Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myths of the Golden Era -- Exploded!

Edward! I thought it was only myself and my daughter who held that heretical view! The issue about the use of the word 'band' might cause some problems, but when it comes down to pure pop songs, the Monkees win. My daughter has played 'I Will' by Unit 4+2 to her friends , claiming it to be scientific proof that the Beatles were no good (on the grounds that 'I Will' was also recorded in the sixties and has a very strong beat, unlike any Beatles records. Thus the reason for the weakness of the beat on Beatles records was not because the recording equipment was not good enough, but simply because they were rubbish).

My least favourite place in the whole of London is Abbey Road. Every time i drive down there I find some tourists on the zebra crossing, recreating the album cover. I only ever use that route as a short cut, so i don't like seeing people posing for photographs in the middle of the road. Last time, it was two teenage girls doing cartwheels. I shouted out 'Just cross the ******** road!' Only to see that someone was filming them.

:rofl:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I care for neither band, for do not like electric guitar based pop, but would ask whether the Monkees would have existed had there been no Beatles.

This was a given from the moment the Monkees entered the mainstream consciousness in 1966. I acknowledge it but do not apologize for my fondness for them.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I too was raised in the South. I had ancestors on my mother's side who lived and fought in an Alabama unit. On my father's side, I have two relatives, one fought for the 5th Tx Calvary, and another who was with Gen. Hood. They were brothers, and their sister married a man by the family name of Carter who spent time in a Yankee prison camp. Had other direct relatives who fought for the South on my father's mother's side. All the family were basically poor share-croppers.

I live in Minnesota now, and if I tell people about it, they think I'm a racist. I'm proud of them and what they went through and the courage they showed in standing up for States Rights. It takes a LOT of courage to stand in a line shoulder to shoulder and shoot across a field at the enemy while they shoot back at you.

Hey, SGT. I agree with honoring those on either side who showed heroism for their cause, and that racism need not be a factor in doing so. Regarding the idea of standing up for states rights, though, that position has been shown by historians to be untenable. Confederate states did claim the right to secede, but no state claimed to be seceding for that right. In fact, Confederates had actually opposed states' rights - that is, the right of Northern states not to support slavery. Additionally, in the years just preceding the Civil War, southern politicians often appealed to the federal government in attempts to continue and extend slavery. It was only after Lincoln was elected that the South started to employ the rationale of "standing up" for state’s rights.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
"Thus the reason for the weakness of the beat on Beatles records was not because the recording equipment was not good enough, but simply because they were rubbish)."

Reporter: Would you say Ringo is the best drummer in the world?

John: He isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

And John was known for being a jokester...In reality, Ringo replaced Pete Best because the former was recognized as one of the best drummers in the area. When Ringo left Rory and the Hurricanes, Rory Storm was quite unhappy to lose him. Check out Ringo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWdqh2PPvTI And listen to what drumming legend Don Mulvaney has to say about Ringo's abilities as a drummer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AGPm_-DtEQ

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You do know that there is an artist called Peaches, right?

Peaches Browning?

peaches2.gif

p51

One Too Many
Whenever I hear people talk about the common perception of Lincoln today, I tell them go look up what he really thought about the slaves and how he stomped on all kinds of rights at the time. I've had plenty of people come back and say, "I never realized that."
I live in Minnesota now, and if I tell people about it, they think I'm a racist. I'm proud of them and what they went through and the courage they showed in standing up for States Rights. It takes a LOT of courage to stand in a line shoulder to shoulder and shoot across a field at the enemy while they shoot back at you.
Tell me about it. I live the PC bastion of the Puget Sound area of WA state. In many people's minds, I'm about as evil as a concentration camp guard simply by being born.
I like what my dad said once, along the lines of how impressed he was with the concept that "a bunch of farmers came this close to wiping out the largest Army on this side fo the world."
Ironically, when I went through ROTC to become an Army officer, it bugged me that I was joining a branch that fought the confederacy (Dad served in the USAF in the 50s because that branch didn't fight the Confederacy... HONEST!), but thought it cool that my ROTC unit actually had a battle streamer for fighting Union Forces late in the war.
I grew up doing civil war re-enacting, so the CSA flag doesn't carry the stigma to me it does for others. Mt late uncle told me as a kid about him talking with my great-great grandfather who'd fought with the CSA in the war and lived into the 1930s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82