lot. So many ways to wear this hat.

A little more pinch. Some, at least. IMHO:)

dean

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Again Great Hat !!!

Cruiser
The Eddie G was based on a late 20's/early 30's hat, but the measurements were increased by Art (or maybe Weegee, I'm not sure) to approximately the same as what ended up in my hat.
"Eddie G" was all Art

Manny Tavares

Familiar Face
This is what I was trying to describe in another thread, what color hat to wear with which suit? The colors aren't an exact "match" of colors but rather a match in the sense of complimenting both the hat and the suit. What is the color of the hat?

Manny

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Manny Tavares said:
This is what I was trying to describe in another thread, what color hat to wear with which suit? The colors aren't an exact "match" of colors but rather a match in the sense of complimenting both the hat and the suit. What is the color of the hat?

Manny

Thanks, Manny. The color of the felt is I believe called Granite, and to my eye it is a medium gray. The flash lightens it somewhat. The ribbon is dark blue, not a true navy blue but lighter and brighter. When I ordered this hat, I had this blue suit in mind, but more than that, I wanted a gray hat with dark blue ribbon in my wardrobe, because I believed it would be really versatile (with a lot of different colored clothes). To my way of thinking, this is a dress hat, as compared to some of my favorite hats with very thin ribbons, like Open Roads, that I consider more informal and more all-purpose. I am still a relative novice with hats, though, so if others have a different perspective, I would be glad to see their thoughts.

Wild Root

Gone Home
IMG_2313.jpg

Hey, I've got 1933 on the phone and they say... That's the Berries!;)

Now, being an early 30's hat lover, the tall crown and ribbon is perfect! It's a very nice hat and I love the profile! I've seen them worn with dents or without... it really depends on the individual's personal taste! Either with or without, there's no doubt, a tall crown is what it's all about! ;)

=WR=

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
It's aka the cop in "The Thin Man" but lighter. Not Nick Charles...his were more foppish...the police detective had one like this only very dark. But whomever it is reminiscent of - it's killer! A total winner. I've been conversing with Art for a few days, and this item is much like what I want. The ideal item is about half way from yours to the one my avitar wears (Detective from Dark City).

I'm copying these shots of Art's work for use in "the process." Nice gallery. :cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe