Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds’ founder Stuart interviewed

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I both agree and disagree with this, and how I disagree seems worth mentioning. I don’t disagree that we have far more diverse voices today than in the past or that that’s a good thing. But that’s not the most significant change our society is undergoing.

The most significant change imo is a shift in focus from rational discourse and hard work to “feelings”. No society has ever been or will ever be on solid ground with “feelings.” And most of the more high-profile diversity agendas today are little more than propaganda for a “kinder” world under the smoke screen of diversity.

US society was not built on kindness and democracy has never been about respect for another person’s feelings. It is about hard-fought public discourse in the search for a truth we can all agree with or at least live with (or be forced to live with, in some cases), and it is also about having the gumption to follow our own personal truth to its conclusions - be those conclusions rewards or consequences.

And all this coddling crap about safe spaces and respect for feelings does not seem to me to serve that heritage one little bit.

But yeah, I agree that we have always favored the individual who is slow to speak, but only if what they say when they finally speak is worth listening to.
It's pretty far off topic to be discussing these points.

The way things were, and the way we got where we are, are not something we can control; they're in the past, and they're gone. They cannot be undone. We can remember them and learn from them, if anything.

The way forward, however, is our choice. We can choose to value kindness and respect, and we can aspire to live those values.

Whatever we choose, we should think about it, and be able to defend our choices.

When times have been tough, people have had to be tough and nasty to survive. And surviving is a value. But we can recognize when we don't need to be nasty to others in order to survive, to make our way, or to thrive. And the stronger and more secure we are, the less nasty we need to be. As a civilized society we ought to regard progress as moving the society in a direction where all are respected, all are treated with kindness, all are safe, and nastiness is needed less. Even if that's an impossible dream, it's a direction to aspire to move towards.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
As a civilized society we ought to regard progress as moving the society in a direction where all are respected, all are treated with kindness, all are safe, and nastiness is needed less.

Well, I’ll respectfully disagree. I don’t have to treat anybody with kindness just because - and the reason is that kindness and respect are totally relative constructs. Here is an easy example:

In the US, personal space is generally much larger than in Europe. For example, if I am in the US standing at a supermarket aisle making a selection, it is considered kind for someone to wait until I am finished to move in for their own selection in the area where I am looking. It’s not as common as it used to be (it used to be normal to wait) but I believe it is still considered “kind”.

In Europe, if someone is standing there deciding, then you move in quickly and take your selection - anything else is stupid and unkind both to yourself and to the other person because if you stand there waiting for them, they will feel rushed.

And this is an easy example. The differences between US culture and Chinese culture when it comes to “kindness” are extreme - in Chinese culture, you do not confront your neighbor if there is a conflict. If there is a disagreement, it is actually kinder to rake the leaves from your yard to theirs rather than to actually confront them. Again, a very low-level difference but you can imagine how such differences play out on the international stage - a lot of ******* miscommunication.

The end result of what you are saying is that there will be one authoritative “kindness” that we are all meant to adhere to - in fact, that is the way things are trying to go in our culture today and I say to hell with that. I am under zero imperative to be kind to someone who is lying, fabricating facts, pushing an elitist agenda or anything else that I strongly disagree with. Screw that. Or to be even more blunt with an example, I am under zero imperative to be “kind” to fans of Rings of Power or to the makers of that trash can of a show. ROP is a perfect example of how “feelings” have ruined our heritage under the smoke screen of “diversity.”

I also don’t think this discussion is off topic - rather, I believe it is EXACTLY what the topic is.

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
Can you post some pics of your lost worlds jacket? You resurrected this year old necro thread. Let’s see what you are all about.
Sure. Can you tell me what makes you think this thread is about an individual's jacket? You did read the thread title, right?

(edit: My apolgies, ton. I probably could have kept that to myself. I have a LW leather peacoat in transit to me now).

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Well, I’ll respectfully disagree. I don’t have to treat anybody with kindness just because - and the reason is that kindness and respect are totally relative constructs. Here is an easy example:

In the US, personal space is generally much larger than in Europe. For example, if I am in the US standing at a supermarket aisle making a selection, it is considered kind for someone to wait until I am finished to move in for their own selection in the area where I am looking. It’s not as common as it used to be (it used to be normal to wait) but I believe it is still considered “kind”.

In Europe, if someone is standing there deciding, then you move in quickly and take your selection - anything else is stupid and unkind both to yourself and to the other person because if you stand there waiting for them, they will feel rushed.

And this is an easy example. The differences between US culture and Chinese culture when it comes to “kindness” are extreme - in Chinese culture, you do not confront your neighbor if there is a conflict. If there is a disagreement, it is actually kinder to rake the leaves from your yard to theirs rather than to actually confront them. Again, a very low-level difference but you can imagine how such differences play out on the international stage - a lot of ******* miscommunication.

The end result of what you are saying is that there will be one authoritative “kindness” that we are all meant to adhere to - in fact, that is the way things are trying to go in our culture today and I say to hell with that. I am under zero imperative to be kind to someone who is lying, fabricating facts, pushing an elitist agenda or anything else that I strongly disagree with. Screw that. Or to be even more blunt with an example, I am under zero imperative to be “kind” to fans of Rings of Power or to the makers of that trash can of a show. ROP is a perfect example of how “feelings” have ruined our heritage under the smoke screen of “diversity.”

I also don’t think this discussion is off topic - rather, I believe it is EXACTLY what the topic is.
In the example you provided, in both cultures, the motivation behind the actions taken, whether to wait patiently or to squeeze in politely, is to be kind.

The rationale of how kindness is manifested is different.

Thus your example is not a point in favor of unkindness.

You got a problem, ton?
Simple question. I’ll help you. Here’s a few of mine. I’ve owned about a dozen over the years
IMG_2271.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

I want to k now what jacket or jackets you have that moved you enough to dig up a necro thread. I’ll wait.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
In the example you provided, in both cultures, the motivation behind the actions taken, whether to wait patiently or to squeeze in politely, is to be kind.

The rationale of how kindness is manifested is different.

Thus your example is not a point in favor of unkindness.
You missed the point. Kindness is relative. Who is going to tell us how to be kind to one another? Okay, the golden rule. Doesn’t apply in China or India. In South Asia, it is completely not impolite to stare. Get on a bus in Sri Lanka as a westerner and everyone will be looking straight at you for the entire journey. And don’t even get me started on the value of telling the truth in India.

Rational discourse, on the other hand, while also a construct with relative dimensions, has authority outside of human culture specifically in the realm of mathematics. It is a much higher standard and is currently under attack by the culture of “feelings” (or kindness, as you put it).

Biff42

A-List Customer
Simple question. I’ll help you. Here’s a few of mine. I’ve owned about a dozen over the years View attachment 642189
View attachment 642190
I want to k now what jacket or jackets you have that moved you enough to dig up a necro thread. I’ll wait.
Bro, that D-pocket was perfect! I'm sure you moved it on, but what a nice jacket.

I currently own two lost worlds. The graining/striations are pretty amazing. I know monitor isn't a fan of the texture of the LW leather, but I wonder if that's due to it being chrome-tanned versus veg?

Bro, that D-pocket was perfect! I'm sure you moved it on, but what a nice jacket.

I currently own two lost worlds. The graining/striations are pretty amazing. I know monitor isn't a fan of the texture of the LW leather, but I wonder if that's due to it being chrome-tanned versus veg?
The simple answer is Vanson. Always preferred Vanson.

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
Simple question. I’ll help you. Here’s a few of mine. I’ve owned about a dozen over the years View attachment 642189
View attachment 642190

From the tone of your remark I infer that this is a bit of a dick measuring contest for you but I'll reply to your demand with an unearned response all the same...

- This isn't about how many jackets I have of one kind or another.

- This isn't about your jackets.

- I don't share whatever narcissistic joy you may garner from posting unrequested selfies

- I was not aware that you were important enough to impose a 'best if used by date' on legacy threads, particularly those you didn't start

- Though participation here may be a selfie posting masturbatory experience for you others (such as myself) mine older threads for their merit. Were that not the case no one would be able to look up information on any manufacturer absent your permission.

- There's nothing about Stu's interview that is any less alive than Stu.

- On the topic of "necro thread" would you like to advise me as to how far back I'm allowed to look at other people's work?

And to respond directly to your crude expectation, I have a LW leather peacoat in transit now. I have no idea of quality, fit or whether it might meet your approval. I can tell you only that I do not require validation from others regarding fitment and I don't intend to feed whatever need you have for pics of me.

You strike me as a person that may be a bit sensitive and I am not. If you'd like to continue in this direction you may but you won't like it.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 642190
Ton, I think I bought your LW Ryder, didn't I. If not I have the same jacket. It is a really nice example, I like mine a lot.

Stuart's personality or his character doesn't bother me. If it's kayfabe or really him, doesn't matter. When he gets it right, his jackets are something else. I can disagree with someone and still find value in talking to them. I would be dumbfounded if I ever met someone who I agreed with about everything. I do think some things are worth fighting for but there's more civil ways to resolve differences that are preferred.

Anyhow, I'm glad I have my Ryder and my Buco Rider (purchased from Lina) long ago. Great quality, look good on me, and fit well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael