Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith Richard's fedora

T Rick

Practically Family
I'd note that in the ad, the eBay hat isn't even the color shown, it's much darker charcoal. And though it looks similar, seems like a lot of money for wool felt. And the ad even says "(If you want johnny's color then you don't want charcoal grey, you want Czech Caribou Fur Felt)". So it looks like you'd need this one then.

Some very basic features of the hat Johnny is wearing are missing in the others you show. If you really want to duplicate the look of that hat, you need a bound brim and a ribbon that is very close to the same color of the hat (and about the same width pictured).

bennyboyca

New in Town
I'd note that in the ad, the eBay hat isn't even the color shown, it's much darker charcoal. And though it looks similar, seems like a lot of money for wool felt. And the ad even says "(If you want johnny's color then you don't want charcoal grey, you want Czech Caribou Fur Felt)". So it looks like you'd need this one then.

Some very basic features of the hat Johnny is wearing are missing in the others you show. If you really want to duplicate the look of that hat, you need a bound brim and a ribbon that is very close to the same color of the hat (and about the same width pictured).

I have decided to not even consider the one on eBay. So which would you go for in my possition? OR any others you can suggest?
Thanks,
Ben.

The fur felts are all pretty good choices. The question as to color really comes down to what do you usually wear that you'd want to be pairing the hat with... I have grey hats that get worn a bunch and a great silverbelly / ivory one that only gets worn with certain clothes. My brown ones tend to get worn the most.

Silverbelly can be anything from a very light grayish color to light tan, almost greenish cast.
I would guess the silverbelly from Miller is a very light silver gray, which in certain light would almost appear white. I think it's a nice color, actually. Depends on what you want to wear it with. You could also contact Miller and ask what shade the color is.

DRB

One Too Many
Keep in mind that when dealing with millerhats that you cannot get your money back if you don't like it. You have to exchange it for something that was not tops of your list.

T Rick

Practically Family
Can't suggest a specific one, but I'd continue the search. First, if you want to color match it, then Silver Belly is an iffy proposition. Of those few I've seen, they were anything but silver. You are looking at Johnny in a hat I'd call dove gray (perhaps just light gray, or even silver).

Next, to match that hat, the ribbon has to be right, and the bound edge also. Either Custom or simply continue to look for something that matches closer. I am sure continuing the search could lead to a better match than what I'm seeing in your OP (of course, ribbons can always be changed, perhaps the easiest modification therefore least important specific in your search).

The thing I dont get is, why does this SILVERBELLY look white? Do you think this is what it would look like in person or is it just the picture/ my screen??

http://www.millerhats.com/fedora_hats/fedorahats12.html

First the picture then your screen. Silverbelly is not white. This topic got a lot of coverage around the hat that Jeff Bridges wore in Seabiscuit. The hat on screen looked gray-silver but the actual hat owned by Art Fawcett is Silverbelly & in person has a tannish look to it. It is all about lighting source IMHO. The photos used for catalogs use lighting & flashes that bounce a bluer light off the hat that comes to us via the web as whiter than real life. JMHO...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First the picture then your screen. Silverbelly is not white. This topic got a lot of coverage around the hat that Jeff Bridges wore in Seabiscuit. The hat on screen looked gray-silver but the actual hat owned by Art Fawcett is Silverbelly & in person has a tannish look to it. It is all about lighting source IMHO. The photos used for catalogs use lighting & flashes that bounce a bluer light off the hat that comes to us via the web as whiter than real life. JMHO...

Defining the actual color of silverbelly is a lot like determining the beaver content of a Stetson X value.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Silverbelly is somewhat misleading as a name, the color itself is not very "silver," certainly very little like the grey hat you're after. Akubra's "moonstone" is close, but not an exact match to my eyes. His hat is very close to a vintage Resistol I have, which is tagged as "Orbit" for the color. The "Steel Gray" on Miller's site looks pretty close as well.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
That's a good point, Stylemaster or Bogart might be close enough. Check http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/

The Stylemaster I would think has a bit too much taper for the Depp hat.

Hard to tell from the angle, but the CEO might be a good choice although it looks like the brim is not quite as wide:
Fashion-CEO-CruiserGrey-Preview.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
It would be great if we could nail down what hat Johnny wears an make it a sticky thread so that those wishing to know the answer will know. He needs to get a contract with one of the big hat company's to make signature hat. His hat is as popular as Indy's.

T Rick

Practically Family
It would be great if we could nail down what hat Johnny wears an make it a sticky thread so that those wishing to know the answer will know. He needs to get a contract with one of the big hat company's to make signature hat. His hat is as popular as Indy's.

Well, he's got more than one (of course). And from what I've seen/read, it seems he may prefer vintage. As I recall, there was a thread a month or so ago that looked at a light brown one, it was concluded to be most likely a vintage Borsalino (IIRC).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld