Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Key words for eBay searches

jtrenalone

New in Town
Just a quick question (may have been covered, but I cannot find a post with this info).

What keywords do you-all use when searching for vintage fedoras on eBay (besides "vintage fedora").
thanks,
Joel

billyspew

One Too Many
jtrenalone said:
Just a quick question (may have been covered, but I cannot find a post with this info).

What keywords do you-all use when searching for vintage fedoras on eBay (besides "vintage fedora").
thanks,
Joel

As per Michael's post... it's unlikely that any will share as we're competing against each other for the same goods. I for instance have about 60+ daily saved searches and I do not wish to share them with anyone!

dnjan

One Too Many
To help a new guy - try searching for brands. Most sellers know what brand of hat they are selling, but half seem to be clueless concerning what a fedora is.

It really doesn't matter because the hat you REALLY want find, the seller will mispell the word you are searching for & it'll only come up after it is sold at a price way below what you would pay for it & Lefty will post it in the ebay thread.....:rage: :eek:

theinterchange

One Too Many
"mad men", "michael jackson", "mobster", "gangster", "pimp", "Indiana Jones" :p Those are some of the tags I see added to hats in general and they make me laugh.

Randy

Michaelshane

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
It really doesn't matter because the hat you REALLY want find, the seller will mispell the word you are searching for & it'll only come up after it is sold at a price way below what you would pay for it & Left will post it in the ebay thread.....:rage: :eek:
Truer words have never been spoken.......lol

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
It really doesn't matter because the hat you REALLY want find, the seller will mispell the word you are searching for & it'll only come up after it is sold at a price way below what you would pay for it & Lefty will post it in the ebay thread.....:rage: :eek:

So, all we really need are Lefty's search terms.lol

I limit myself to three brands only. Any guesses as to which ones?

Brad

jtrenalone

New in Town
thanks for the input to all..I was thinking after I posted that everyone has there special words to draw out the sleepers, so I did not mean to ruffle any featherslol

I also have seen ones such as "pimp" etc. I am almost embarrassed to use some of them:)

I have been sticking to the brands that I like,
Thanks again,
Joel

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I made the mistake of asking before, and came across the same response. I don't eBay often, so there's no real reason for me to be in the 'know'. Not that I'm usually in the 'know' in any case, but this time, much less so. I stick to the classifieds, myself. Lots of really kind folks willing to help out fellow Loungers. Much less hit-or-miss than on eBay. And you know the previous owner really took care of them. Usually when I am on eBay, I search 'vintage [insert brand name here]', watch the cheapest and best looking ones, and drop them like dirty rags after they go over my limit. Or type 'fedora', and prepare for many hours of tedious searching. And start yelling after I lose to snipers.

Happy hat-hunting!
flute

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:

Ain't that the truth!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Add terms for what you DON'T want

OK, here's something that may help cut down on the number of returns you get: put a dash before a word to tell the search engine to not return an auction with that word. For example, -wool. (Of course, with that one you run the risk of missing out on a great hat because to some sellers all hats are wool, even when the sweatband says 100% Beaver!) The same with -new; that narrows things down but then you miss the "like new" description. So use them, but be aware of their limitations.

Others I use depending on the area I'm searching are -trucker and -baseball and -cap (unless I'm looking for a cap). That helps narrow down the searches in the non-vintage areas.

I hope that helps!
Tom

jtrenalone

New in Town
Yeah, I have found some nice hats (did not win) just using "old hat".

Unfortunately, I have purchase 2 recently that were not described properly (no surprise). I found a knox twenty that was described as in very good condition, but when I received it it was so spotted on the felt (spots were permanent) I returned it (the seller did accept it back). Too bad, it could have been a nice hat. But that is just eBay.

I am going to keep a look out on the classifieds here on the board, as I am a 7 3/8, so fewer to find,
Thanks Again to all,
Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe