Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LF: Trench from Once Upon a Time in the West

MAPip

New in Town
Hello everyone!

Can we get some consensus on what kind of trench 2/3 of the bad dudes from the opening of Once Upon a Time in the West were wearing? I'd like to have one, and I'm sure some of you would too!

It's a darn shame Charles Bronson didn't grab one from one of his recently vanquished foes for the rest of the movie; although, his coat was no slouch.

Hanes also thinks this is a good style:
This trench is shorter and more modern, but the look is similar to a degree, at least until they have to advertise their product..

Thanks!

Attachments

• Once_Upon_a_West.jpg
    Once_Upon_a_West.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 24

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
The film was my favourite western in my youth and I saw it dozens of times. And of course I wanted to have one of those dust coats. I bought one and wore it from time to time. But it was actually completely out of place in the city. I wouldn't wear it like that today. lol

Kunja

Practically Family
Years ago (I’m talking 1980’s) after the man from snowy river, I had an oilskin duster made by the “Australian Outback collection”. I still see them on eBay once in a while. It was an awesome well made coat. So waterproof it would hold water in the pockets. Very authentic feeling coat and durable as hell. I used it as a tent a few times in my hitchhiking days.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Don't know your size at all, but these oilskin (cotton) duster's are all over ebay.

Here are a few nice ones in a very quick search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196599259216? ($80 or offer)

1726713032164.png

Or this darker one - Size Large for $50 or offer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/286063848417?

1726713269247.png

Having worn a couple of these years back, I would check with the seller on things like odor, etc. The oilskin itself - basically waxed cotton, is a little smelly all by itself. Also if it's been smoked in, good luck ever getting that cleared, as you likely cannot wash oiled or waxed cotton garments.

Here are the care guidelines for the second jacket above (actually pictured in the ebay ad):

1726713553403.png

One more thought - if you have never worn a waxed-cotton jacket, and plan to really use it, look for one that is lined inside. The waxed cotton can get clammy, and cold on windy days. I believe the lighter one I posted above is lined.

MAPip

New in Town
Don't know your size at all, but these oilskin (cotton) duster's are all over ebay.

Here are a few nice ones in a very quick search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196599259216? ($80 or offer)

View attachment 640680

Or this darker one - Size Large for $50 or offer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/286063848417?

View attachment 640681

Having worn a couple of these years back, I would check with the seller on things like odor, etc. The oilskin itself - basically waxed cotton, is a little smelly all by itself. Also if it's been smoked in, good luck ever getting that cleared, as you likely cannot wash oiled or waxed cotton garments.

Here are the care guidelines for the second jacket above (actually pictured in the ebay ad):

View attachment 640682

One more thought - if you have never worn a waxed-cotton jacket, and plan to really use it, look for one that is lined inside. The waxed cotton can get clammy, and cold on windy days. I believe the lighter one I posted above is lined.

My wife has a small waxed-cotton raincoat we found at a vintage shop a while ago and she never wears it because of what you say, not warm in the slightest! I can imagine one campfire-side night and it would smell forever, thanks for the tips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton