Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds CHP HorseHide Jacket

albertogreco

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I've just placed my very first order for a LW CHP 4+ oz and now I have to get the right sizing.

Before I piss off Stu I'd like to double check with the community.

Can anyone share body proportions and size purchased?

I'm 175 cm (5'9"") / 73 kg (160 lbs)

Stu suggested between 38R and 40R - any recommendations from LW CHP owners would be helpful!

Thanks.

Alberto

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone,

I've just placed my very first order for a LW CHP 4+ oz and now I have to get the right sizing.

Before I piss off Stu I'd like to double check with the community.

Can anyone share body proportions and size purchased?

I'm 175 cm (5'9"") / 73 kg (160 lbs)

Stu suggested between 38R and 40R - any recommendations from LW CHP owners would be helpful!

Thanks.

Alberto
Alberto. With all due respect for some members. Stu knows his sizing much better than anyone here. Good luck with your purchase. Make sure you get a #10 size zipper for the front.

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’m same size as you and he recommended a 40 for my j24. Fit is spot on. Not sure if thats apples to apples. Sleeve and body length may need some adjustment. I’m a 33 in dress shirt.

albertogreco

New in Town
Great - thanks everyone - will keep updating this thread and when jacket will be ready will post the result
Alberto. With all due respect for some members. Stu knows his sizing much better than anyone here. Good luck with your purchase. Make sure you get a #10 size zipper for the front.
Thanks - i hadn’t thought about zippers. Will check!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any 10 zip but the Gripper.
Mine came with a #10 NOS Talon that failed after about a year. I had JL replace it with a #10 YKK and it has been trouble free.
I agree on the sizing. I’m 6’1” and weigh around 210 pounds. Stu asked my height and weight and recommended a size 46. I had him add sleeve and back length and make the back straight across (no kidney dip) with no belt loops. The jacket came out great.
IMG_8046.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

Mine came with a #10 NOS Talon that failed after about a year. I had JL replace it with a #10 YKK and it has been trouble free.

I agree on the sizing. I’m 6’1” and weigh around 210 pounds. Stu asked my height and weight and recommended a size 46. I had him add sleeve and back length and make the back straight across (no kidney dip) with no belt loops. The jacket came out great.
View attachment 646495
View attachment 646502

You know, I do think I changed a Talon on one of my LW but it’s going strong on another. Replaced with YKk. Perfect.

The Gripper’s tape can’t handle it. But Scoville sleeve zips are awesome.

OP- I’d spring for the Crown main zip. It’s awesome .

albertogreco

New in Town

View attachment 646495
View attachment 646502
What a masterpiece! What's the weight of this one?

bigmanbigtruck

A-List Customer
As more experienced people than I have mentioned, give Stuart a call and highlight any concerns. In my experience, I’ve only had to ask for length adjustments and maybe .5-1” shaved off the hem.

If you have any other leather jackets handy, you could send a fit pic along with measurements for him to get a better idea as well.

I’d trust his judgement when it comes to the overall sizing. He may think you’re in between sizes which is why he said 38R or 40R. You could probably get away with either, 38 for a trim fit but 40 for a little room though it won’t be excessive.

GL with the CHP. Look forward to seeing it in the future!

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Keeping an eye on this interesting topic. I heard LW CHP is the heaviest! I wish a few May pop up in classified here - ordering a brand new one and pay hefty import duties for UK really isn’t great

Margi92i

New in Town
Hi guys

I'm posting here, you all have a lot of Lost W. I'm on the edge to order a new jacket from Stu, but during the years reading about him and searching on his website a purchase felt redundant from Europe were I live at the moment.

Everyone knows at this point his jackets are bulletproof and need few years just to break them in order to by comfortable. Owning 1 now, j23 and bought a buco Ryder that's on the way from Japan.

I never ordered a new one from him, but I have an issue with one I have here with me.

His stock zippers are the weak point, that's easy to fix but costly nevertheless, with crown nos option.

Whatever personally have another huge issue and I want an upgrade if order a brand new jacket and paying 2-3k GBP from UK. Never anybody complained about it or at this time am afraid if I'm starting my negotiation with Stu about it I might have no jacket from him... that would be a blasphemy to mention after reading his description on the website about durability and high skilled machinists.

His bonded nylon tread isn't thick enough for the leather he use 4-oz.

Leather thickness, machine type, needle size, preferred stitch appearance and any specific strength requirements might be followed but I prefer my jacket to hold more than 20-years. This one it's before 2010 and already had to fix it myself because in high tension points where the leather it's thick thread snapped, annoying and hate to punch this nice leather because everything else it's spot on. I'm attaching photos to see the difference between my vanson 1970 cross zip and his j23 jacket.

The thread in vanson it's I would say double thickness and have already 50 years and it's going strong, no issues at all, and this in LW looks clean and small holes, more like a Japanese work but weak nevertheless.

Now I'm wondering what is the largest thread size his machine/machinist can use?

I don't care if stiching won't be so neat and thight and having small holes in the leathers. Nylon thread anyway stretch the leather in long term and holes get larger by time passing, that my son would decide with these jackets

He would accept to take in consideration to upgrade that, I don't care if need to pay more but I don't want anymore to have to repair these beautiful jackets, special a new one.

Left the belt with 4 stitches it's vanson

Other j23 belt

Noticeable in vanson the thickness of 50 years thread compared with what Stu used in j23.

Any thoughts about it?
Please help

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1716.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1710.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1721.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1717.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1718.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1720.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Could send him a few roles of Kevlar thread I buy off eBay ;) - mind you kevlar will just cut through the leather instead of snapping when tension is high!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Never anybody complained about it or at this time am afraid if I'm starting my negotiation with Stu about it I might have no jacket from him... that would be a blasphemy to mention after reading his description on the website about durability and high skilled machinists.

His bonded nylon tread isn't thick enough for the leather he use 4-oz.
I’m going to suggest that you do not want to tell Stuart that he is using the wrong thread when he makes his heavy HH jackets. The man is not particularly good with taking even small criticism and this seems like a fundamental attack on his entire process.
I agree with you that his stock zippers are not the best but I have not had any problems with the stitching on my 4 oz CHP.
Rather than attempt to tell him what thread he should use and how he should use it I think you should probably just order another jacket from Vanson.
Or reach out to Stu and see what he says, it might be entertaining!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun