Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Open Road Hat

Hat Collector 27

New in Town
Hi,
I just got a new Open Road hat for my 27th birthday, little early, my b-day isn't till nov. but anyway. What is the best way to wear the OpenRoad hat? With the brim up or down? On the show In The Heat Of The Night, Carroll O'Connor, wears it with the brim up, other shows I've seen with the brim down. What is the best way, or most stylish.?

tomb1013

One of the Regulars
I snap the front brim down and leave the back snaped up. -Tom
DSC_1873.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi,
I just got a new Open Road hat for my 27th birthday, little early, my b-day isn't till nov. but anyway. What is the best way to wear the OpenRoad hat? With the brim up or down? On the show In The Heat Of The Night, Carroll O'Connor, wears it with the brim up, other shows I've seen with the brim down. What is the best way, or most stylish.?

I wear mine w/ the brim snapped down- always. Otherwise I look like Goober.

Older ORs (and other similar styles- e.g.- Borsalino Alessandria ), without as much stiffener & finer felt than those of current manufacture, can be recreased daily as your mood dictates. I keep many of mine (the felts) in teardrop fedora configuration.

The straw usually will not re-form as readily so I'll keep those in an Alpine or Cattleman's crease, still snapped down in front, or down in both front & rear.

Welcome to TFL! And to you as well Mr. Tom! :cheers1: Cheers!

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
I wear mine with a curl in the brim for the ones with a cattleman's crease and snapped down for the ones that have a c crown. Enjoy the new OR! Great hat with tons of history!

tealseal

A-List Customer
The absolute best way to wear a hat is the way that makes YOU feel the best. Nobody else matters; if you wear it the way that makes you feel good, you'll wear it with confidence and therefore you'll look good to everyone else.

I have a modern open road. It's stiff, but I frequently am told that it looks awesome. I'm sure you can find pictures of it somewhere on the Lounge. Essentially, I have a sharp cup on the back and sides and a snap down in front, with the cattleman's crease. My brim cup is much more distinct than tomb's.
Snapped up is how many presidential and rancher types have historically worn the hat. However, snapped up brims don't work for my face.

Since hats are so awesome, and so rare to see in the general public, all you need to do is rock it like you own it, and nobody will ever care if it's "proper." For your own conscience, wear it so it works.

Welcome to the Lounge! The source for more hat knowledge than you ever bargained for.
-TS

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
The absolute best way to wear a hat is the way that makes YOU feel the best. Nobody else matters; if you wear it the way that makes you feel good, you'll wear it with confidence and therefore you'll look good to everyone else.

I have a modern open road. It's stiff, but I frequently am told that it looks awesome. I'm sure you can find pictures of it somewhere on the Lounge. Essentially, I have a sharp cup on the back and sides and a snap down in front, with the cattleman's crease. My brim cup is much more distinct than tomb's.
Snapped up is how many presidential and rancher types have historically worn the hat. However, snapped up brims don't work for my face.

Since hats are so awesome, and so rare to see in the general public, all you need to do is rock it like you own it, and nobody will ever care if it's "proper." For your own conscience, wear it so it works.

Welcome to the Lounge! The source for more hat knowledge than you ever bargained for.
-TS
Old thread but timeless advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tex rider