Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN of the LOUNGE

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Pip said:
Well, here is the photo for today :)

The uniform is that of the French Air Force. This particular one was made in the late 1930's by a Parisian tailor. Quite a nice example due to the fact that its the Officers pattern/cut but for a senior NCO (who often took a slight flare and used Officers designs). The metal insignia is however from a Paris Jewllers.

Due to the size of the French Air Force, and the occupation of France from 1940-44, its quite possibly the rarest piece in my collection, and my personal favourite.

I do however need to have the waist tailored slightly, to give a more tailored/pinched waist/taper to the tunic :)

Please excuse the slightly manic grin :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

FAFL091.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Pip, you never stop to amaze us all. Just how many uniforms do you have in that closet of yours?
BtW. I have allways found the french airforce uniform very stylish too - almost nowadays civilian airline like.
You wear it well, mate!

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Supporting a Royal Artillery charity event...

... as a WWII Sergeant Photographer with my AFPU display. Green British Army Commando beret, Royal Engineers cap badge, AFPU insignia on paratrooper's Denison smock. Underneath, standard battledress uniform with boots. Webley .38 wartime issue revolver at the ready in case the Hun should turn up!

The movie camera I'm holding was used to film radar installations during the war and spent much time hanging out of the nose of a Supermarine Walrus amphibious biplane.

afpu1.jpg

PSK123

A-List Customer
Ooh, fantastic to read about the camera Twogunbob, have to have a chat about it at SVR? As exceptionally interested in the photo-reconnaissance flights etc :)

Spitfire - how many uniforms...good question, around 28 now. Although some are the same albeit with different insignia etc.

You're right about the FAFL uniform being exceptionally stylish, when it was first designed it revolved principally around high-street fashion and I believe various French designers were involved in the design of it!

Now, photo time...

Unfortunately it hasn't stopped raining today, so I've been unable to get a new photo (still a few more to come tomorrow and over the weekend though) so I've dug out this one from last September.

Portaying a 1930's RAF test-pilot at the "Goodwood Revival", a hugeeee vintage event. Its really quite fabulous. The uniform is the standard RAF SD uniform (from previous photos) with a 1930's white cotton flying suit (based off those used in motor racing during the 20's and 30's) over the top, to protect the uniform from oil and damage. The grey vest being worn is the 1932 Life Preserver otherwise known as a "Mae West".

The aircraft is a Hawker Hurricane Mk XII, this particular one sadly crashed a fortnight after this photo was taken, killing its pilot Brian Brown :(

Goodwood083-1.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
6-11-08.jpg

Give y'all your dose of ugly for the day, posted in what are you wearing today so I'll put it here too. No whiskers, whacked those last night, one small nick due to the fact that low blood sugar and straight razors don't mix well.

freebird

Practically Family
zaika said:
FREEBIRD!!! the glorious 'stache...it's *sniff* gone!

lol lol

you look great!

Thank you, but don't worry, it'll be back in about 6 months or so. ;)
Had an appointment with some ladies for training on my new insulin pump, so I decided to dress up a tad. Not sure why I decided to whack off the stache, it was a spur of the moment decision.

PSK123

A-List Customer
alexandra said:
D:

How depressing!

Incredibly, felt so surreal hearing it on the radio :(

Todays photo:

Yet again, Free French Air Force, although this is the flying uniform circa 1944. The one photo demonstrates more or less full flying kit for a those in figher squadrons (very warm)...the oxygen mask (E*), Life Preserver (early '41 model), flying helmet and earphones (C type) and flying boots (1936 pattern). Ooh and my good luck teddybear 'Jimmy' (after Jimmy Stewart) lol

fafl3003.jpg

fafl3010.jpg
fafl3092-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe