Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith Richard's fedora

bennyboyca

New in Town
A fedora that would suit a band player?

Right guys, after endless searching for a fedora close to Johnny Depp's 'grey one' I have come to the conclusion that I wont find anything close. I am in a rock/ blues band and want a fedora, I've basically been looking at pics and found the Johnny Depp one and thought- that's cool, but anyway, I also LOVE the one seen worn by Keith Richards, this one here:

http://www.sosojuicy.com/category/person/johnny-depp

I like how it seems to be flexible rather than a stiff hat, and I like the over all proportions of it..

Does anyone know where I could get one to closely match this/ a make that does them like this?

Thanks,
Benny.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Benny,

Drop me an to email info@thehatmovement.co.uk and I'll give you some advice... I personally feel you need to try some on, let me know where you are based geographically.

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting website. Why don't you break out a page or two outlining the tradition of British hats in particular? Probably British hat lines were diferent, even if marginally, from German hats, Italian hats, possibly French, and American ones. One could probably present a fair bit of material on American hats, for example, if your site were about America. If I were British, I'd be interested in my specific hat fashion roots as well as current styles, to add dimensionality to the hobby.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Right guys, after endless searching for a fedora close to Johnny Depp's 'grey one' I have come to the conclusion that I wont find anything close. I am in a rock/ blues band and want a fedora, I've basically been looking at pics and found the Johnny Depp one and thought- that's cool, but anyway, I also LOVE the one seen worn by Keith Richards, this one here:

http://www.sosojuicy.com/category/person/johnny-depp

I like how it seems to be flexible rather than a stiff hat, and I like the over all proportions of it..

Does anyone know where I could get one to closely match this/ a make that does them like this?

Thanks,
Benny.

There are plenty of hats out there that are close, but if you want the exact hat, you have to expand your budget. You can also add binding and change the ribbon to an open crown hat and get fairly close.

As far as the topic of this thread, IMHO there isn't a specific set of specs which would make a particular fedora unsuitable for a band player, it's all in what YOU like. I second billyspew, it sounds like you need to try on a bunch of hats.

danofarlington

There are plenty of hats out there that are close, but if you want the exact hat, you have to expand your budget. .

I would add, you have to log a lot of Internet hours searching also. At some point it isn't worth it. You might have liked equally well or better something else that is similar. If you're too militant about exactly replicating a particular one, then you may also pass by others that could've fit in well with you, which you might regret later when you consider other kinds of looks.

billyspew

One Too Many
Interesting website. Why don't you break out a page or two outlining the tradition of British hats in particular? Probably British hat lines were diferent, even if marginally, from German hats, Italian hats, possibly French, and American ones. One could probably present a fair bit of material on American hats, for example, if your site were about America. If I were British, I'd be interested in my specific hat fashion roots as well as current styles, to add dimensionality to the hobby.

That's eventually the plan... I have done a lot of research on the Denton hat industry, the London felting factories etc. Just takes a lot of time!
Also been trying to do a lot of brand specific research, Lock is easy as there is a book on the subject. Attaboy and Dunn harder. Christys I'm leaving at the moment in the hope that I can get the information from them directly.

I do appreciate you taking the time to feedback!

Right, back on topic!

danofarlington

That's eventually the plan... I have done a lot of research on the Denton hat industry, the London felting factories etc. Just takes a lot of time!
Also been trying to do a lot of brand specific research, Lock is easy as there is a book on the subject. Attaboy and Dunn harder. Christys I'm leaving at the moment in the hope that I can get the information from them directly.

I do appreciate you taking the time to feedback!

Right, back on topic!

Sounds good. I would be especially interested to know what were considered "high style" English hats, as opposed to counterparts in other countries, assuming there are differences that would make it worthwhile. British suits, for instance, are a different animal than Italian suits. I'd be interested to read an exposition and photos of the best of each type of hat, focusing on the range and evolution of styles, besides knowing about the manufacturers.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Seems to me that one of the more integral features you're looking at is a hat that will wear a Hollywood Brim well. I know I have a vintage Mallory that takes one quite well (along with other styles) and it's the hat I've worn to a few local Blues Jams back home. It will probably also be the one I wear when I get my stuff together enough to take an axe along and step up on stage myself. The attitude (didn't someone here coin the word "Hattitude"?) displayed by the Hollywood brim really befits a musician or other entertainer IMO. Very cocky, confident and devil may care sort of thing...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The attitude (didn't someone here coin the word "Hattitude"?) displayed by the Hollywood brim really befits a musician or other entertainer IMO. Very cocky, confident and devil may care sort of thing...

It also makes being lit easier, since it keeps shadow out of the face, whether on stage or elsewhere.

bennyboyca

New in Town
A question about NEW Borsalino Alessandria fedoras

Does anyone know/ have any experience of new Borsalino Alessandria? My question is, can the pinch/ crown and brim be shaped? And how easy are they to shape?

danofarlington

Does anyone know/ have any experience of new Borsalino Alessandria? My question is, can the pinch/ crown and brim be shaped? And how easy are they to shape?

Yes. Easy. I didn't do it myself, but my local hatter did mine four or so years ago, and it still holds its shape. With the Alessandria though I would keep it out of the rain if you like its shape and had someone do it. On the other hand, if you are shaping it yourself and don't mind doing that, I'm sure it will stand up to the rain and you can reshape it as necessary. If your question is how to shape it, someone else here no doubt will chime in.

bennyboyca

New in Town
Ahhh right, thanks Dan, do you have any pics of it??

And if any of you guys can tell me how to shape them / any tips, that'd be great!

danofarlington

By the way, it's best to resign yourself to the fact that the Alessandria is a soft and floppy hat, unlike the hard shell of other makes. The crown on mine has held its shape, kept out of any elements except for snow, but the brim is floppy. Shapeable by hand, but definitely not a stiff brim. It's fine for me--hasn't gone wavy, though it might if it were soaked by rain. Anyway that's one of the things I like about the Alessandria--it's a little more classy that way seems to me--but others talking about Borsalinos on the site here have been concerned about Borsalino's softness of felt. Just so you're forewarned. But I like mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld