Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More and more Men wearing Vintage?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
So I saw the posting that Lady Day had posted and it had me wondering...what about the men? So what about it? I've seen alot of men in San Francisco either dressing full vintage or with vintage influences. So what have you seen?

Jon

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I saw a full vintage thirty-something at a bus stop in Denver a few weeks back. I nearly wrecked my car staring. If I didn't have someplace I had to be I would've stopped to flirt.

It shows how rare the occasion though. Even the swing dancing crowd dresses down. I miss the Bay Area.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, I have to differentiate between "dressing vintage" and "wearing old clothes." I have never seen a guy around here who actually and specifically dresses all-out vintage, much to my eternal disappointment. Believe me, I've looked.

On the other hand, you'll occasionally see young guys wearing random bits of vintage -- old topcoats and raincoats show up fairly often, but I think that's just a matter of what they were able to score at Goodwill than any attempt at creating a vintage effect. If they're trying to look like anyone in particular, I think it might be Kramer.

There is one guy in town, who I often see when I go down in the morning to get my paper -- an older guy, a lawyer -- who *always* wears a hat, suit, and tie. In the summer he wears those casual straw hats that always make me think of Bing Crosby, and in the winter he can be seen in a Homburg. His suits and ties tend to be 60s or 70s vintage -- which leads me to think he's not so much a vintage buff as he is a guy who hasn't shopped for clothes since the local men's store went out of business.

But I always smile and say "hi" when I see him. Around here the sight of a man in a suit and tie is all too rare.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
West Coast vs East Coast

FedoraGent, its nice to see that there is a definite vintage scene on the West Coast, clothes, events etc.. Around Wash. D.C. forget it ZIP nothing :rage:

SC [huh]

PS Go to some concert around her in vintage which I have & you would
think the Martians had just landed from the looks I get. UGH!!! :(

Barry

Practically Family
Solid Citizen said:

That's the truth. Even with a fedora, blazer and spectators I tend to stand out in this town.

Barry

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gee, all men dress in full vintage to dance around for my delight . . . mmmmm heaven on earth? :rolleyes:

Alas, dudes in the citay, I have not seen decked out. Believe-you-me, I would stare, stare often, and with much MUCH satisfaction . . .

Okay, Im back now.

LD

To the nines, I tell you!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
On Second Thought

Lady Day & Barry,

People dress up for work in Wash. D.C. , but its "work uniform" lol
dress. But then how about:

1. Weddings

2. Religious Services

3. Steeplchase Horse Races (got a lot of those around here)

Guess its time to put on my "dress t-shirt for a "fashion statement" @ Seven/11
lol

SC :eek:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I never see anyone wear vintage (clothes that are 50 + years old) on an average... I do spy a nice vintage hat on a random guy now and a gain... it's nice to see a good hat being worn by some one I don't know. I know most guys and gals in the vintage scene here so, I wouldn't count them on the list.

During the week, there is two guys that pass by the store window walking down to the burger stand on the corner... one is tall the other is short... the shorter man is wearing a brown fedora! I'm almost sure it's a vintage one... he wears a nice button shirt and a pair of trousers but, I wouldn't say he's trying to portray any time period though. I always want to talk to the guy to chat about hats... I might stop him next time I see him... maybe tell him about the Lounge.

When ever I'm at a dance and if I see some one I don't know wearing full vintage (male or female) if it's a he, I'll talk clothes with them... if it's a she, I'll ask her for a dance! Then, talk clotheslol

=WR=

Rosie

One Too Many
I never see guys dressed in vintage. I do sometimes see men dressed well, suit, cufflinks, tie bar sans the hat but not portraying any time period. I see older men suited up with the hat but like Lizzie said, I think it's more they haven't bought any new clothes than they are *trying* to dress in a certain time period.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wild Root said:
During the week, there is two guys that pass by the store window walking down to the burger stand on the corner... =WR=

I just had to say, that the greatest sentence Ive hear in a while. HA!

LD

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Solid Citizen said:
FedoraGent, its nice to see that there is a definite vintage scene on the West Coast, clothes, events etc.. Around Wash. D.C. forget it ZIP nothing :rage:

SC [huh]

Nothing up here in Frederick, either.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Solid Citizen said:

SC [huh]

Man, that bites.

Jon

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Gee, all men dress in full vintage to dance around for my delight . . . mmmmm heaven on earth? :rolleyes:

Alas, dudes in the citay, I have not seen decked out. Believe-you-me, I would stare, stare often, and with much MUCH satisfaction . . .

Okay, Im back now.

LD

To the nines, I tell you!

Lady Day,

North Beach and The Haight...I see it ALL THE TIME. Never downtown, never in the Richmond or Sunset...NEVER in da 'Loin. Sometimes in the Mission or Marina but REALLY rare. Noe, once and Pac Heights ALOT.

Now that I think about it...wait, Mr. Lucky works downtown so I've seen him come out of the Flood full vintage.

Jon

Haversack

One Too Many
Well the other day I had jury duty and noticed that although they were not conciously dressing vintage, several lawyer types inhabitting the hallways were definitely dressed sharper than the average businessman. I counted 4 double-breasted suits and one three-piece linen suit. All had well-polished shoes and two of the DBs flourished pocket squares. Being indoors, I saw no hats.

I have to find the bit from one of Herb Caen's books where he stopped consciously dressing vintage sometime in the late 1950s. My wife has most of his books.

Haversack.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
FedoraGent said:
Lady Day,

North Beach and The Haight...I see it ALL THE TIME. Never downtown, never in the Richmond or Sunset...NEVER in da 'Loin. Sometimes in the Mission or Marina but REALLY rare. Noe, once and Pac Heights ALOT.

Now that I think about it...wait, Mr. Lucky works downtown so I've seen him come out of the Flood full vintage.

Jon
Well, you're just not in the Richmond or Sunset districts at the right time!. I am sometimes spotted going to or from my job in Golden Gate Park wearing vintage. Lately because of the horrid hot weather it would be;30s silk or linen tie with white shirt.Collar bar and tie clip.Linen trousers and saddle shoes. On top a linen 8 panel cap and my 40s windows (eyeglasses). :) When this dreadful (do you think I dislike the heat?) weather subsides I'm going to break out my DB pinstripe blue suit. Hopefully I'll soon also have a new fedora courtesy of the skilled hands of Mr.Art Fawcett!

I wouldn't feel too safe wearing anything to nice in "da loin". It can be a little sketchy there...

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Da' Loin.

Sefton said:
Well, you're just not in the Richmond or Sunset districts at the right time!. I am sometimes spotted going to or from my job in Golden Gate Park wearing vintage. Lately because of the horrid hot weather it would be;30s silk or linen tie with white shirt.Collar bar and tie clip.Linen trousers and saddle shoes. On top a linen 8 panel cap and my 40s windows (eyeglasses). :) When this dreadful (do you think I dislike the heat?) weather subsides I'm going to break out my DB pinstripe blue suit. Hopefully I'll soon also have a new fedora courtesy of the skilled hands of Mr.Art Fawcett!

I wouldn't feel too safe wearing anything to nice in "da loin". It can be a little sketchy there...

Well, as Lady Day once said...the neighborhood isn't THAT bad. It depends on where you go.

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley