Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith Richard's fedora

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I assume that your hat was originally like this: ?

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=249&subcname=Borsalino

What have you done with the shape from that then?

The Alessandria is an open crown hat, says so right on that link that you posted.

Any fur felt worth buying is shapeable or re-shapable as the case may be. There are plenty of threads on specific types of hat bashes, but it's really not a daunting task, you just start pushing the felt around.

bennyboyca

New in Town

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Keith's hat is probably shorter than an Alessandria. Also, you can change the crease to change the height in the front and the back.

Look friend, I'm not entirely sure what kind of advice you're really looking for. If you want a shapeable hat that's like an Alessandria that's not the price of a Borsalino, check out the Akubra Campdraft. The Alessandria is very close to the Stetson Open Road, which is basically what the Campdraft is. (Akubra produced the Open Road under license from Stetson in Australia, when the license expired, they renamed it the Campdraft).

campdraft-taupefawn-large.jpg

It comes open crown, not shaped as above. It's $110 US from Hatsdirect.com. Plenty durable, and will take a hollywood brim well.

My computer won't let me pull up the Keith Richard photo. However, I think the Borso Allesandria is a very nice hat. I have several vintage versions. The crown is a nice height and
I think the modern brims are about 2 3/4. Depends on what look you are going for, some blues musicians, particularly here in the States seem to prefer more stingy brims.

I think you could take a hat like the Alessandria, shape it yourself, give it a Hollywood brim and look pretty cool for a band performance. Just my tuppence worth.

frussell

One Too Many
Open Door? That would be me, at least one of them. I'm still waiting. Miller Hats is not my favorite store to do business with. They really stick to their no refunds policy, even at the cost of alienating future repeat customers. Hopefully I'll get my hat, but so far, all I've gotten is a lot of "just a few more weeks" emails. I'd stick to the Campdraft, as we know it exists, and Jenny and company at Hatsdirect will get it to you in 10 days or less, in most cases. Frank

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I assume that your hat was originally like this: ?

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=249&subcname=Borsalino

What have you done with the shape from that then?

It comes open crown. I asked Peters Brothers in Texas who sold it to give it a shape like their picture, and they did. Then I had my local hatter re-block it to something more like I like, like your Bencraft pictures. I always go for the crown style called "center dent with pinches." The brim, I just had the guy make fairly flat. It's still flexible.

bennyboyca

New in Town
Is the Federation IV the hat for me?

Hi, right, I think I am closer to deciding on which fedora to go for, I have been looking for one similar to the one seen on Keith Richards-

http://blogs.reuters.com/uknews/2010/11/04/best-of-britain-on-display/

Since looking around and getting advice off you great people, the Federation IV looks like the best bet in Tawny Fawn-

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=50&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

Hatsdirect emailed me back saying that the crown is 5 5/8ths inches (comes as an open crown hat). And the brim is dimensional cut to 2 1/2" on the sides and 2 3/4" front and back.

My only concern is, does it look really Indiana Jones-ish? I dont want to go for that look you see.... What do you think? Also, what is the quality of these hats like a Borsalino for example?

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My only concern is, does it look really Indiana Jones-ish? I dont want to go for that look you see.... What do you think? Also, what is the quality of these hats like a Borsalino for example?

I think it would look really Indiana Jones-ish, which is why I'm not buying one. It's got a retro style with tall, stovepipe crown meant to evoke the 1930s. Works for Harrison Ford, but I'm personally not shooting for that look. Re its quality versus Borsalino, as I don't own a Fed IV I can't be sure, but I think the Fed IV will be more durable and rain-worthy, whereas a Borsalino has a finer style, meaning can dress up better than a Fed IV. Depends on which Borsalino you're talking about though. My Alessandria does not give me the impression of being very dressy, although it's dressier than the Open Road which is was meant to compete with.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi, right, I think I am closer to deciding on which fedora to go for, I have been looking for one similar to the one seen on Keith Richards-

http://blogs.reuters.com/uknews/2010/11/04/best-of-britain-on-display/

Since looking around and getting advice off you great people, the Federation IV looks like the best bet in Tawny Fawn-

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=50&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

Hatsdirect emailed me back saying that the crown is 5 5/8ths inches (comes as an open crown hat). And the brim is dimensional cut to 2 1/2" on the sides and 2 3/4" front and back.

If you DON'T want the Indy look, then the Borso would be your ONLY choice btwn the two hats you have looked at. There are LOT'S of other hats from OTHER co's. out there which could be made to look like KR's hat, (If the crown is tall and open, you can make it look like his), but given the two choices you offered, the Borso is it. :)

bennyboyca

New in Town
Can you give some examples of other hats that could be made to look like Keith Richard's hat then??

Also, would it even look like an Indy hat if I was to shape it like Keith's?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Depends what you mean by the 'Indy look', I suppose.... shape or colour. Any fedora is likely to get you 'Indy' comments, if that's what concerns you, and a brown one will guarantee it.

Duper

Practically Family
I own the tawny fawn Fed IV. It is a very nice hat and it "wears" well. The brown ribbon truely compliments the lighter shade of the felt.

As for being an IJ hat,,gtdean and Edward are both right in their responses. I have gotten a few Indiana Jones comments, but they were not hurled at me by some loud mouth at a distance, they were up close by some sales clerk or friend in jest. You can smile, shrug and move on or thank them if it was intended as a compliment.

When I wear my Banjo Paterson I have been told I look like an Aussie, and in an ivy cap I have been told I look like a typical Englishman and in an aviator style winter hat I have been called 'comrade" many times. Funny, I have never been mistaken for a baseball player in all the years I wore ball caps? :)

If the rest of your attire looks like what Keith Richards is wearing in the photo, I don't think you will get too many IJ comments.

And finally, a new Fed IV well set you back pocket wise much less than a new Borso.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld