Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

jdouglasj

Familiar Face
With all due respect, I disagree. Hats, eyeglasses, any other item of clothing, car, motorcycle, the "right" girl or guy, food, art, etc., it doesn't really matter. If YOU like something, to hell with what everyone else thinks--wear it, eat it, hang it on a wall in your home, drive it, ride it, date it, marry it, whatever. The only opinion that truly matters in such things is YOURS, because if you constantly allow other people to change your opinions about everything you'll never get to know yourself.
I disagree that you are disagreeing. I too don’t care what other people think but as I said in my post, I purchased a number of hats that I thought looked fine but over time I didn’t like them anymore because I developed a better eye and I realized it wasn’t the right hat for me. My point about third party advice is that they might have a better eye to catch what you initially miss.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
So the thin ribbon idea has been tabled in favor of a replacement hat for this Whippet which is a 7 1/8 long oval which is a little to small for me.
IMG_20240330_185011503.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Flash.jpg
Introducing a one-of-a-kind offering from Gannon Hats, the new London Banker. One of the first bowler hats with the Gannon name, this unique build features a splendid reproduction of the famous D'Orsay curl that sets the bowler apart from other hat styles. Michael spent many hours with some pre-war bowlers to try to get the curl and binding as close as possible to the original. This sample, in charcoal, uses the traditional dimensions: 5-inch crown, 2-inch bound brim (1 5/8 on each side with the curl), and a 1 inch ribbon.

Class and style the Gannon way. Contact Michael and order your new London Banker today!
GB1.jpg GB2.jpg gb3.jpg 20240707_081730R1.jpg 20240707_081737R1.jpg 20240710_082042R1.jpg 20240710_082101R1.jpg 20240710_082118R1.jpg 20240710_082134R1.jpg

View attachment 629309
Introducing a one-of-a-kind offering from Gannon Hats, the new London Banker. One of the first bowler hats with the Gannon name, this unique build features a splendid reproduction of the famous D'Orsay curl that sets the bowler apart from other hat styles. Michael spent many hours with some pre-war bowlers to try to get the curl and binding as close as possible to the original. This sample, in charcoal, uses the traditional dimensions: 5-inch crown, 2-inch bound brim (1 5/8 on each side with the curl), and a 1 inch ribbon.

Class and style the Gannon way. Contact Michael and order your new London Banker today!
View attachment 629310 View attachment 629311 View attachment 629312 View attachment 629313 View attachment 629314 View attachment 629315 View attachment 629316 View attachment 629317 View attachment 629318
Very nice Randy! Congratulations to you & Michael for pulling this custom project together. What is the felt & how would you compare the finished hat to any of your many vintage derbies?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. It is a FEPSA dress weight beaver, so it has a silky finish that is better than many (but not all) of my vintage bowlers. Initially Michael had better success with the brim curl using western weight felt but ultimately figured out the right stiffiner mix and curling process to make the folded brim curl without the felt wrinkling using dress weight felt. The crown is not as stiff as vintage bowlers but I think with time and practice, Michael will figure it out. He has spent so much time learning to make soft/plush finishes that making a stiff felt hat was, in a sense, an"un-learning" process.

The other thing he did was to use a very fine stitching on the brim binding. This gives more of the appearance of vintage without actually hand stitching the binding. I know he spent many weeks in practice and preparation before he started the build and we exchanged dozens of emails during the process. It is not a perfect copy of a vintage bowler but it's about as close as I've seen.

Very nice Randy! Congratulations to you & Michael for pulling this custom project together. What is the felt & how would you compare the finished hat to any of your many vintage derbies?

beautiful hat Randy! is that fepsa felt?

chivaceae

New in Town
Beautiful bowler Randy!

This is inspiration to have my next Gannon, for which I already secured a FEPSA 100x beaver dress weight body in Darkest Brown (chocolate brown). I'll contact Michael ASAP to get my name in his list.

Raul

Thanks guys. It is a FEPSA dress weight beaver, so it has a silky finish that is better than many (but not all) of my vintage bowlers. Initially Michael had better success with the brim curl using western weight felt but ultimately figured out the right stiffiner mix and curling process to make the folded brim curl without the felt wrinkling using dress weight felt. The crown is not as stiff as vintage bowlers but I think with time and practice, Michael will figure it out. He has spent so much time learning to make soft/plush finishes that making a stiff felt hat was, in a sense, an"un-learning" process.

The other thing he did was to use a very fine stitching on the brim binding. This gives more of the appearance of vintage without actually hand stitching the binding. I know he spent many weeks in practice and preparation before he started the build and we exchanged dozens of emails during the process. It is not a perfect copy of a vintage bowler but it's about as close as I've seen.
Well done, Randy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads